Marketplace purchase failed, but my money and Steam wallet credit have been used

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

No

Have you disabled/removed all your mods and addons?

No

Brief description of the issue:

Purchased an airport in Marketplace. Paid with Paypal. Wallet credits bought, but error notice in notifications when returning to MSFS saying transaction had failed, but my money is gone and I don’t have my airport. Steam took my money, bought the credits and sent them somewhere, now the credits are gone and I do not have the airport I tried to buy (LLH Simulations Grenoble)

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Build Version # when you first started experiencing this issue:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

2 Likes

Contact Zendesk for assistance. Please note that all staff is on a holiday break and may not get a response until 1st week of January.

2 Likes

Just wondering if many people have been encountering the failed purchases when trying to buy things through MSFS Marketplace. I used to buy things with no issue. I have the Steam version, so when I buy something through Marketplace it opens up a Steam window where I have to add funds to my Steam Wallet, which in turn opens up a Paypal window, I complete the purchase, it goes back to the Steam window where I authorize the purchase, then it takes me back to the MSFS Marketplace where the airport or aircraft starts downloading. I completed this process smoothly probably the first 6 -10 times I purchased something. Now, yesterday, I had two failed purchases but my money was taken from Paypal to pay for the Steam wallet credits, and then MSFS took the wallet credits, but when I went back to the MSFS Marketplace it was as though I had never bought anything. I didn’t own the airports I had bought and I had a notification that the purchase had failed. Fair enough that a purchase fails every now and then in an online transaction, but the money or Steam credits should be immediately refunded if a failure occurs, like every other online transaction. If you buy something from an online store with your credit card and the transaction fails, your card is just not charged. I don’t understand how this has become so buggy. Now I did have this resolved through Zendesk, and they manually added the airports I had bought, but the sytem is broken. The support reply included instructions on what I should do from now on to purchase anything, which included adding funds to my Steam Wallet 24 HOURS prior to making a purchase on the Marketplace. Sorry, but this is totally impractical and inconvenient. I just donn’t get how this used to work smoothly and now it just doesn’t.

5 Likes

I have experienced same issues, many times.
Resolving is hard and time consuming, create a ticket to Zendesk, wait, forward MS reply to Steam support, wait.

Once I contacted my credit card company for a refund, then I was banned by Steam!!! They thought I was trying to cheat somehow!

I wish this would be fixed, otherwise using Marketplace with Steam is not an option and should be avoided.

6 Likes

Wow, Steam really banned you? Did they reverse that? I did consider for a short time to go through Paypal, as Steam will not refund wallet credit which has been used, and it technically had been used (although I got nothing for it) but I was afraid of just that, Steam closing my account and losing all my games. My issue was solved by Zendesk in about 12 hours or less, as I posted pics of receipts, the error message etc, but it really blows that it’s so buggy now. I’m not sure what has happened to make it so buggy now, it used to be fine. Looks like I’m not purchasing from the Marketplace anymore🤷‍♂️ .

1 Like

Everytime i buy i get a failed purchase i do this

Buy and download go through all steps until it should download it will usually say failed and not start i then wait a minute or two then click buy and download again then cancel the purchase
i then usualy goto content manager after another min or two it usually starts downloading

2 Likes

Thanks for the post :slightly_smiling_face:

I thought that Microsoft had now finally resolved all the issues with failed purchases which were quite a frequent occurence some months ago. Obviously not :cry:

I was, tbh, tempted with some of the sales prices there at the moment but will give the MP a miss until they eventually (?) get it sorted. From what you say purchasing from 3rd party sites would still seem the best hassle free way to go.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Conflicting bindings on Xbox Elite Series 2 controller

Yes, same issue

For me I actually am in developer mode, not sure if that makes a difference. Also, I used a credit card that is already in my Steam wallet. The Steam purchase completed without issue, then the marketplace stated the purchase failed.

1 Like

I logged a ticket through Zendesk and got very prompt assistance. The main purchasing issue still remains, but I think the one poster who suggested moving the Steam overlay window to the side while purchasing and watching to ensure the MSFS window still says “purchase in progress”, was spot on. If it switches to failed before you complete it, cancel the process and try again.

