MSFS doesn't launch - opens MS store with Gaming Services instead

I do not know the result that other users have had, but in my case, I have tried all the options in this post and many others in other forums, none of them solve the problem, when I try to launch the MSFS it opens the MS Store in Game Services

But I have found something that works temporarily.

In Xbox, I go to “Manage” option for MSFS game, then “Files” then “Verify and Repair”, this downloads 1GB of some kind of reinstall from MSFS, after that I can run MSFS, as long as I don’t restart the computer.

If I restart the computer, I have to go through the steps again.

It is all the contribution that I can add.

2 Likes

I reinstalled of Windows10, removed all aftermarket apps, did all the repairs, resets…yada, yada…I went to the Microsoft Store to reinstall MSFS 2020 Standard AND the Premium Deluxe upgrade, and they have disappeared from the Microsoft Store!! I still have a record of the purchases, complete with Order numbers, but so far, I have not found a way to reload the games I paid for.
Microsoft has caused a lot of grief and frustration, but it’s still the best sim by far…when you can download it and actually use it.

Did you submit a help request at the MS Store?

I think that my solution was reinstall from fresh W10 or 11 and then FS20, but if you don´t have it in the Store logged with your email of purchase…, very weird, contact with Microsoft yes.

worked for me, thx

1 Like

THAT was the solution for me! Thanks!!!

1 Like

Thanks, that fixed it for me!

I am on Windows 11 and have the same issue (after running okay at one time after the Win 11 upgrade.

I ended up solving the problem as follows:

In Windows terminal in admin mode do this:
get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers

Then reboot.

Then go into MS Store and select the option to download & install (cloud with an arrow) Gaming Services.

Then I started gaming services from the Open button in the store.

I noticed in Services that after I did this, GamingServicesNet also appears under GamingServices. The Net service was not there before doing this. I didn’t need to reinstall W11 or FS2020.

1 Like

Oh. My. God. You fixed it for me, too. How ridiculous! I hate to think how non-savvy users would figure this out.

1 Like

Thank you very much. this is the solution! :+1: :ok_hand:

Using the Media Creation Tool allowed me to finaly play MSFS again after a month of on and off troubleshooting.

No need to format your drives and reinstall windows and then download MSFS again.
Run this, let it run and start MSFS after.

Thank you Spatialprof for sharing the video.

1 Like

This is the solution, worked for me! Thanks!

Thanks a lot for the fix ! it worked for me

I did as you have done but It does not work for me

Here’s a simple fix that works for me every time:

1. Search “Apps and Features” in Windows search bar.
  2. Scroll down to find Gaming Services.
  3. Click on “Advanced options”.
  4. Click “Reset”.
  5. Open MSFS again and it should work.
1 Like

Thanks - I had tried a lot of other approaches found earlier in this thread and elsewhere, but resetting gaming services finally did the trick.

2 Likes

Well I’m glad I found this post. I flew yesterday–no problems. Tried to launch MSFS today and it opens MS store. I followed the steps in this post and launched the sim with no problems. No Win10 or MSFS 2020 changes that I could detect since my last good session, so I am not sure what caused the problem, but I have completely documented this process in case I have to use it again.

Many, many thanks TenPatrol

Until yesteday I was playing without problem. Today (nothing has changed, no installation, nothing at all) I try to play and the game and it does not work, instead launches the Microsoft Store Gaming Services (my mistake, I bought the Microsoft Store version, not the Steam version of the game).

• Everything is up to date (windows update, drivers, etc).
  • Every app in MS Store is updated.
  • I am playing with SU9 (I have never installed any FS 2020 beta).
  • I have tried to close the MS Store session and enter again, but it does not work (months ago I had a similar problem and the solution was that silly thing).
  • I have Windows 10 21H2
  • I have entered Windows Settings/Aplications/MFS advanced options/ and “REPARAR”, but it does not solve the problem. I have not tried with “RESTABLECER” because it seems to destroy important data, and I am not sure if this is the solution. O course I have not tried to uninstall and install the complete game again (I have a life).

The thing is that I DID NOTHING AT ALL and now it does not work, and no clue to know what is going on. I guess the problem is related to MS Store, not the game itself, but the responsability is shared because I can not play and this is the only game that is causing problems in my computer. No virus, everything is working PERFECT, except this game.

1 Like

Windows Updates yesterday. I’ve seen it where the Windows update kills gaming services on the Tuesday and its a few days before Gaming Services is updated in the Microsoft store. It could be that.