Stunning scenery, not a large country to cover, beautiful to fly around, looks good but desperately needs the world update !
Our government has various datasets available across the country including aerial imagery and DEM data. It looks like the data is available for commercial projects, not sure if it could be of any use, but here’s a link in case the powers that be see this and could find it useful.
When the time does come I really hope we get photogrammetry + models in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington CBDs. If Microsoft is feeling extra flash, I would love to see a larger area of Christchurch, Lytletton, and Sumner captured in photogrammetry, the city has been through a lot in the last 10 years, and it would be incredible to be able to see it memorialised in the simulator.
There’s no better place to fly round on the Spitfire now we have a real aircraft to fly.
yeah mate…the port is lacking lol…check this out, from our own,well leased lol satellite…better than google maps!! just scan in…ASOBO…have a look at whats available for
NZ! Basemaps | Land Information New Zealand (LINZ)
+1 from me!
The bing aerial textures are missing in areas around Tauranga and Whangarei, and updated DEM data for the mountains would make a huge difference.
NZ is fairly unique with its topography, with mountains, glaciers, volcanos, beaches, rainforest, desert and urban sprawl all within a relatively small area giving simmers lots of variety!
Just seen Orbx have announced a 10m NZ Mesh addon!
New Zealand has some stunning scenery and in areas like Milford sound really deserve and need an update.
Try New Zealand mesh from Orbx. NZ Mesh - Microsoft Flight Simulator - Orbx (orbxdirect.com) It makes NZ look as if you are really flying there.
The plan is to eventually do the entire planet in the next few years. New Zealand would be wonderful… I hope they do the Hawaiian islands.
Yup I’ve bought the mesh and love it!
I wish they would release more
It will most likely be featured in a future world update. Probably not this year but next year maybe since they will release 6 different world updates. I also hope they bring updated or better satellite date or improvements from azure to the entire planet at the same time.
oh I guess ill hold back with my trip to New Zeeland in flight Sim till it gets an update.Was planning a trip there from where I live ,but would be a 32 hours flight
Yep also makes some of the little bush strips a little more interesting now the real life terrain obstructions are modelled.
It is interesting that many people look at the NZ mesh and claim there see no difference. For me the difference is unmistakable.
Yes, I noticed a difference straight away at where I live in Napier NZ.
I haven’t had much time to explore due to IRL issues, and third-party dev tasks, but the small amount of flying I’ve done has been fantastic.
Yes, signficant difference with Orbx NZ Mesh. Still resolution could be better. It annoys me flying over Mount Eden in Auckland and I still can’t see the crater! lol. Maybe when they can do 1m resolution we will get it. 10m mesh still a good improvement over stock.
New Zealand has some very unique airports, aerodromes and runways. It also has some epic abs variable team leading to some great flying experiences. New Zealand needs to have a world update that takes in to account the main land, Stewart Island, Chatham Island, the Subantarctic Islands and the Kermadec Islands.
Just mulling over the idea of an potential Oceania world update in the future and thought I’d make a list of POI suggestions for NZ should the Asobo devs ever happen to come across this thread:
- Cape Reinga lighthouse and watermask showing meeting of Tasman Sea & Pacific Ocean
- Bay of Islands (watermask and Hole in the Rock formation)
- 90 mile beach (make it landable)
- Marsden Point refinery
- Whangarei Harbor watermask
- Auckland Harbor Bridge
- Skytower, ANZ Tower, PWC Tower skyscrapers (Auckland CBD)
- Mount Eden and One Tree Hill volcanos
- Port of Auckland with Mechanics Bay heliport
- Eden Park rugby stadium
- Westhaven Marina and other marinas around Auckland area
- Updated missing/cloudy ground textures for Great Barrier and Waiheke Islands
- Tauranga harbor water mask
- Port of Tauranga and update missing ground textures around Mt Maunganui and Whakatane
- Mt Maunganui high rises
- SpaceX rocket launch complex, Mahia
- Mt Ruapehu Chateau
- WELLYWOOD sign, Miramar
- Wellington CBD (Beehive, Caketin stadium, Te Papa)
- Wellington Port & Interislander ferry terminal
- Marlborough Sounds water masking
- Whales around Kaikoura peninsula
- Christchurch CBD post earthquake
- New Brighton pier, Christchurch
- Akarora lighthouse
- Otira viaduct
- Church of the Good Shepard & Mt John Observertory, Tekapo
- Hermitage Hotel, Mt Cook
- Lanarch Castle, Dunedin
- Forsyth Barr stadium, Dunedin
- Dunedin railway station
- Catlin coast rock formations
- Milford Sound & Doubtful Sound updated DEM
- Bungee bridge Queenstown
- Queenstown cable car
- TSS Earnslaw steamship on Lake Wakatipu
- Tiwai Point Aluminum Smelter
- Bluff lighthouse
Potential interesting airports to focus on:
- NZGB Great Barrier
- NZAP Taupo
- NZGS Gisborne (with railway track crossing runway)
- NZSO Marlborough Sounds (float plane base)
- NZKI Kaikoura
- NZMC Mount Cook
I am in favor of it too, even though I think that New Zealand is one of the best of the areas covered by the community, along with GB and Gernany.
The satellite map linked above is terrific.
But a question for the New Zealanders. Very often I see something like that from the air.
Does everyone have their own racetrack in front of the door?
These are horse trotting tracks. Harness racing in NZ is a big sport: https://www.hrnz.co.nz/