MSFS doesn't launch - opens MS store with Gaming Services instead

Just saved me reinstalling Windows. Thanks so much

I am at the end of my tether and am currently fed up with FS2020, with Asobo. In addition to the fact that Asobo has completely destroyed the FS2020 with the last update, at least in VR mode, the FS wonā€™t start for me for the umpteenth time and Iā€™m being redirected to Gaming Service in the MS Store. I have now tried all the solutions mentioned in this article and others, unfortunately all without success. No matter what I do, I always end up back at Gaming Services in the MS Store. I would therefore be very grateful if someone could give me the decisive hints and tips to at least be able to start the FS2020 again. Thank you very much. Iā€™m using Windows 10 21H2 by the way.

Donā€™t know if you already tried what I posted here, but if not then itā€™s certainly worth to give it a shot. Lots of other folks confirmed it worked for them tooā€¦

I have try everything which is suggested here and nothing works. I m trying to solve this issues since over 10 hours and it is so dissapointing. No clue whats the reason is. Until last week everything worked perfect.

1 Like

tried today again some other ways to solve this stupid issue. Also once and once again the described steps in this topic here. without any success and change. FS2020 still not starting and passing me to the Gaming Services in MS-Store. FS2020 is a big dissapointment and I just hope, Asobo is overhtinking their updates. smaller steps could be bigger and better steps forward. If somebody has a final solution to get FS2020 back and starting again Iā€™m very grateful for your support.

I found a solution that worked for me where others failed.

• On your keyboard, press the ā€œWin Logoā€ + ā€œRā€ keys
  • Type: WSReset.exe and press ā€œEnterā€
  • A black window will pop up
  • Wait until the pop up disappears and the Store comes up
  • Reboot your computer

Tried this but unfortunately it didnā€™t work. When I try to launch the sim after rebooting it comes up with the message
ā€œThis App canā€™t open
Check the Windows Store for more info about Microsoft Flight Simulator.ā€

It then directs you to the store where there is unsurprisingly no info at all. FFS this is just insaneā€¦I was playing it fine only 2 hours ago now its dead as the proverbial dodo,

Same problem here, Iā€™ve tried all the recommended remedies and spent hoursā€¦days on this. Thus including, reinstallations of both windows though repair and also fresh installations of MSFS. Still no resolves, first crashes, only working without wifi in offline mode, now gaming services issues. This is a major fault between windows 10, 11 and the game itself, effecting may users. All other games in my MS store work fine. It needs more focus and a fast resolve. Approaching 2 months now without the game working right, and now not at all.

1 Like

After days of effort I finally found something that worked for me.

Go to Setting > Apps > Gaming Services

Click ā€œadvanced optionsā€

Click Terminate, Repair, and Reset.

Open MSFS2020. FINALLY

5 Likes

It opens just fine for me, but is asking me to download a 113GB update? And my Official ā†’ OneStore folder has NOT disappeared, all my stuff is in there.

Edit: Well, what choice do I have? Downloading 113 GB right now. And just THRILLED about it!

1 Like

OK fellas I found the fix!
So after uninstalling make SURE you keep your old directory. REINSTALL.
When it asks you to install specify the same install path as the old one.
It should then skip the base file size and remember your old install, installing only the new updates required.

This worked for me completely! Hope this helps

1 Like

Go into Apps and Features (add/remove programs). I did a Reset on Gaming Services. Now it works.

1 Like

Thank you ā€“ this just started with me today, so this is exactly what I did (Go into Apps and Features (add/remove programs) & do reset on Gaming Services) and it worked. After I did this step, when I brought the Xbox app back up to launch MSFS, then there was a banner at the top that said the following:

I just ignored it and launched MSFS and it launched fine. Good luck!

1 Like

This worked for me thank you!!!

I have same problem please help me

Thought Iā€™d drop back in to see if everyone was still having the same old problems with updates and looks sadly like nothingā€™s changed. I uninstalled MSFS Dec 2021 and it will remain so til MS start giving a ST about their customers. Maybe they wonā€™t ever but Iā€™m feeling a lot happier and not missing the grief and frustration of trying to get something to work that just SHOULD. Iā€™ll continue to drop back in from time to time just on the off chance that MS start giving that ST. Meanwhile good luck guys.

1 Like

You should start looking at what is preventing you from operating the sim.
In 99% of the cases Iā€™ve seen here (Iā€™ve only seen two that werenā€™t), the solution has been in the Userā€™s PC.
With well over two million copies sold, and only handfuls of folks with this type of issue, it probably is your PC.

1 Like

Try this:
Right click on the Windows Start Button, and select Apps and Features.
In there find Gaming Services, Microsoft Store, and the Xbox apps.
On each of those, select Advanced Options, then Repair and Reset.

4 Likes

tried that still diddnt work

This is the official checklist for your issue.
As in any aviation checklist, go through it doing each item in order.
If you get through this list, there are links to the next versions at the end of the list.
Do those in order as well.

My suspicions are you may find the last item on the first link at the bottom of this checklist may be the one that is the solution, (re-install gaming services using powershell) but work through them until you get there.

Let us know how it goes!!

1 Like