Making Tobii eye tracker work with SU9

Thanks for the help. I wanted to know if there’s a way to map F12 to Reset Head Position without using the Default Keyboard Profile for Store Version or MSFS.

Turns out there isn’t, so going to give facetracknoir a go and see how that works.

When you setup a key for Center inside of FaceTrackNoIR avoid using F12 as currently there is no way to unbind F12 within MSFS.

1 Like

I’m surprised people are still using FaceTrackNoIR for this when it is supported natively in the sim. The plug in support for Tobii in FaceTrackNoIR isn’t anywhere near as good as native imho.

Having tested this out a bit, I still prefer Facetracknoir over MSFS implementation. The lack of individual curves, (Pitch / Yaw / Roll / X / Y / Z) is an issue for me as I’m used to OpenTrack with custom curves.

Also the strange behavior with F12 is off putting. One question I have for anyone who uses this with Facetracknoir:

• With OpenTrack and TrackIR, when looking left 160 degrees and moving forwards (away from my computer) I would actually move forward in the sim. There was a setting I could enable for this. Do you know if I can do something similar using Facetracknoir? Currently when using Facetracknoir and looking left 160 degrees and moving forward, I move backwards in the sim (closer to the flight instruments)

There is a setting called Enable Reverse Axis but I’m not sure what that does or how to tweak it to get the required behavior. Any help will be appreciated!

I’ve never used OpenTrack before so I’m not sure if Tobii works with OpenTrack also I’m not sure if there is a Tobii Plugin for OpenTrack to make it work.

This is what my main FaceTrackNoIR page looks like:

Try ticking Z under Invert, that should make it so that when you move forwards (away from your computer) you would actually move forward in the sim. I don’t know why you would want that as it means if you wanted to get a closer look at your instruments you would need to lean your head back which seems counter intuitive. You can move closer to the instruments without zooming in by using Alt + Up and move away from them by using Alt + Down, press f to reset.

Unfortunately Reverse Axis isn’t documented in the Keyboard shortcuts manual. I tried playing around with the settings and couldn’t seem to work out what it does either. Reverse Axis is discussed here: X axis behavior when yaw, perhaps you could ask in that thread.

I’m using GazePoint in the Tobii5 Tracker Settings:

If your wondering how to tweak the sensitivities the manual page for Curves explains how to do it.

After downloading facetracknoir_v200.exe be sure to download both the tobii plugin and the plugin pack as well. If you are using Tobii Eye Tracker 5 then download SetupFaceTrackNoIR_v203_Tobii5.exe from here. If you are using Tobii 4C then download SetupFaceTrackNoIR_v203_Tobii4C.exe from here. For both Tobii Eye Tracker 5 and Tobii 4C download the plugin pack SetupFaceTrackNoIR_v204a_PluginPack.exe from here.

Be sure to install in this order:

1. facetracknoir_v200.exe
  2. SetupFaceTrackNoIR_v203_Tobii5.exe OR SetupFaceTrackNoIR_v203_Tobii4C.exe
  3. SetupFaceTrackNoIR_v204a_PluginPack.exe

After installing the latest PluginPack, the version will have been upgraded too.

I can think of at least 6 reasons to use FaceTrackNoIR V200 over the native implementation for now:

1. Custom Center/Reset view key
  2. It doesn’t lose its settings
  3. It works with Tobii 4C & Tobii Eye Tracker 5
  4. Able to pause head tracking without the view resetting to looking forward
  5. Create null/dead zones on any axis
  6. Lock an axis at a certain angle e.g. yaw stopping at 90 degrees

I’ve been using it for almost 3 months and its smooth for me with no lag or jitter.

1 Like

I have used the new setup a few times now and still getting used to it.

One thing I have noticed is that I often find my view not centered but a little to the right. So much so I will move a little left to compensate.

I miss a setting to tweak this.

