Low bandwidth driving me crazy

I get a constant 230 Mb/s download speed and my buildings will not load until I am right on top of them. If I pause and wait a minute, I can get everything to load. After a year of dealing with this terrible sim and now SU5 flushing it further down the toilet, I have a few choice words that I will keep to myself for now.

I believe that the servers can no longer handle the load since X-Box. I doubt that MS will do anything about it either.

Just posed a topic on this, looking at my network use as I fly, for some reason I only get decent bandwidth at very low level, anything higher and it gets pulled right back. Very strange.

Are you on Bell?

I’m on the East coast but have awful speeds to MS Servers on a Bell Fibe 1.5Gbps connection. It’s been like that for me since the Tech Alpha. I tried contacting Bell, spent many hours on the phone with managers, but they are steadfast in their assessment that the issue is with MS.

I ran a bunch of testing scenarios and sent them to Zendesk yesterday for them to look at.

For me, if I use a VPN, I can change the download server that I get updates from and my download speeds go from 13Mbps up to close to 300Mbps (when connected to New York on VPN). I feel like this rules out problems with my computer, and equipment and the issue has to lie with either the provider (Bell) or server (MS). Hopefully somebody eventually looks at some of these servers.

I wish that MS would give users the option to change servers on the download screen. From what I can tell, what server you download from is being selected solely based on your physical location without any regard to what server is fastest for you. Having the ability to change locations would provide some relief for those of us who have connection issues either because of the server or because of a dreadfully slow hop on the route we take to that server.

It may be ISP-related.

My download speeds have always been very good with MSFS, (I started at Alpha 4), and SU5 was no exception. My internet is provided by Spectrum cable. I am located in south central New York State. It is a 200MB service, and SU5 streamed at almost the full 200MB on the larger files, with no slowdown and no looping. That was my experience with the initial release version last August, and with every succeeding sim and world update since then.

I do have a top-end router, (a Netgear RAXE500), but I think the main reason that I have consistent good results with MSFS bandwidth is that (typically), there are only three intermediate hops between Spectrum’s backbone network and the Azure US East server. In my case, that is “just the luck of the draw”.

I

If the MS/Azure/Asobo servers being overloaded was the cause for slow downloads and slow streaming, then everyone would be impacted equally.

We get to choose the servers we use. Currently my server response time is 28 ms. Should I change it to the server with 205 ms response time? No, because download and streaming times and multiplayer lag would be a lot longer.

You are 100% correct in your statement.
But you have other people saying they have no problem their average down load is 212 MBps. It is obvious that you have to take their statements with a grain of salt.

I also have 50Mbps Download speed , and i also get this low bandwidth message. I never had this problem before , i get this message 5 minutes after takeoff from small Caribbean country like Dominican Republic or any small island. Seem to be some other problem not internet.

You also have people who play the sim problem free and people who are plagued with problems. I don’t know what causes said problems, but they are there and they’re real. And I don’t believe that most of them are self inflicted or on the user’s end.

1 Like

I was getting 7Mbps to 54Mbps download depending on city or country. Looking
at my Task Manager under Network before the update.
Now 300Kbps to 800Kbps max on a 400Mbps service.
My feeling for the possible cause.

1. To many users server load?
  2. Since the reduction of available CPU and GPU Ram is the program rejecting the scenery because it has no Ram space to put it in?
  3. Did Asobo limit the download speed because of the additional users?
  4. We first seen this slowdown during the 40GB and 20GB update?
    I really don’t know because we have no information what Asobo did in the update.

Irregular download speeds like this have been a thing since launch. This is nothing to do with Xbox.

I believe you. Only problem I never had any slowdowns before the update?

From August of last year to January of this year, I was downloading updates at over 400 Mbits. From February to April, I was downloading at under 20 Mbits. Every update since, I’ve been at about 100-150.

I have 1 Gbit fibre.

Do you know what your scenery update speed is ? Kbps or Mbps? Looking at the Task Manager when flying?

Is there any way that we could ping Microsoft server?

I have also been getting this message about PG scenery and bandwidth issues since the update. Prior SU5 I had it happen once, now it’s at least once to several times a flight i hit ignore and I just get terrible scenery. I wish I new what to do about it or at least that it’s temporary and will get better or get corrected. However, with every update my experience with this sim gets worse and worse so I’m not expecting anything good to come from the next one.
If you ever find a solution for this please post it. This is not just happening to you, Its a problem for sure

You can.

Go to Settings > General Options > Data > Manual Cache and you will be allowed to go over the planet and select specific areas you want to Pre-download.

The only “bad” part about this, is that depending on your altitude/distance you’re viewing a particular area - you will only download the specific detail of that area at the current distance/altitude you’re selecting on the grid pattern. For more detail, you’ll have to zoom in closer and re-select the area you’re wanting to download.

Time stampted a video for you

Same here since SU5. I’m in SoCal and have been playing since release. In my last two flights since SU5 I’ve gotten low bandwidth warnings on both of them. I hadn’t seen a low bandwidth warning in at least six months. Very frustrating.

If been getting switch to offline mode playing in small city . It keeps disconnecting and connecting then switch to offline mode. My connection is good my ISP doesn’t have any data cap . Speedtest shows that its good. Don’t know what’s the problem or how to fix it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.