Massive FPS drop because of SU9

Yep me too. Gonna go racing until they fix it.

use to be running 9900k, 2080ti and 32g on a single 1080p display in “Utra” with TrackIR at 35-40 FPS.

now im at 10-15 FPS.

Same here. I duplicate my post on the other thread:

TIME PLAYED: 00 Min FPS: 45 fps
TIME PLAYED: 30 Min FPS: 40 fps
TIME PLAYED: 60 Min FPS: 30 fps
TIME PLAYED: 90 Min FPS: 12 fps
TIME PLAYED: 120 Min FPS: 8 fps
TIME PLAYED: 150 Min FPS: 2 fps

MainThread limited.

Unplayable. No matter what I change, what I do, what I set, disconnect or delete. No matter what scenery or aircraft.

Bandwith or bad connection error popping up every second, but connection works perfectly.

Ryzen 7 (58ºC 60% use)
MSI RTX 3070 8 GB (47ºC 40% use)
Ryzen 7 (58ºC 60% use)
32 GB RAM
NVme SSD Samsung 980 PRO

3 Likes

Currently wrapping up the end of a flight from YBCS - YMML in the A330-NEO, been in sim for about 2hrs 50mins and there is extremely noticeable stutters and performance degradation.

The game is using: 37.8% of my CPU, 3,671.8MB of RAM, 0.1 MB/s of the disk, 0Mbps of Network and 43.5% of the GPU.

i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz
32.0GB
GTX 1080
2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe

I’ve neem having these issues since SU7, I just wish we had a fix…

Don’t use Task Manager at all for this; use the built-in FPS window in Developer mode.

I set off last night in the Headwind A330-900 on a KSEA → EHAM flight and left it on its own on AP after reaching cruising altitude. Checked back in on it 7 hours later and found the sim massively stuttering. The sound was garbled. UI barely responded to mouse input. GPU was pegged at nearly 100%

Intel(R) Core™ i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
64.0 GB DDR4
Intel(R) Core™ i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060, 64.0 GB DDR4

It seems like there are several issues in connection with FPS drops. Please post in the corresponding thread in order to avoid confusion.

1.) The one OP is referring to. Around 30% less frames compared to SU8. I myself have the same issue. Instead of 40, I am now at 28-30 with lots of stutters. (This thread)

2.) FPS loss after longer flights (this was a problem before SU9 already)

3.) Stuttering/low FPS on the ground due to constant Logbook access (also before SU9 I think)

2 Likes

It’s rather reminiscent of FSX and P3D, stuttering in major area as Las Vegas, but then improving as I leave there. Flew in Malawi and obviously it was smooth as butter.

a note: for these we have different topics, as example:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/after-playing-a-few-hours-fps-drops-from-40-to-5fps/
Important is to mention your installed mods, the region which you fly over, etc. See mentioned topic.

The OP in contrast reported a direct / overall decrease in fps. No time dependency etc…

EDIT : @Tweak112 ah, seen now you summary… yes… I refer to your mentioned point 2)

1 Like

As I said

I duplicated my post on the other thread

I mentioned

No matter what I change, what I do, what I set, disconnect or delete. No matter what scenery or aircraft.
Bandwith or bad connection error popping up every second, but connection works perfectly

That means that I tried everything. I deleted all installed mods, made changes to my PC settings, changes in the game itself. I tried absolutely everything.

No matter what scenery or aircraft.

Thant means any region and any aircraft.

Listing every mod I had that I no longer have (and still experiencing the same issue) does not change anything.

Today, from French/Spanish border to Monaco, was as smooth as silk, with only a brief connection outage. Had mods running.

Most of the times the game does not recover from the FPS dropping, however, a couple of days ago, I was flying from Rome Fiumicino to Madrid Barajas, and when I was flying over the Spanish coast the game began to stutter making the plane impossible to control, like 5 fps. And then, arriving in Madrid it spontaneously recovered without touching anything and flying at the same altitude. This has only happened once. The rest of the times I have to quit the game.

2 Likes

I had everything running fine before this last sim update. Now any time I try to move the camera in exterior view or take off I get maybe 1 FPS. I’ve even cut down a ton of my settings. But despite the abysmal FPS, somehow I was able to get my plane airborne. Things were fine until I descended. I had hoped it was a fluke but it seems not to be.My computer is no slouch. I’ve got a 12700K and RTX 3080. I’ve never had this bad of performance. I tried the NDU fix from another thread plus clean install of the newest driver with no changes.

4 Likes

I can confirm i have lost around 8-10 frames after the latest update and now i experience a few stutters!
Before the Update i had a Very Smooth performance and No stutters !
Same exact Settings .
Despite the fact that i bought a New processor i9-11900k !
Waiting for my new Rtx 3080ti and hopefully things will get better !

2 Likes

I have 1 fps on the ground, too. What about loading time? It is very very long compared to before su9, on my side…

1 Like

Yes, I’ve also realized of that. Now it takes more time for the game to load the flight and the loading bar moves more slowly.

1 Like

That sounds to me like it’s a hard disk interruption from the virtual memory (Windows swapfile / Page File) whenever you change the camera view. And/or your swapfile is not a fixed sized, and as it is being made bigger (or smaller) it causes a momentary bottleneck of data to the CPU.

Questions: Have you looked at your disk access graphs in Windows Task Manager during the periods of stutter?

Is the Windows swapfile on an HDD or SSD? (it needs to be on the fast system SSD for FS2020 !)

NB. If there is a spike of disk activity right during the stutter, did you know that you can drill-down to see what process is hogging the disk, by clicking on: “Open Resource Monitor” (which is in the “Performance” tab of the Task Manager?
Can you try that, and if so what do you see?

Yes, my loading time has increased as well.

It’s running on an M.2 SSD. I haven’t noticed anything irregular in task manager, and prior to clean installing the newest Nvidia driver I had my GeForce overlay running , which showed the GPU utilization up to 75% and CPU between 40-50%.

You need to probe deeper than that !
If you go into your Windows “Performance Options”, and click the second tab along: “Advanced”, what does it tell you about the “Virtual Memory”?
(ie: Which drive(s) are used for Virtual Memory; How much space is being allocated to them; and whether Windows is “managing” them, or if the sizes are fixed constrained between a min and max value?)

ps. It made a big difference for me following SU9 to have one very large Windows virtual-memory swapfile – 18GB min 32GB max – allocated on the main system SSD. It doesn’t increase average FPS, but it did get rid of stuttering / pausing in FS2020.

I just visited a friend of mine who stated that he doesn’t have those issues with stuttering and FPS degradation. Lo and behold i turned on the FPS counter in his sim and he had the EXACT same issue but he just didn’t realise it.
So i guess everyone has this issue but either can’t see it, have their frames locked at 30FPS or maybe they just don’t want to see it.

His system:

i7 12700k
RTX 3080TI
32GB RAM

1 Like