Massive FPS drop because of SU9

One thing I failed to mention. I had uninstalled all USA update sceneries and reinstalled them this did not seem to affect any thing. However, I noticed that The Deluxe and Premium package had large updates available. I’m now thinking something got reset or was missing after I restarted MSFS after those package updates. The deluxe/premium package updates may have triggered MSFS to look for something. After this a weird window popped up and told me to choose a profile. The options were (older) Profile on this device. Then there was another option to choose (newer) Profile from the cloud. So I chose Profile on this device and then it said looking for updates and then downloaded 197MB. I Installed those 7 PG sceneries then went to Asobo KATL and the frames were 46-60 smooth. Thinking it might be a fluke I exited MSFS and then went back in…and it was still smooth as butter. All I know is I am locked at 60 FPS on the ground at less busy airports and holding 45-60FPS and panning with zero stutters all over the world including KATL, KDFW, LPPT, EGLL, RJTT, YSSY. All my settings are on high/ultra RC 100 TLOD 300 2560X1080 and the photogrammetry looks great on my i7 9700kf, 2070 super and 32GB ram. Another thing I did was update my various sceneries. UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE… that might be the key to this. The official forums don’t say anything about an update from Asobo, so I retraced my steps and this is what I remember doing just before everything went back to normal.

You bring up a good point. I was in the SU9 beta and when I installed it, in addition to the approximately 1 GB update in the Microsoft Store, there was an additional 2-3 GB of content that downloaded after the “checking for updates” prompt on first run of the sim. In addition, there were several hundred MB of optional files in the content manager once the sim was fully loaded.

I am wondering if (for those having multiple CTDs, freezing menus etc) if something went wrong with the update process for some users who were not in the beta.

If you downloaded the initial update from the MS Store, there should have been several GB of additional files that downloaded after the “checking for updates” prompt. If that did not happen, it might mean that the sim is running the new SU9 1.25.7 main executable, with SU8 content that should have (but did not) update to SU9.

Just a theory, but it might explain why the sim is so unstable for some users. This wouid only apply to those who were not in the beta.

1 Like

So I tested further and I found something odd.
When flying over the grand canyon my FPS are at roughly 45, without stutters and buttery smooth.
However as soon as I fly over another area with a lot of vegetation (?) I get a drop of approx. 10FPS and a lot of stuttering.
I have never had this kind of FPS drops before SU9 and I fly a lot in this area.
I also turned down LOD as well as Trees to the lowest settings to see if it makes any difference, but the frames did not recover.
So there could be something fundamentally wrong with vegetation since SU9. If I recall correctly there were some changes to it.

1 Like

I have RTX 2060 i7 10700F 32GB screen res:1440, so very similar to your pc. I found stuttering in SU8, and was considering upgrading my GPU to 3070, as 2060 seems to be a dying breed. But then I used the following blog Best Graphics Settings Guide - Flight Simulator Blog
And stopped looking at fps counter and started flying. I have AIG to use live traffic and in Heathrow although get very slight stutter it’s definitely flyable. I’m hoping for DLSS release on SU10 in July to see whether I can carry on with my 2060…

1 Like

Taxi / TakeOff / Crusie seems fine for me (could always be better for sure) The problem i have on preformance is after landing / Taxing. Preformance drops loads getting to a gate in flat screen and VR in the Reverb G2

i711700k
RTX 3080
32GB ram
4TB SSD
Steam version

You can’t just throw in 3070 or whatever GPU. If you did that you would need to change everything else. Like the main power supply, the cooling systems etc.
NB. In my Dell I DID put a bigger CPU cooler on my stock i7 CPU and also a heatsink on the voltage regulators – and I immediately got a double-digit reduction in CPU temps, so less throttling, and thus better frame-rates in games that had been CPU temperature-limited – like FS2020. ie. Nothing to do with the GPU that so many people are obsessing about.

As the game is heavaly CPU lmited I’d rather buy a better CPU. I moved from a 10700k to a 12700k. This gave me 10 more fps and much less stutters.

3 Likes

But my FPS seems to be GPU limited and working at times high nineties percentages!

Hello,

Guys, This fps issue related to photogrammetry items.

If you have orbx lirq scenery, go there, you will see massive fps frop on ground because that airport has photogrammetry ground polygons. If there are no pg items on scene you will be good, but if you have pg items on scene your fps being hammered. So when you off photogrammetry at data settings you will be okey at all scenes.

Asobo should fix this pg problem.

Having the GPU run at 90% or higher is OK. Stutters typcially come from the CPU that can’t feed the GPU. Do you never see that the sim is limited by the main thread If you display the FPS in Dev Mode?

1 Like

Very rarely do I see mainthread limited. It’s mainly GPU limited. I would say 90% of the time.

getting random drops from 50-60 fps to 30 after a random amount of time flying after SU 9. Took off from block island and flew over toward the coast of massachussets, thats when fps dropped from 50-60 to 30 and was stuttering too. Same happened when I flew from southend on sea , through london then near brighton it happened again randomly in an area that wasn’t dense with graphics. infact I reloaded in the game and spawned in that area, no issues fps was back high. Never had any issues with performance for a very long time with the sim and my performance benchmarks and other games are all performing like usual.
3090 rog strix oc, 64gb 3600mhz ram, 10900k. System specs.

2 Likes

Asobo changed the way the trees rendered on SU9.

What are your TLOD and Tree detail settings?

If you set Tree detail to ultra it will be rendered as far as TLOD and may affect the performance.

Not at all, go back and find threads on WU3 same thing. Some affected, others not. Same as Xbox, some are flying, some it’s a CTD fest. Happy to hear your experience, but your experience isn’t everyone elses

2 Likes

Like I said, changing settings have no effect. I can set it to the lowest option and I have the exact same frame drops.

Good find! Once the sim started dropping to 30 FPS I reloaded the flight at the same location and it went back to smooth 45FPS!

I’m sorry to see so many are having issues. I’m one of the few that have the same performance with SU9. One thing I would like to add for you all to check, if you believe to have a Mainthread issue, please make sure you’re looking in Task Manager at ALL your cores, not just the overall view.

This link gives you the steps to enable it in Task Manager. When in MSFS, you should see one core at 100% if you have a Mainthread bottleneck:

Show All Cores in Task Manager: How to Activate All CPU Cores (Windows 10) (addictivetips.com)

Thank you!!! Well met, mine is a stutterfest. I’ve been there before. WU3 crushed me for 2 weeks until the hotfix released. I feel more for the XBOX crowd at this point. They have a lot worse happening.

4 Likes

My system performance between SU8 & SU9 has been relatively the same, but what HAS changed is CTD’s…

I’d say 70% of my flights in SU9 have ended with a CTD either in: loading MSFS, while in the main menu, loading a flight, or while flying. It’s completely random & location doesn’t seem to matter. USA, Europe, it’s all the same.

FWIW, All community folder add-ons have been updated to their respective latest versions, and the same goes for any in-game purchased items.

1 Like

I don’t have Orbx, but I have just been flying though London City (lots of photogrammetry) and using the FBW A320NX.

As smooth as butter for me!

Settings:
Terrain & Objects LODs are both set to 200;
Render-scaling is 100%;
Terrain pre-caching is on medium;
Most other settings are on Ultra;
Resolution is 1440p;
GPU is the RTX2060.