METAR keeps disrupting the weather/ bugged weather/Cumulus/CB clouds only/no medium to high cloud coverage

Looks alright, but in reality there is a lot more higher cloud that seems to be missing. Same for other areas in UK and Ireland, a lot of high cloud totally missing. Pre-SU7 it used to get this so accurate.

Yeas that’s true. By the way I saw the rain in the distance appearing and disappearing in a second again
there is some nasty glitches all around, and I think the developers are quiet because they just don’t want to say it

Northern ireland bad again, with volcanic explosion, so inconsistent

Live is live based on live weather readings at the airport aka METARS.

I tested multiple flights and this is what I noticed.

Cloud levels are correct.

Cloud coverage on overcast does have some breaks.

The rainbands looked great and are moving with wind as expected.

I did notice a disruption/jump in temperature at FL360 one time during flight.

I think the weather system revamp is going great and in the end will provide all players with the desired content.

On a final note, the type of cloud is really hard to decipher in game. The stratus formations look too puffy like they are all stratocumulus formations. I think if the devs can rework these formations somehow it will really bring a lot more immersion.

Altostratus-Missing
Cirrostratus-Missing
Stratus-Missing
Cirrus-needs a little tlc

EDIT::: Also, comparing to life shots is not a good idea. No sim could render an exact picture. And you have to remember that METARS are not real time. They are updated on intervals just like metroblue. In bad weather and drastically changing weather they are updated more frequently through METARS. But think, even in real life. A rain cell moves over an airport. The METAR reports it at 00:00Z and you will arrive at 00:10Z.

If the rain cell is moving at 25kts to the south. It would be moving about 4/10ths of a nautical mile per minute. By the time you arrive at 00:10 the rain cell could be 4 miles south. If it’s not that wide, it might not even be raining at the airport anymore but you can see it just to the south of the airport.

It’s not like Metroblue is bad but it’s not aviation. If it came down to choosing one or the other it would be best to base all adaption on METARS and aviation weather maps. The best possible outcome is a system that gives METARS priority and falls back on Metroblue when no METARS are nearby.

1 Like

I have to completely disagree with this. I have found temp, pressure, and winds to always be correct with the METAR, and the cloud coverage and height to be wrong. Basically the complete opposite of this.

cat met

cat act

Bang on you see.

Again here I completely disagree, I think the best solution is to have a system based on meteoblue, so we get a living, dynamic, global weather model with no transitions or circles of weather around airports.

Take wind and pressure and temps from METAR as they wont spoil the visuals of the global weather.

And then have the sim produce METAR’s in game based on the currently depicted weather, not real world, so we can use these METAR’s for flight planning.

4 Likes

Im sorry, I just double checked that and it is correct. Carenado Mooney is not correct and reading F on the temp. Checking in the Cessna 152 everything is correct.

Also, all sim planning tools and sites rely on METAR and aviation weather reports and forecasts.

Maybe they can add the legacy Metroblue system as an option or something. You will be happy in the end. From what I’ve seen on this update everything looks great.

Hmm I dunno, using the meteobue model to inject weather over the whole earth is an amazing system totally unprecedented in flight sims, and was just stunning.

The new METAR system has totally ruined it creating ugly cumulus clouds on the ground when they really shouldn’t be there, just looks absolutely awful compared to how it used to look.

I honestly simply do not understand why anyone could possibly think SU7 has improved things.

It has ruined the realistic looking visuals and provided absolutely no accuracy. Please tell me what is the point of it?

7 Likes

Hmm I wonder where the airport is, that’ll be the METAR system clouds then

Have to completely agree with MetalPlains3097. I routinely fly long-haul and the clouds look terrible compared to pre-SU7 with no diversity AT ALL. Especially over big open waters.

The meteoblue system had flaws but it was visually stunning and much more organic in its presentation. The current system doesn’t even hold a candle to it.

11 Likes

Cloud types completely off the mark. Overcast not correct. Always the same.

Screenshot (52)Screenshot (53)

4 Likes

Observed the same in EGCC this morning, the higher overcast blanketing the UK is completely missing - it did an excellent job of this before SU7. As usually it’s the unrealistic horrible cumulus mess with some higher wispy cloud here and there.

3 Likes

We had some glorious - nearly endless stratus cloud layers (the typical winter clouds formations) here in Greece IRL during the week. I thought that this was a great opportunity to test and see if they are correctly depicted in the newest sim update/patch. Oh boy I was extremely disappointed. Cumuliform clouds near the airports, extremely dense and convective, made no sense for a cold January morning. Cloud base altitudes seemed ok at least.

