Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announced

Growth, and change, are often painful. Requires specs change over time.

X-Plane 11 Recommended Requirements

• CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K at 3.5 ghz or faster.
  • CPU SPEED: Info.
  • RAM: 16 GB.
  • VIDEO CARD: DirectX 12-capable video card from NVIDIA, AMD w/4 GB VRAM.
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 4 GB.
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.1.
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.1.

XP12 Recommended Hardware Requirements

• CPU: Intel Core intel i5-12600K or Ryzen 5 3500 or better, or Apple Silicon
  • Memory: 16-24 GB RAM or more
  • Video Card: a DirectX 12-capable video card from NVIDIA or AMD with at least 4-8 GB VRAM (GeForce RTX 2070 or better, or similar from AMD)

Do we expect whatever MSFS morphs into in 10 years time to still run on current hardware?

1 Like

I wonder how 3rd party devs will be affected by this.

If there is a significant change in code then will they have to update their products for 2 versions of the sim? If so, then not too fantastic for them.

If there is a minimal change in code then maybe this will not be necessary. However, in this scenario it might lead more serious simmers wondering what is the point of updating and spending maybe £70/£120 for something which will only give them gamified (and based on past history likely very arcadey and very superficial to appeal to a wide audience) additions which they are not interested in.

I certainly think that either way there will be a loss of interest in 3rd party products even if this is only temporary until at least Asobo are more forthcoming and give us much more information.

For myself, until I hear more information which proves interesting to me as a simmer, the only addons I will be buying will be very high quality addons like the A2A Commanche (if it ever comes out) and the like (of which there are very few). I have now lost interest in all other 3rd party products and will pass by all other addons including MSoft offerings which I can now (admittedly generously) get with a 33% discount.

FSX did … more words

It might be fun to put a poll together. All I would ask is whether the community sees this announcement of a new simulator version as a positive or negative thing for the community, and the franchise as a whole. A simple yes/no, good/bad question in effect.

Scientists doing research. News channels in the midwest. Cloud seeding aircraft. There’s three for a start.

Nothing to do with Asobo, and i keep seeing these posts blaming Asobo. They are merely the dev, and work under instruction from MS.

2 Likes

Yes, that would be a good fun thing to do. I think they did a similar sort of thing on the Xplane forum (slightly different though) with interesting results.

Would this be allowed on this forum though?

I see no reason why not. There will always be those that will say the poll is skewed in some way or other, so keeping it simple would work best. I was thinking the question could simply be “Do you see MSFS 2024 as a positive move for Flight Simulator?”, with a yes/no answer.

Or words to that effect, but with a yes/no response, none of that multiple choice stuff.

We are more affected by how people are reacting to the news, just like your decision, which instead will punish 3rd party devs because Microsoft has pushed the platform forward.

For us is just business as usual, you guys realise we have to update our products after pretty much each SU is released? or each AAU is released? nothing changes here… MS2024 comes, Microsoft is telling add-ons just work as usual… and even if we had to do some updates here and there, well it is what we have been doing since MSFS came out and each MSFS update has been delivered to your door.

It is our bread and butter, and nothing will change on this regard… now if people drop the support to 3rd party devs, you think it will really encourage them to keep going at same speed? :wink:

Best,
Raul

15 Likes

I am the only one who after knowing about this MSFS 2024 and SU13 “Surprise” there is some kind of connection…

Until the announcement of this new sim I did not understand very well why it was a Surprise a simple update

I would like to know how many years MSFS2020 will have access to the cloud aerial photo scenery after MSFS2024 is released. My concern is that MSFS2024’s spec requirements are too high and while I am hesitant to migrate, I will be locked out of MSFS2020 as well.

3 Likes

The tornado seemed to be coming from the base of what looked like a true cumulonimbus. Other clouds in parts of the trailer looked denser and more sharply defined than what we have now - more like the pre-SU5/SU7 clouds, so there appear to have been changes in the cloud rendering.

I think what will help some of the more squeamish people with regard to addon compatibility, would be a direct statement from each developer, saying what their plan is for making their addon work in 2024. Remove any mystery, and then it’s business as usual. Just my two cents.

1 Like

Great – at some time in the future, when they (we) know exactly what 2024 is.

At the moment, developers are just as uninformed as the rest of the Community, but hopefully that will change over the next 6-9 months.
It wont be till early betas if 2024 are made available, that anyone outside of MS/Asobo/WT will really now what changes are in 2024 that they will need to be address.

Big question might be – when is the 1st 2024 SDK going to be made available to developers and how long will developers need to have BOTH version available to them to support both 2020 and 2024

1 Like

I have on my discord server… why I wouldn’t? I been servicing SU6 to SU12 AAU1 to AAU2 (still on Beta) Ms2024 makes no difference… another day at the office…

R.

3 Likes

If you are going to quote things on your Discord server, how about an Invite-Link to it, so we can see what you are talking about ?

point is, I have advised to my customers why my policy will be… no need to post it here again… the topic is not about me… is about MS2024 hehe.

1 Like

Interesting thing is, there is no mention of the biggest pain points of 2020

• AI Traffic
  • ATC
  • performance

Not to mention lots of other but not so minor things like SDK for devs, weather radar, SODE jetways, decent replay capability and the list goes on - mind you a lot of these were capabilities that existed in FSX which was a decade older

Don’t worry, after MSFS2024 release, they’ll certanly keep you busy waiting for those fixes :smiley:

Edit: Or they were meant for MSFS2020 and they just release them for MSFS2024 instead… Sorry :smiley:

If you sort the Wishlist topic by votes, the top three are:

Weather
AI Traffic
Replay function

It’s odd that it isn’t until you get into the 40’s that purely flight model request pops up.

Some may be concerned that 2024 may be nothing more than a visual overhaul, but a good many of those wishlist topics are graphically based.

Maybe you really do get what you wish for?