Lower Resources in the Menu, Downloading, and Minimized. FPS cap?

Hi @anon55442831

I realise Zendesk can feel like a black hole sometimes, but bug reports are important.

While you are unlikely to get feedback via Zendesk unless they need more information from you, all tickets are reviewed, moved to the internal QA system and triaged.

When a bug report has been reviewed and transferred to the other tool, it will be marked as solved, but that does not mean it will be resolved in the next patch.

While I appreciate that it feels like the information through bug reporting systems can be pointless, it is not ignored. We do appreciate feedback through the forums, as it allows a place for community discussions. However, while tickets are guaranteed to be reviewed, forum topics are not.

As for stirring up a hornets nest, all posts are required to abide by the Code of Conduct. While criticism is appreciated, it is required to be constructive.

1 Like

But not only in MSFS menu, here are multiple screenshots posted by you showing 80c+ temps @ 80% GPU load during game play and your CPU running hot too under low load :thinking:

Also during download of the contents. Why the gpu is at 99%? Is e nonsense for me.

just set your VSync to 60 FPS in the game before you update. It will limit the menus to 60FPS, instead of 300+

1 Like

it’s a solution when we download fromt content manager. But the problem remain for the updates.

if you install MSI Afterburner, it comes with the Rivatuner tool, you can use that to limit FPS as well. This will work everywhere.

I don’t think it’s necessary for just update, My laptop’s fan is as loud as an Boeing 777 taking off :smiley:

Enable Vsync in game, or use an external tool (like RivaTuner that comes with MSI afterburner) to limit the framerate. Will help until Asobo limit the FPS in menus :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot, hope Asobo can fixed it soon :smile:

no please not, this is my test if my GPU is still alive. While it is not utilized in the game, at least in the menu I can hear the fan… and know it survived.

*Sarcasm off

of course I gave my vote :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, there should be a separate cap that applies to the installation manager as well.

Setting a frame rate limit cap, in my case 60fps, in the GPU driver is a workaround for now.

I know I’ve read threads complaining about this but I could not find a topic to vote to get the issue some priority.
It seems the sim wants to give an inordinate amount of GPU resources to the opening menu and just about any time when not in an active flight.
I’ve read threads suggesting to limit FPS but when I do that say 50 FPS limit in Nvidia control it also knocks down my FPS when flying (not sure why cause I rarely get close to that when flying unless I really turn down graphic settings.)
But it’s gotten to the point that I have to hurry into fly now just to cool down my GPU and slow the frame rate.
Most recent work around I found was this.
GPU on full power Fix
My GPU cools to 35 C and FPS 3-4 in this state. Any other menu in the sim goes to well over 100 FPS and 80+ C even though very little is changing graphically.
If there is already another wishlist thread on this please count me in. If there is a better option to fix this other than limit FPS in Nvidia control please clue me in, but while that works it kills my FPS when flying. There has got to be a better option than to park the Sim in the load Flight paln menu to solve this.

The only solution I’ve found is what you have said, limiting FPS via nvidia control panel. Even though you can have more than 50 FPS, limiting to 50 fps won’t result in lower quality of using sim and will let you gc remain cooler when in menu and also while you are updating

I run the sim at 31 FPS and I don’t see any major advantage of using a higher limit.

Agree it should be fixed but probably not a priority given list of things that need fixing

1 Like

I fully agree. This is absurd. The worst part is it’s also like that during the download, which for example on my internet takes several hours (up to 12 for the full installation). It’s just such a waste of energy. Resizing the window and limiting FPS kind of helps but it still uses 30% GPU where it should be 0% - just a simple 2D screen with a progress bar. It’s kind of amazing this hasn’t been fixed already. Been like that since the tech alpha.

I’ve set my graphics card’s power limit to the lowest value in Afterburner. As I’m CPU bottleneck’d anyway, this helps a lot.

Edit: I’ve seen that “high GPU load in main menu” behavior in many games now. Some fixed it eventually, some didn’t.

FPS limit in the Nvidia driver has worked for me, and I just leave it at 60FPS.

Do you use G-Sync/FreeSync? 31 fps at 60 Hz will cause unnecessary stuttering otherwise since you’re not getting an even divisor of the refresh rate. 30 fps with half-refresh rate V-sync will probably look smoother.

Thanks hoban and Flyertuck for the replies. Just to be clear we are talking about changing just in the Nvidia control settings for MSFS and not the global.

I’ll have to try this again, I think I tried a few numbers like 58 and 47, because I try to set at max I see when flying with my graphic settings. (most at Ultra top 4 or 5 esp. TAA on Vsync off @1080p but often in a resized window and sometimes adjust to suit the scenery). But it did lower my FPS when flying.( maybe it’s driver version dependant but I haven’t really noticed any difference there)

Also GPU still seems to be running hotter and harder in menus than when flying. That is the aspect I really don’t get.
I can use the inflight pause and change views etc. and it seems to use less GPU resources than when I use Esc pause.

Either would work the same, but you only want to do it for MSFS, so make it an application specific change, rather than a global one.