The most infuriating thing is that the sim had the ability to depict stratus layers correctly in the past. At the moment and as it seems, METAR data will never be able to be used in a way that realistic cloud types and skies can be generated. Totally killed the immersion we experienced during previous sim versions. Now I have to test and see how’s the weather depiction in areas not covered by METAR stations.

8 Likes

Same result for me with low level clouds. I think low level clouds is changed into towering clouds over airports.

Another day but same story
Belfast in real life has a beautiful overcast of stratus clouds

but the game is 95% of the time the same ugly representation od dark convective clouds and missing high coverage too

4 Likes

Same story as Manchester and rest of the UK that has this high overcast coverage today, it’s totally missing whereas before SU7 it could depict it so good and accurately.

Today it’s like the meteoblue data is completely missing all together and we just have the mess from metar

2 Likes

If MSFS got to be a simulator, like its name states, weather is one of its fundations. Now, weather forecasting itself is a hard task. Global warming isn’t helping at all. This said, pretending to see in the sim what you see out of the window it’s a bit demanding. But see what is was a while ago, or at least a compatible situation, metereologically speaking, is a must. And if you see it out of your window, you may be confident that it’s the same whereever you are flying. What we have now is the same category of clouds all over the world. Beautiful? Maybe. Accurate? Only here and there. As many posted, convection activity and relative cumulus just can’t happen in large areas and seasons. The engine is broken, or better, based on limited, misinterpreted data. They (MS and Asobo) may have concentrated on the (artistic) aspect of the clouds recently. That’s good. Let’s make a step ahead now. Data is already out there. Let’s follow Meteoblue, it can’t be that bad. And if it is, it will just be a spot, a bad day, but overall we will have cumulonimbus in tropical Africa, fog in Europe plains, and overcast on UK. Clouds (cumuli, strata etc) may will look grainy, too white or too dark. They may work on the artistic part later, but at least we will have the immersion feeling that is missing. And if there are users that prefer the “game” vs “sim”, totally legitimate choice, they may set their preferred weather and see beautiful landscapes, while others will struggle with a foggy landing in icy conditions in Milan like today.
I hope some of the MS Asobo team is reading this. And get the point. Meteoblue forever and, if possible, integration with METAR.
We have just 20something votes, since there are some different theads about weather. I’m not sure if it’s the case to open a new one to collect votes and leave the existing ones for more technical discussion.

6 Likes

One of the many bugs is cloud glitching and chipping away as you get closer to them.
Like here, I entered a weather front, first a portion of its fringe disappeared, eventually when I was in, the clouds kept on destroying themselves near my airbus

2 Likes

ok, I just only think that you didn’t read my previous posts absolutely. I just only post my screenshots to show same situations that users reported as wrong and they are in sim without doubts.

Look, I mean absolutely no harm, but I had a grandmother who tried to convince me for years that plum jam was strawberry jam - and you keep trying to do the same thing over and over again, and as I said, I don’t mean it as an attack - but people explain for the 100th time what they are about and you keep showing a few pictures where the weather theoretically fits, yes, there is some of that in SU7 - but I have been with the Alpha version since day one and I can judge for myself what looks “right” and what does not (I have flown a lot IRL, as a passenger too, and even if you haven’t flown you only have to look out the window, it has nothing to do with it now). Before SU6 (I would rather say so, because even in SU6 I noticed that there were less and less cloud fronts - but it could also be my imagination) - clouds were clouds - also of course with reported inscrepancies - we don’t need to talk about that and there were missing features - no question. But I have now also flown in SU7(beta) for about 40 hours (also medium-haul) and I can also say that there is no real diversity. Yes the weather is partly correct- and it also looks good sporadically (even if you look at my screenshots) - but it is always the same - towering cumulus clouds which partly dissolve into less or more clouds.
May be partly true but as an overall appearance it does not come close to what I have seen myself since the Alpha version to SU5 (now I do not mean the accuracy but the appearance,
Alpha - SU6 almost 1000 hours). If it is the way to get the accuracy first and then the “appearance” then I am also, or we all are (probably) satisfied - but there should be a confirmation from the development side whether this is now the “normal” state or the way to “perfection” (yes it has been noted that it is a 10 year development) but I would like to have confirmed that no stratus formations are possible anymore (as an example) ! where you see these volcanic eruptions now, you saw big and long stratus(like) formations before and you can show me 1000000 screenshots - I know what I see and have seen, it’s as simple as that.

10 Likes