MSFS 2020 SU5 Difference between LOD 200, 400, 800 during descent from FL170 to FL090

Try to figure out where the LOD setting is. Recording Settings: 1920x1080, Ultra
The biggest loss of quality occurs when setting LOD = 100. I did not add it to the comparison video, so as not to make them too narrow.

LOD 100,200,400,800

Can see difference just about between 100 and 200 but not between 200 and 400 and 800.

4 Likes

In fact, yes. During a long recording, I still saw the difference between 800 and 400/200, but it consisted only in the fact that with an increase in LOD, objects begin to be drawn slightly earlier. But the difference when flying at FL080 + altitudes is completely imperceptible.

3 Likes

Biggest take for me is they all look blurry, simply increasing the LOD does not make the picture crispier as it was before but just load more blurry terrain further ahead…

6 Likes

Yes. This was the essence of the video. Show that editing the LOD in the config does not return us to the SU4 quality as many claim.

8 Likes

I think that’s it. At altitude you don’t notice these things as much.

Thanks for posting this. I thought I was going crazy running LOD at 5.0 and it had no effect on quality or frame rate.

1 Like

This helps to reinforce a private theory of mine, that the engine ignores any LOD setting over 200 and all the perceived differences are placebo…

1 Like

I tried LOD 5 in .opt but it still looked worse than my screenshots from the exact same spot in SU4. A lot of buildings/detail missing.

1 Like

There’s no difference above 200.

1 Like

It’s hard in those particular shots because the ground textures all just look blurry. Maybe try using this method in a photogrammetry city or just any city that has tall buildings that can distinctly be seen from a distance. I’ve seen some shots here showing abominable pop-in of buildings in the distance that clearly did not occur prior to SU5

1 Like

@Onyxnc

Try sharpening = 1 in config

And

Sharpening 0.5 / 0.17 in Nvidia contol centre on

BOTH

looks supersharp and nothing blurry on my system ( midrange )

3:20-3:26 notice how the buildings all pop-in at the same exact time regardless of LOD setting.

Thats very weird.

I tried the same. No difference in texture quality above 200. Mountains are just an ugly smudge. I â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  bought a oled tv and a pc for 4000$ for this sim. Next gen my behind! I feel violated!

4 Likes

Suggestion: in the UsrCfg file, check if the setting “Preset” is set to “Custom”

{Graphics
Version 1.1.0
Preset Custom
{Texture

Then change the LoDFactor.

I think maybe what happens is LoDFactor is ignored if the setting is set to Ultra instead of Custom.

1 Like

Will try, thx for the tip

You’re welcome, please let us know if it works or not, so others can benefit from your experience.

1 Like

Not quite true, I just tested this morning taking off from Edmonton Intl, on LOD 200 as soon as I climbed into the air on takeoff I had to fly halfway to the downtown core before I could see the main highrise buildings show up (previously they were visible from almost anywhere in the city). Changed LOD to 4(400) and booted back up and they were visible all the way from the airport.

As others have mentioned though, it still looks poor in general and even the highest “new” LOD settings dont seem to over the quality we had prior to SU5

2 Likes

Is this examples showing Terrain LOD or Object LOD and what is the diff between the two?