Meanwhile support added the product I indeed paid for.

1 Like

Hi, Yesterday I bought an airfield in the Marketplace. Use my Steam account for this. It’s not the first time the steam credit is topped up and then the product is paid for. After that I can download it in the MSF Unfortunately it didn’t work yesterday. I topped up Steam credit and paid with Paypal. But I couldn’t download anything in the Marketplace. Steam doesn’t want a refund because I’ve already redeemed the credit. But there is nothing to be found in the mfs Marketplace. Where is my credit now? And where can I access it? Thanks in advance for suggestions

1 Like

yes

I have the Steam invoice number and the Paypal "Paid " screen shot

1 Like

Have similar issue. Purchased an add on and get ‘another purchase pending’. My credit card charged but no download in content manager. Really is terrible. I think at this rate, MSFS and Asobo should be facing group legal action in the not so distant future.

2 Likes

A little extreme, but I understand the frustration. Log a ticket and they will straighten it out. They did for me.

1 Like

The point @Tom87791 is making here is that this is an ongoing issue that MS & Co have known about for quite a while, yet have, (apparently), made no attempts to fix - instead relying on the end-user to beg for redress.  (IMHO), this would easily satisfy the negligence prong of a class-action suit since instead of handling the transaction atomically as is required by banking regulations - that is, nothing happens until the transaction is completely complete - the charge is made immediately regardless of outcome.

At least in the U.S. allowing something like that to continue, (at least as I know it), violates banking, e-commerce, and customer protection legislation.  Though I am not a lawyer, I HAVE worked in the software e-commerce and bank transaction field and “atomic” transactions are a requirement.  Violating that requirement - except for occasional and brief technical glitches - is subject to huge fines and possible exclusion from the e-commerce/ACH systems - along with potential legal action.

The fact that MS/Steam have not fixed this for an extended period of time is clear negligence.

P.S.  Asobo has nothing to do with this, this is a MS/Steam marketplace issue.

7 Likes

I have the same issue.
I’m on Xbox series X and I can’t even finish the process to complete the dev mode. It gave me a code then asked me to sign in. When I enter my Xbox account it wouldn’t take it. It’s so frustrating

2 Likes

I did no begging whatsoever, I simply logged a ticket and the issue was resolved the same day. Again, a bit extreme in an effort to amplify a point as the issue in my opinion doesn’t rise to the level of litigation. We as a society love to wave the altruistic flag, cry foul, and then look for the nearest entity to sue. I personally like to find other alternatives if possible.

Also, you say they have “made no attempts to fix”. Are you on the development team, or are you inferring merely from the fact that it isn’t fixed that they have indeed made no attempts? Again, inflammatory without basis, but dramatic no doubt about it.

Should it be fixed? Absolutely, but there are workarounds once you are aware of them and if something goes wrong support was quick to resolve it. So, perhaps we can take a half a step back from the chest pounding.

2 Likes

Now, Steam bkacklisted my PyPal account because they did not agree to refund my failed purchase, and then I asked refund from PayPal.

There are many items that can be purchased on marketplace only, so I’m locked out!

When is this resolved, please?

1 Like

This is such a frustrating issue that Microsoft is pretending doesn’t exist. I say this because it has now happened to me 3 times, and last time they insisted it was a PayPal problem (because they assume I can’t read or understand instructions.) To prove it, I made a purchase today with a credit card. Same problem. This appears in every way to be a Microsoft problem, not a Steam or PayPal or user problem. Microsoft for whatever reason that I am pretty certain is on their end (as I have never in exactly 14 years and 11 months had a problem like this with Steam) doesn’t always get the confirmation that should unlock the addon.

Also, because they seemingly have no US support (I was wrong about this, I think. Just got a reply from Microsoft support at 5:30PM)

If it wasn’t a Carenado addon, I would have purchased it elsewhere. Imagine how much more money the Marketplace would pull in if it was consistently reliable.

2 Likes

try hitting buy again then cancelling the transaction when the steam overlay comes up then goto content manager and wait

1 Like