MSFS needs a Verify Integrity of Files function

Just like Steam which has saved my bacon SEVERAL times and given me peace of mind.

Dear reader,

Since game is so huge it would be lovely to have some sort of Verify Cache for FS2020 outside of Steam. Redownloading the whole thing is bad for your SSD/HDD-life. And such. Verify Cache can help to iron out eventual errors or missing files.

Yours,

Marius

1 Like

Stolen idea! :smiley: (I wasnā€™t actually the first)

I will say that the purpose of this wishlist item is dependent on how the game actually works now. It is entirely possible that during load when it says ā€œchecking for updatesā€ that the game checks package integrity against a checksum.

If it doesnā€™t do that, then I agree that it needs to; either automatically or through a manual, user-triggerable verification.

Iā€™d rather it were a manual check, donā€™t want to add to the load time of every single start. But I do think itā€™s needed.

1 Like

Please provide a cleanup function for installation. I experienced after the latest update with only 3 sceneries in the community folder the loss of all asphalt/concrete for all runways/taxyways. Instead every airport was covered with grass. Deleting everything in the community folder did not help. So I had to do a complete reinstall. I had to download over 110 GB of data, which took over 10 hours with the GPU-fan running at full power the whole time. So it would be time and bandwidth saving to have a check or cleanup function. Also this could give some hint what went wrong in the first place and would help to avoid these kind of incidents.

regards a fellow simmer

Hello everybody,
A lot of people have various issues, such as a function that doesnā€™t work, or a menu that is missing, often after an update that accidentally changed something. Personally, I donā€™t have the external cameras (a topic is published on this subject).
So, I imagine a tool that would verify that all the required files and folders are installed correctly in their place and up to date. If a file is missing or corrupted, this utility would offer to download and replace it. It could solve a lot of varied and unforeseen problems.
Everyone knows the ā€œChecking for updateā€ which is done automatically, there it would be a ā€œChecking for correct installationā€ launched by the user when he encounters a problem.
What do you think ?

If the update would work at all and I would not stuck again in the update process I woul apprichiate a Tool which corrct the messed data after the update. :smiley:

So congrats, you were able to updateā€¦XD
Looks like I have to install the full game agin.

That would be my wish too. Because the repair function under app options seems to do nothing at all.

I too would love to see this inclusion. I agree with your reasoning as well.
Thank you.

Hi there, I would like to have a wishlist for an Integrity Checker for MS Store Version that would check all the installed files for the MSFS 2020ā€¦I am thinking about the futureā€¦ Would it be possible? Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA

1 Like

Even for the Steam version, the Verify File Integrity check would reset the entire installation and would end up having to redownload the entire app if used. If they do add this integrity checker for the MS store version, they have to do it right.

3 Likes

What we need is a installation reset/repair function which automatically repairs any corrupted installation like windows 10.

Or it could (and probably does) simply check the package version within the manifest.json file. Running each and every file through a hash function would take an hour.

The client already appears to scan whether the file sizes and/or dates match within the layout.json, which is why I can see errors in developer mode after making modifications to the core files.

Iā€™m agree, there are more and more updates (installed automatically without advise and permissionā€¦ What about to question if I want update now? For if you want make any previous verificationā€¦ Or simply because it works well for me and I donā€™t want update) and the possibilities for corrumption files increses each time more. I have a problem and donā€™t know if it is caused by a corrumpted file All AI stationary disappears (Console:"Invalid variable name")

Blockquote Even for the Steam version, the Verify File Integrity check would reset the entire installation and would end up having to redownload the entire app if used.

Not true as i have used it and what you claim was not the case.

If thatā€™s true, then itā€™s recently fixed, as that has been a longstanding bug:

Did you select a custom install location within MSFS for the main content (the bit installed via the sim), or did you leave it as default?

Anyone brave enough to risk it to confirm it if this is now fixed? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No itā€™s the default location. But I remember it didnā€™t find any problems and didnā€™t download any new files and that is probably why it survived now that I think about it.