Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announced

Trailer looks great, but so did 2020’s. All speculations until game is in hand.

8 Likes

My primary point is that they took the time to see we’re all pretty “interested” in their announcement yesterday, while failing to include a more detailed explanation.

Also, it just crashed again on me… flying into Vegas… alas, I must once again start from scratch! It also does not log any of my time when it crashes.

More likely they are upping the memory so that it runs both 2020 and 2024 better , as well as other games .

how about simconnect for XBOX?
I know the chance is very low, but still want to ask.

I mean, MS is a trillion dollar multinational. They are not exactly lacking in terms of financial might. The numbers you are most definitely assuming make no sense. As much as I want flight sims to be universally loved. I do not believe 10 million people individually purchased MSFS. There are over ~25 million gamepass subscribers, it is more likely that average users of that service gave it a go/tried the sim out. Maybe they got hooked and continue to play, but MSFS itself has not provided that revenue, the subscription service will have done most of the heavy lifting here.

This is by no means a bad thing however, I am just shocked by people not even entertaining that this service even exists, or how they do not even factor it into the aggregate number of users.

I know of one developer who is in the know but their lips are sealed so I would expect every other developer is too so that they don’t have any compatibility issues with MS FS 2024. Lots of speculation with doom and gloom posts. It will all work out in the end.

The amount of RAM (and VRAM, since the Xbox uses a shared pool of memory for both, iirc) it has is the same. The only things that are different are the colour, and the size of the SSD.

I definitely agree, and the backward compatibility sells it, if that wasnt there and you spent all that extra on DLC, you might think different. In the past this wasnt always the case when a new version came out. I hope they stick to this and dont cone out with some excuse nearer the time, that the tech has changed so much that it isnt possible.

2 Likes

let’s hope they figured out how to rewrite their engine to allow for proper cpu usage.

8 Likes

A scripted tornado mission will still be fun. Anything else, I’ll believe it when I see it. Supercell thunderstorms were advertised with the prerelease promotional material back in 2019 and we never got those. Even the thunderstorms we did get still leave a lot to be desired. I’d watch these interviews from people who are not directly involved in the development with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

If that is true (and not marketing bs) then it’s great news. It means they actually did some work on the core weather engine (and possibly other core mechanics)

This seems to be from 2 hours ago.
I hope the eventual transition to MSFS2024 will be smooth because that is the interest of all involved parts. But is kind of shocking that Asobo were not ready to provide more technical details even to main developers yesterday

10 Likes

PMDG 737NG was first released for FS2002 back in 2003. No biggie there, despite most of us knowing that FS2004: A Century of Flight (FS9) is due to be released later that year. They just updated the product so it can work in FS2004.

FSX version does require you to buy new ones, because it is also quite a rebuilt product - you can totally feel the difference.

They are already more than experienced in this kind of situation.

As upsetting as you probably are, having to revamp your whole Terabytes of Community add-on folder, it is a situation long time simmers have been through and through.

2 Likes

A year or so from now, this thread will be the graveyard of principles.

1 Like

Was there a user meltdown after each new announcement?

1 Like

Me neither. I think the current models are top notch, and I don’t know how they could improve them physically. Scenery fidelity, weather, other aspects of the simulation are where they could improve.

Back then?

Yes. But this one is quite unusually massive, well signs of times anyway. More people are getting access to internet compared to FS2002 days.

Even XP12 also received this kind of treatment despite strong fanboy culture in XP community.

2 Likes

Imagine if/when this bugs out like the lightning did, and we get tornadoes everywhere. :scream:

4 Likes

I have absolutely no interest in a new sim. I don’t want to spend money on it again. And then I should buy all my addons again?! This is very stupid that you bring a new platform. Nobody asked for it. NOBODY!

4 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking about lol. Tornadoes are incredibly difficult to predict. If the “new” weather engine will be implemented, we’ll either see no tornadoes or tornadoes absolutely everywhere.

4 Likes