MSFS more and more an arcade game

It gets old to read every other day same complaints why default planes are not study level.
But you are totally right, shouldn’t write that comment at all especially when this is OP’s 12th sim so he/she already know what kind of default planes has been in other flight sims and why.

3 Likes

Lets say that I accept your expertise that has come with the study level involvement with 12 sims. Frankly, that would probably put you in like 2% of the population for this sim then. This was put on Gamepass for PC. Then put on GamePass for XBox. Soon it will be put on cloud gaming where IPads and XBox ones and such will be able to flight sim. It is opening the genre for people all over the world, this being their first flight sim to experience.

So you want all the aircraft to be study level. Well, truthfully, that would end up having a huge bulk of the population we are exposing then be turned off by the genre. If the learning curve is excessively steep, that will turn people away. I bought the first Flight Simulator for my Compaq Deskpro back in 1982. But the time spent trying to figure out flying versus seeing rectangles for scenery, it just wasn’t worth my time. I put it down after about 30 minutes and never touched it again. I bought Microsoft Combat Simulator years later. Still, the visual tradeoff versus having to do that learning, it just didn’t motivate me. I again put that down after 30 minutes and never touched it again. Now all these years later, I can explore the world. I can see what other areas are like. I can explore. Ive gotten into it enough now that I’m looking into home cockpits and accessories.

You want something that meets your skill level. Well if the sim was that way, it would turn a lot of people away. People that can grow to be like you. People that pay for addons, making this a profitable venture for 3rd party developers, which in turn bring you more of what you want. If the bar to enter this sim was too high, the population of this community would be small. You wouldn’t have the same future that you are looking at right now with it.

By all means, if you want only study level aircraft, then purchase them. The free stuff if you don’t like, ok, don’t use it. Keep in mind that it is probably meant for those who have not reached your level of experience yet, and is meant to welcome THEM more. Because the more people you have in this community, the better it gets for everyone.

Let Asobo do what they do, let the 3rd party developers do what they do. Its geared towards building this community and advancing the sim as a whole.

27 Likes

I really dont think you can call the planes in the GAME as half baked.
It seems to me your demands are way beyond not only what you have paid for the simulator but also are well beyond the intention of the producers, not to mention the capacity of most computers.
If you want to be realistic in your simming then you need to go to your local simmulator provider and pay around 150 bucks for 15 minutes in a real simulator.
(But the scenery, ironically, wont be as good as it is in MSFS.)
This Sim was cheap and what we paid for it hardly warrants a request for free study level realistic planes.
I think you are going over the top. The planes provided really arent that bad and allow you to do with a reasonable approximation to the real thing, what is intended, experience flying in a simulated World.

13 Likes

Deleted by user

I dont take too much notice of comments like that. Take any of the GS planes, put all the settings on easy and kids can fly them. And why shouldn’t a sim excite the next generation of pilots? That doesnt necessarily mean it cannot be a serious simulator too.

9 Likes

But that’s not the point. MSFS is the platform, the framework which is supposed to draw the customers. The customers can customize it to their level of complexity with or without 3rd party addons. No sim in history had really complex planes out of the box ever. But MSFS can be completely serious and it can be just for fun.

And let’s face it: the average customer won’t be a hardcore simmer and many probably soon find out it’s not their kind of game to learn complex stuff like POH graphs or programming a flight pkan into the onboard computer manually. So this platform comes with several planes by default, which are more than realistic enough for beginners and people with some prior knowledge. THAT is the main market for MSFS. And here you can make more money and draw more people with stuff that looks and sounds great like in all the trailer videos.

Due to the price tag, however, it would not be possible to include something on the scale of the JustFlight Arrow, PMDG DC-6 or the Aerosoft CRJ. There’s a reason those planes cost up to half the price of MSFS Premium Deluxe. Thousands of man-hours of development time.
It’s simple economics. It does not pay to include something for free that takes a lot of resources to develop and that only a minor percentage of people will be able to use properly.
And I am the best example: I have been flightsimming since 1986 and still after 35 years, the CRJ is too complex for my taste.

13 Likes

Well quite.

Some of the older versions of the sim it was surprising a button did not do something.

737 cold start was a game in itself.

This sim idle buttons are the norm for many things in default planes.

Also missing are the expected the niceties of doors that operate and other finishing touches … maybe not half baked but not fully frosted and decorated.

