Massive FPS drop because of SU9

Are you saying that currently with or without the PG cities installed your performance is still good? because that has been a known issue for a while and make sure you have photogrammetry on when testing.

1 Like

Iā€™m saying that in spades: I did tests removing ALL 3D PG cities, All except Germany for one test, tried US cities as the manifesters of this issue, and there is ZERO DIFFERENCE. Performance remains essentially exactly as it was before, all Ultra, RS 120, AF 16x, SS 8x, flawless performance gate to gate exactly as itā€™s been. Vsync to 30 and rock solid. As was previously the cast Terrain LOD is by far the most important contributor to main thread overload, and this is the only variable I change based on departure and more importantly, arrival airport. The range if 100 (rare) to 400 (more rare!) w/ an average T-LOD of 160. O-LOD always at 200. I mention this to prove the PG cities issue does not affect all users, and also that SU9ā€™s impact on performance does not affect all users. As stated the Avsim poll indicates ~15% of PC users experienced some kind of significant issue w/ SU9 including performance, and 85% did not.

1 Like

This is nothing new. If I recall correctly we had the exact same pattern when WU3 and SU5 were released. Many said everything was fine and only a few pointed out the issues (Mostly stuttering, graphic-related stuff and bad FPS. So basically the same story all over again.)
As a result every issue pointed out by the minority of users has been acknowledged and fixed by Asobo back then.
And it is also important to point out that this thread gained 95 votes within 2 days.
I am 100% sure that everyone is affected by the same bugs in that case as well, but many of them just do not realize or are too minor to for them to ignore it.

I am positive that we will get a statement by Asobo soon with a possible HF on the horizon.

6 Likes

Thanks ā€¦ :nerd_face:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

GPU usage is 55% at KLGA on the ground. and main thread is in yellow 27ms. I always test in PMDG dc6 KLGA runway 4 storm weather and 12am

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

That is true, the issue does not happen to every user. I asked him specifically because it seemed like the workaround helped but then it suddenly was not needed.

unacceptableā€¦
here before i had 60-70 fps

and always the loading icon its running on bottom rightā€¦

1 Like

The loading icon thankfully disappeared w/ SU8 and thankfully again remained gone w/ SU9. I had zendesked it at least 3x and was stoked it was apparently addressed in SU8.

OMG!
If i turn ON dev mode the FRAME RATE come back!!!
and the loading icon disappear

2 Likes

@BidImpala169680 I believe thatā€™s an issue they are currently investigating.

Iā€™ve done many flights now post SU9 and there is no increase in traffic in my experience, performance is excellent as it was in SU8.

3 Likes

Totally agree.

I tried this just because, and there was no difference whatsoever. Installed or un-installed the performance was the same.

1 Like

@JetWash1023 Just to make sureā€¦ did you restart the sim after deleting the 3d PG cities? Only then you may see a change.

No we did not, although I also suspect clouds adding to the Main Threadā€™s burden.

No problems for me.
At London Heathrow (EGLL) I had the airport full of AIG Traffic and also the simā€™s own realtime / live traffic.
I can pan the view around, both inside the FBW A320NX cockpit and outside, and itā€™s as smooth as itā€™s ever been.

My system is a Dell 8940 i7, with 16GB RAM and an RTX2060 GPU. Screen resolution is 1440p.

2 Likes

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OPā€™s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Your skepticism is misplaced.

This was by far the most common issue for users during the beta, and looking at the votes in this thread, it is also a very common issue upon release.

It is fair to say most users either didnā€™t see much, if any performance increase with SU9, and a significant percentage saw a performance dip.

So, consider yourself lucky if you saw no loss of performance, but please, there is no need for skepticism. This issue has been well vetted by users for a good month before it released to the public. It is real. Some very fast systems are getting hammeredā€¦ even more hammered than they were before.

6 Likes

So I actually experienced a very significant improvement in FPS with SU9. Who knows why but Iā€™m not complaining at all.

1 Like

Iā€™m confused. Did you mean to reply to me?

I was referring to the removal of PG cities making a difference to performance in the post youā€™ve replied to. You know I was in the betaā€¦we had many discussions about this. I was the person who logged that performance optimisations hadnā€™t worked.

Truth is though, that after after dropping Clouds to High and after the second beta build was released my performance has been as good as SU8.

@f14billy To be fair Iā€™m honestly not sure if I did. Iā€™ve not really had major issues anyway in this regard, itā€™s only really London & inibuilds Heathrow that I find struggles. If I ever try it again Iā€™ll be sure to restart šŸ«”

1 Like

@JetWash1023 haha if you are having good performance then itā€™s all good.

I had ok performance but with each update I noticed that i had to reduce the Terrain LOD to be able to keep the same performance as the previous version. With this workaround i can have terrain LOD 300 with GA aircraft and 200 with airliners with great performance on the ground. This only works for some people and only if you are main thread limited on the ground with photogrammetry on and you wonā€™t see a change unless you restart.

1 Like