Support for Wide FOV VR headsets (removing Frustum Culling issue)-

@legia92
I believe this is a more general VR problem solely due to FS2020.

In effect, with the last few SteamVR version you can limit the FOV and when I reduce it to 50% in SteamVR with the Index, I can see FS2020 is over-culling the objects too early on the sides. In other words: with SteamVR FOV set to 50% trees (for example) are disappearing before reaching the edge of the view when turning the head around.

NB: In my opinion there is a logical possibility the game could be under-culling objects with any VR device with more than 90 deg FOV therefore. If this is the case, the game could actually be delivering lower performance in VR because it would be processing unnecessary objects.

NB: The inverse effect if happening with the selection of object LODs. In short, it displays highest details (lowest LOD) if the object is at 45 deg from center, and the next LOD (lowest details) if the object is at the center.

Here are more details about this (with screenshots):
LOD Problems - Distances revisited - #38 by CptLucky8

I don’t know whether this has anything to do with the many other LOD problems, but it seems these are still prevalent and still not fixed.

For what it’s worth, here is a compilation of topics I’ve already posted:

[08OCT2020] Trees draw distance is different per-species AND per-Trees LOD setting
[16OCT2020] Some trees are disappearing then reappearing
[25OCT2020] LOD Problems - Distances revisited

In Zendek:

More posts on the subject matter:

LOD is shorter near the poles:

Object selection based on LOD/size is erratic:

Tree objects are wrongly scaled (with pictures):

LOD problems - Trees & Water - #1026 by CptLucky8

Distance based Object LOD selection wrong by 45 degrees (pictures):

LOD Problems - Distances revisited - #32 by CptLucky8

Distance based Lights visibility wrong by 45 degrees (pictures):

LOD Problems - Distances revisited - #38 by CptLucky8

MP aircraft lights in VR aren’t showing past 5nm:

Increase distance threshold to see other aircraft navigation and strobe lights at night

My compilation of LOD UI settings suggestions

LOD: settings and suggestions

2 Likes