1 Like

Missing the Concorde from FS98 here

Well I like it, this ‘game’ gives me the closest experience to flying a real aircraft which is by far only about the aircraft performance. There are other sims in which the flight model might be more accurate, but they lack in other departments. And lets be honest, the freedom of going to places all over the planet without having to ‘plan’ your visit there by downloading orthos and without the necessity of having a huge disk full of them is something amazing.

Also, it might be me, but the DA40 handling comes very close to the actual airplane from how I experience it. So it can never be THAT arcadish. Other than that it’s just a matter of waiting for the big brands to release their true-to-life aircraft and for the platform to mature a few years.

13 Likes

Well said!
It’s a platform for 3rd party devs to utilise and get their products onto.
The default aircraft are simply ‘starter packs’ to get new simmers going, without having to read POHs and the likes.
Asobo could have been a bit better in getting some avionics right from the get go. They’ve learned some amount of lessons from the community over this past 15 months.

For those who want serious fidelity, those simmers have always known that defaults don’t offer that.

And of course we’re now shaping up for some serious study-level in Fenix and PMDG and the likes, charged at appropriate pricing, due to the much bigger market in their eyes.

6 Likes

This is exactly right. MSFS is a platform that allows beginners, intermediate and hardcore simmers to explore and discover the entire planet in precise detail. It is up to the user to create their experience.
There are no limits on preference other than the wait for specific developer and 3rd party content that meets an individual’s criteria. Declaring this is an arcade game is inaccurate and indicates the user is oblivious to the precise nature of this development.

7 Likes

If you are not satisfied then go and fly the real plane.I can guarantee its completely different from any sim.At the end of the day you are sitting there and not moving so enjoy it for what is until Asobo can make further improvements :wink:

8 Likes

I don’t think Asobo meant for these aircraft to be “Level Study”. They clearly stated that they will leave that to the third party devs to create. As to them releasing the aircraft as pay ware is on them and the people who but them. They are a company still with ways to make money. At least we get the World Updates for free.

No sim has ever released study level aircrafts even in updates. They all heavily relied on third party devs. FSX, P3D all relied on Quality Wings, PMDG, Aerosoft, etc to release some form of study level airliners. Same thing with XP11, the 737 Zibo Mod, Toliss, Flightfactor, etc.

5 Likes

This man! They been hard at work improving alot of aspects and yes there is still bugs, but they are tackling it step by step. People don’t realize that Asobo said this is a 10 year commitment for the sim. We are barely in year 1 out of 10 and people are already getting impatient over a lot of things. If we were in year 3 or 4 with minimal changes from when the sim released then that would be worry some.

2 Likes

What an unkind, ungracious, unnecessary, insulting, inappropriate etc etc topic title. Cheers.

12 Likes

MSFS series never provides study-level planes afaik. And I don’t think that their claim is to provide such planes. We knew what we were going to get.

2 Likes

They really should stop putting new content in while the old content is still so broken. I think they said that they want to do a big bug hunt soon, but as of now the development was really not encouraging.

Especially the broken weather needs a hotfix. That should have never been released the way it is now.

I wouldn’t expect great planes from Asobo though. Most default planes are very superficial, even for X-Plane as well. There is a reason, the Zibo Mod exists.

2 Likes

I suspect many of us, like myself, who bought into MSFS 2020 did so to be able to fly around in this virtual facsimile of our amazing planet. I don’t care for piloting - I’m not interested in the minutiae of technique, process, function or navigation, etc. I just want to be able to go from Jakarta to Singapore and take in the wonderful sights along the way, with a minimum ‘barrier to entry’ (in terms of know-how, etc).

In this sense, MSFS 2020 has been a success for me. If anything, I think it falls down in the abysmal A.I. pilot (‘flight assist’) which still can’t handle a simple instruction to take me from ‘A’ to ‘B’ without crashing the plane. Hugely disappointing - and utterly baffling.

I appreciate there are many here who are real-life pilots or extremely knowledgeable virtual pilots and I understand their want for ‘study level’ aircraft. Asobo should keep the needs of both types of customers in mind (which I think they are doing). Third-party developers have a special role here - they are uniquely placed to focus on individual planes and systems to cater to the more technically-minded customer, while Asobo continues to improve the world it has created in a more general sense.

Yep this needs a hotfix, it’s unacceptable and we should not have to wait for months for the next sim update with a broken weather system. Should never ever have got through testing. It’s a disgrace, meanwhile we have a bunch of toy planes and silly races to ‘enjoy’.

4 Likes