LOD problems - Trees & Water

Hello,

I have the same feeling… Landscape seems to be smooth and like back to few years ago…

Do others have the same feeling?

1 Like

Here is a small comparison with the old XP11 is able to do and my photos above.
Where is MSFS NG in this area?

1 Like

It’s really sad how they keep downgrading the graphics. I’m not a developer but if they are doing it because of adding loads of features, it’s just a bad optimizing. Trees, terrain, night lighting, noisy clouds, all of those are way way worse than some time after release.

5 Likes

I believe the release notes are missing this one:

WORLD

• Increased tree display distance in using oversized trees and vegetation

NB: Porte Maillot - Paris

2 Likes

The Xbox port is detrimental to the pc version quality.

They are readying the xbox version and hardlocking performance to suit a lesser system.
Don’t ever forget that XBOX is Microsoft, and Microsoft will potentially make more money of casual gamers. They surely wouldn’t want the xbox version to look subpar to the pc version, especially since the xbox crowd will only really want the eyecandy.
They also don’t want 2 branches of the same engine (xbox/pc) to save on dev costs. So they are manipulating the pc version to fit the xbox system, and what is the most taxing on any system, view distance detail aka object lod.

Only hope I have left is Asobo mentioning during the last Q&A livestream that they are “looking into” graphics settings beyond “ultra” for pc.

This is common practice in the gaming industry by the way. Remember Watchdogs e3 versus console version? E3 was running on a high end pc to show what was possible. Selling the dream.

5 Likes

I hope you’re right about the “beyond Ultra settings.” I have recently bought a new gaming rig and I would really like to squeeze every little bit of performance I have. Right now my settings are all at Ultra and the sim certainly does not look that way.

1 Like

They briefly mentioned it during the QA session. I really hope they don’t limit pc version to cater to the xbox audience. For once I REALLY hope I’m completely wrong.

1 Like

These kinds of giant plants are a known problem occuring in photogrammetry areas and have been around since the first release back in August. Has nothing to do with the recent updates. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve not yet enjoyed these giant plants. Just the regular larger than life trees that are larger than the building around them. TOOU, if you will.

They are more rare than the giant trees stuck in buildings, but they can be found in pretty much any photogrammetry city that I’ve visited.

Here is one in New York City, quite fittingly down the block from the Ghostbusters headquarters on the right. :smiley:

2 Likes

I just wish they fix these trees issue. I thought it was just me when I fly from my small town airport on the west coast of India in Goa. When sitting at the runway to take off, there are massive shrubs in the that obscure the view of the distant windsock, terminal and surroundings! The terminal building in real life is atleast 60 feet tall (20 meters) and the vegetation in the game actually has shrubs and trees taller than that!

2 Likes

Blockquote * Either they don’t have the actual feedback we do post here, or to Zendesk (I’ve been documenting these LOD ring distance problems since, well, way back last year)

I could direct my dead grandpa to this forum and one of the first 5-10 issues you would stumble on is LOD/Tree issue. I bet you my Premium Deluxe version that Asobo does know exactly what is going on but doesn’t want to blatantly give away that this is caused by some non pc related optimisations.

2 Likes

I saw one of these last night and it got me wondering…

Do we all see the same mutant vegetation in the same places? Is that baked in or is it an artefact of auto-generated foliage?

I have no idea but I now feel compelled to look. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I haven’t flown around New York in ages, and this is a good enough excuse. I’ll upload a screenshot of that location in a bit.

Yes, I see exactly the same thing.

I also wanted to get a shot with a car in it, for perspective purposes, in case anyone ever suggests the current tree size implementation is realistic:

Here’s another location with a screenshot and location info that I uploaded last night.

They rather look like giant shrubs than a tree in those close-ups.

1 Like

I’m considering buying some for my living room’s low-table.

1 Like

Well soon it will be too late for MS to decide whether they want to end up with a pc simulator or a console game… they should see they cannot get both at a time.

Personally, I’m up for a veritable pc simulator.

9 Likes

So true unfortunately

1 Like

The latest WU has only brought this problem into sharper relief. The tree distances are terrible in the more northerly countries.

Please Asobo, fix this.