Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announced

I think this is an inevitability. They are probably loathe to admit it, but for MSFS to really progress the current XBox generations aren’t really going to cut it on the memory front, and to a degree I think they are going to hold development back if that situation doesn’t change.

Well I’m excited about the announcement!

It was already stated that the vast majority of addons will carry over

6 Likes

Will I be able to upgrade MSFS to MSFS2024 or will a fresh install be required?

Without this and requiring full payment again of £70/£120 for a brand new sim with mainly improved gamified features will just seem like a massive cash grab and will lead to the questioning of MSoft/Asobo integrity and transparency.

5 Likes

Yes, that’s true and most off them will work, but not every addon.

My concern is, will it be necessary for Asobo to develope the sim any further for real simmers.
MSFS 2024 will be more gamisch and will it then be necessary to have a detailed aircraft simulation or is it enough to have basic flight characteristics?

There are lots of things that real simmers are aiming for, but will it be developed.
ATC is on hold, multi-monitor and widescreen support is not yet what it should be, detailed SDK for third party developers is slowing down, etc. There are lots of things on the bucket list for real simmers.

1 Like

Just like EX-Plane has trains and police cars speeding around everywhere, our thing in MFS will be tornados…LOL. I kinda like that.

1 Like

Hope they will offer a big discount for owners of the 2020 version.

2 Likes

They won’t…

1 Like

Direct Storage and a significantly improved sim engine … xbox will manage just fine

Those on console consistently getting black screens might argue otherwise. I have never seen this on the PC, presumably because I have more memory than the consoles. They really need to do something about that.

Unless Asobo find an innovative way to optimise memory usage, the consoles lower memory budget will continue to hold them back.

2 Likes

So they put in a faster and bigger SSD that can double as memory, at a capped 30fps with an optimised sim engine it shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

1 Like

SSD as memory is an option, but its horribly slow by comparison. If users don’t mind reduced performance as opposed to black avionics, that might be the way to go.

It will be at minimum NVMe PCIe4 but I won’t discount 5 if it also gets faster controllers. If MS didn’t think it up to the job they would just let it fade away

This thread is a fun thing to re-read in a couple of months, to see all five stages of grief :slight_smile:

feel bit sorry for the mods though.

2 Likes

You can’t compare from the past, they were all stand alone sims. updating was hard ( in most not possible) you lived with what you got, adding new features almost impossible, to push forward you had to release a new version that’s not how MSFS has been its been constantly updated for 3 years with new features added, in old style terms we are already on version 12.

i also fail to understand why people are so obsessed with the tornados
what have they got to do with aviation? who the hell flies anywhere near a freakin tornado?
you’re just all the looking at fancy packaging with wide eyes of a child. Hurricanes i could understand.

3 Likes

I’ve always like this one:

I’m already at 7, heading back to 1 next year! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

You really think MS builds engines for Asobo? If anything it’s the other way round, at least after the initial handover of the FSX engine to Asobo. MS is the publisher.

1 Like

And which of these old MFS simulators had backward compatibility with add-ons? Which of these simulators had so much support from add-on developers. Which of these simulators was addicted to being online all the time for the quality of graphics and other data?
None of them. So comparing the current simulator to previous releases is at least inappropriate. This is not another Call of Duty. They promised 10 years of support for this simulator, and with all due respect, I don’t see 2020 anywhere in the name. They misled us and we have a right to be disappointed.

2 Likes

XBOX S user –

I feel like a cheated lover.

Asobo you told me you were away sorting bugs, improving our relationship, working hard to make our time together much better, you promised me this. What! You dirty things, you were out making another version, behind my back and moving on! Asobo we have 12 months let’s try and FIX things OK no ATC, no real, real weather but the fundamentals Asobo yes the fundamentals, surely we can fix these before you leave, Please.
What’s that, you’ll will take me with you to the new pastures. Super news thank you, I’ll just ignore the fact that our relationship was built on lies and deceit.

2 Likes