Other than that, it’s now easier to land the spitfire :blush:

1 Like

It may not help but I hit F12 once to reset the view, then I make sure I’m in my most natural position and hit F12 a second time and that seems to ‘refine’ the position for me so it’s bang on.
Also maybe go through the Tobii setup again and ensure the sensors on the Tobii are aligned with the onscreen markers.

Unfortunately there is no Tobii plugin for OpenTrack.

You could use the left arrow key(don’t use the numeric keypad) on the keyboard to center it but unfortunately you would need to use it for each flight.

I tried that as well, both re-calibrated Tobii and pressed F12 a number of times.

I will try this - its better than nothing for sure :slight_smile:

Hi, Just got Eye Tracker 5 today and using latest Tobii drivers. But unsure what I should be getting in the Control Options under TOBII, I’ve got default and nothing assigned and no image of Eye tracker on right, just Hotas image and question mark.
If I click on sensitivity, I see options to change those. If in cockpit it is tracking, although can’t seem to zoom in or out, thought that was included in SU8
So guess my questions are: Should I have preset options, are any needed?
Should I be able to zoom in/out?

Thanks

I posted some tips how to set it up here; Tobii eye/head tracker in SU8 - Self-Service / Peripherals - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

If with ‘zoom’ you mean moving your head forward/backwards etc, this is how you set this up. For actual zoom you can still use mouse wheel or some other bindings.

Sorry, yes moving head forward to look closer at gauges! This is what I can seem to do.

Edit, sorry I got it - missed the line on position setting, increase from zero.

Thanks

Having played around with Tobii using Facetracknoir and the native implementation, I have to admit that I was wrong in my earlier post.

After completing a couple of flights using both, I can see that the native implementation for me, is much smoother than using another software.

However, we still really need the ability to hit F12 and reset Head Position using Custom Keyboard Profiles. I really hope that Asobo can hotfix this issue asap.

In the meantime, if any technically gifted person on the forum can figure out if there’s a way to do this ourselves, I’m all ears :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For those people that would really like to use the Reset Head Position with the F12 key using a Custom Profile on their keyboard, there is a manual workaround.

In Keyboard Profiles, choose Default, then hit M to open the Preset Manager, then press Duplicate. Name this new Default profile whatever you like. I have named it D2.

Now you have to manually change the keybinds on this new profile (D2) to what you had set in your original custom profile.

Once done, apply and save. F12 should now work to reset Head Position using this new Custom Profile (D2).

This process can be some work depending on how many key binds you have on the keyboard, but definitely worth it for me.

2 Likes

Yes, any new profile from SU8 will retain the F12 action. It seems keyboard profiles created before SU8 do not retain it. I haven’t tried duplicating a pre SU8 profile to see if that reinstates it or if you need to create a new profile from the default - will test this weekend.

That is sooooo odd! But thanks for the update!

I did quickly try duplicating an older profile but it didn’t work so would need to create a new profile and update that with your custom key binds if you want them and the default F12 behaviour to remain.

1 Like

Hi,

The “F12” mapping remains when you duplicate the Default keyboard profile and you can find the corresponding action in the MSFS XML Files.

kbd_f12_profile

You will have to search in one of the subfolders generated here:

C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\SystemAppData\wgs…

The ActionName is “KEY_EYE_TRACKING_RESET”. It is by default set to be used in the “ALWAYS” context, then it can be triggered in every camera context.

The bound key is, as we already know, <KEY Information=“F12”>123</KEY>, but it may be possible to change it or to add another binding.

It could then be possible to copy this “KEY_EYE_TRACKING_RESET” action to another XML device profile and have it bound to any joystick button, using <KEY Information=“Joystick Bouton 1”>0</KEY> for example.

Another possibility, if you want to keep an old very precious keyboard profile, you can try to cut and past the action in its XML file.

In any case, make a full backup of your “wgs” folder and edit the XML files with MSFS not started.

It could tricky to find the right XML profile in the folders. Sorting them by “last modified or created” in Windows Explorer may help you.

3 Likes