MilViz PC-6 Pilatus Porter Released

Can’t anyone confirm if all the CFG files are unlocked?

I’m having an issue, where when I start the Prerequisites Setup Wizard and select install, I get a message that says.

“Service ‘Milviz WASM Helper’ (Milviz WASM Helper) failed to start. Verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services.”

As far as I can tell this is the DRM causing problems, not the installation of the plane itself, which never seems to start.

I am also reporting this to the Milviz site so this is not a support request, just popping in here to say, as a person who has already paid for the plane, I too would support the removal of this DRM requirement if possible.

8 Likes

Can confirm.
It’s not locked up like stuff from the in game marketplace.

1 Like

The Plane itself, including the cfg files are not encoded. Copyprotection works in conjunction with the wasm files.

You should complain to and blame all the pirates out there.
How should they protect it in your opinion?

1 Like

As I posted before, I get punished for something someone else did.

MilViz wants to protect their asset from loss (I am all for it) and has a quarrel with the software pirates. Thus they implement a measure, an always on DRM. That goes against the basics standards of software development. You try to limit your exposure time to a potential attack by as much as possible. And who pays for that? Not MilViz, not the pirates, but the legitimate customer by making their system less secure to protect the assets of a third company.

If a DRM is employed it should minimize the contact to the control server, should not be installed as a service and be not permanently resident. So there. that would be a basis. Its current iteration is not. We routinely work with software that is more sought after than these airplanes, is way more expensive and sophisticated and has way less intrusive DRM. Measure and reason of said measure are out of proportion here.

23 Likes

I feel like my issue with not being able to use the installer is also down to the DRM, I have tried every other thing I can do to fix it, the DRM is the only consistent thing through each way I have tried to troubleshoot installing it.

I can’t even install the product I paid for, that’s some truly invasive DRM.

4 Likes

Exactly, plus if someone is working remotely and have let their employer install EDR on their personal machine, DRM could trigger an EDR program and lock your computer or prohibit it from connecting to any network until your company’s helpdesk gets involved.

1 Like

You need to install Visual C++ 2015 libraries.

Is the DRM gone already? Want to fly this thing… :rofl:

Not a fan of the DRM situation but still quite interested in this. I’m also wondering how long it’ll take for ‘stage 2’ as I’m not a big fan of glass cockpits.

Same problem to me , impossible to install it!

1 Like

10 characters

3 Likes

Are you getting an ‘error reading from file’ message aswell? or is it a different one?

I have installed and flown it for several hours today. It is a nice little plane and with a reasonable price tag.
The DRM discussion sound a little like religion to me, MSFS is online all the time, what is the problem with the little DRM thing? On my computer it does not use resources that I miss.
Every time you install software, you risk malware on your computer.

2 Likes

Been watching this thread… Normally, I’d purchase anything MilViz in a split second, but this DRM discussion is rubbing me the wrong way. And the phrase “I am starting to think you are mad because you can’t pirate it” is one of the most insulting things. I have literally spent thousands on just aircraft in the past year. For MSFS (I own almost all - maybe missing 5 or so out of 74 released), P3D (I bought 30-40 aircraft) and XP (I bought 7 in the last 2 months)… So, just because I have a concern, to be lumped in with filthy pirates? Get outta here.

I am not against DRM. I am against DRM implemented in a way that eats up resources at all times. I don’t know how others do it. PMDG has activations through FMS on their Boeings in P3D. I like that…

MSFS: found an interesting DRM way that I THINK works and would probably be better than Milviz’ current (@Krazycolin , ARE YOU LISTENING? :wink: You wanted ideas)…

Just Flight! So their DRM works like this - their installer only proceeds after you entered your e-mail and password which verifies your purchase through their store. But that’s not all! I just found out yesterday that there is something else in place (and I thought it was pretty well done)… I recently had to reinstall Windows (about a month or so ago) but all my add-on aircraft are on an external drive and so I didn’t have to reinstall most of them. That folder is where ALL of my MSFS add-ons live. So, I reinstalled WIndows and MSFS. But remember, I didn’t run installers for those planes cause they were already in the Community folder on external drive… I launched MSFS, chose a JustFlight Turbo Arrow, the aircraft loaded, but with a message on the EFB “Security Failure” and the yokes were sideways and locked. I then got an idea that it happened because I didn’t run the installer since reinstalling Windows and it put SOMETHING somewhere that isn’t allowing this aircraft to run. So, naturally, I ran the installers and reinstalled all the JustFlight stuff and everything is peachy. I immediately checked my Task Manager to see if there is a service running. Nope. No service. So, they did it in some way that doesn’t seem to be intrusive but still allows them to protect their product from piracy. So, whatever they use, I think you may want to look into THAT. :wink:

14 Likes

The Justflight stuff has all been pirated too. Unfortunately.

1 Like

Really? I don’t know, I don’t go to those places, but I believe you. Maybe something that does periodic online ownership testing? Nah… that requires an app. Or a service. I don’t know. What did PMDG do for DC-6 for MSFS? All I had to do was enter a serial number. That was it. Has THAT been pirated? Cause it seems to just be an activation code.

1 Like

I’m a Real PC6 Pilots! and i’d like to see how is made and if is close to the real!

I have no knowledge on what has been pirated or not, and have no interest in knowing, but DRM is a hurdle that delays pirates not stops it. I mean I can’t name a single DRM game that I haven’t seen reports of pirates.

3 Likes