Multi Monitor Support For Sim Pit Builders

Re: the new rendering engine:
If they’re enabling VR, the engine can handle multiple warped frustums mapped to a single screen. Defining the frustums to cover an arbitrary non-stereo FOV and applying an appropriate planar-to-equirectangular warp should be absolutely trivial.

1 Like

When he says screen he means a display screen in the cockpit.

If anyone reading this knows anything about hooking into the pre-scanout pipeline, I’d love to collaborate on some new warping software wit the intent to release as FOSS.

Not my area of expertise, sadly. I do recall that the guy behind NThusim was trying to build a new product, but that of course would be commercial. Actually I just checked his Facebook and he’s abandoned the idea for lack of a development partner. Having something open source would be great.

I would be curious to know how many home cockpit pilots there would be around the world who are in a similar position. It almost looks like the developers never looked at what we had before and started with a clean sheet that did not include some of the “must haves” from the past. I have five screens but would settle for 3 so I can have at least all my controls and gauges on one screen.

I am. Totally shocked no support for multiple monitors.

2 Likes

I guess the hard truth is that cockpit-builders are a small minority of simmers, and simmers are only part of the audience that Microsoft is targeting with this sim. It’s a mass-market product for what has traditionally not been a mass market. Not to mention a mostly common codebase between PC and Xbox versions. So I understand that Asobo would have focussed on the primary use case for the sim which will be a single screen and some basic controllers.

If they did not build the rendering engine with the idea of multi-view in mind as a future development, that would be a serious concern. However, since it turns out the engine can already support multiple windows on multiple monitors (see pop-out glass panels, a feature I cannot believe Microsoft did not actively tell us about), it surely could be done with outside views. In fact, it’ll have to be done (in perhaps a slightly different way) for VR support which we know is coming shortly. But trying to fix the FPS issues will be a significant task. Undocking glass panels creates a big hit at the moment. If we end up with a sim that performs worse than P3D when using multiple views, for example, then that would be a big step back.

I see Luciano Napolitano is working on ‘Wideview 2020’ already and if that works as well as the FSX/P3D version then we will have a multi-channel solution available to us. That’s potentially a game-changer. But total camera control is vital - if it can be done via SimConnect then presumably we’ll see a port of Ezdok or ChasePlane.

I’m happy to wait and see - for now. Were we still in this situation 6 months from now, I think we’d all have a right to be upset. But I will give Microsoft and Asobo the benefit of the doubt for now.

2 Likes

+1 for delivering what was clearly promised as a feature in the feature discovery series about cockpits, multi monitor support (NOT stretched and distorted views with Nvidia Surround).

My sim pit contains 3 x 55" screens for front, left and right views out of the cockpit. Works wonderfully in X-Plane 11, doesn’t work at all in MSFS 2020…Nvidia Surround is not an option, especially with 90 degree angles between screens, and no room to lower the angles :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Avec fsx on pouvait créer des nouvelles vues, les déplacées, les recadrées comme on voulait, en plus on avait aussi le panel 2 D que l’ on pouvait aussi agrandir pour le mettre à bonne taille des écrans cockpit et pour la vue exterieure il suffisait de mettre la vue cockpit, “touche f 9” sur l ‘écran vidéo projecteur, de la recadrée à la bonne taille et d ‘avancé cette vue avec les touches clavier pour n’ avoir que la vue extérieure,. C’était simple et efficace pour faire vivre son sim cockpit, quelque soit le type d’avion utilisé. AVEC FS 2020 CE N EST PAS POSSIBLE C EST SIDERANT.
FS 2020 étant la suite de fsx il fallait en garder ces avantages, créations de vue et déplacements, vues cameras, raccourcis claviers identique. D’ailleurs c" est ce qui avait était fait par exemple entre fs 2004 et FSX. Comme ça tout le monde garde ses repères, pourquoi changer des solution simple qui on prouvé leurs éfficacités. Je pense que fs 2020 à été pensé pour les joueurs qui vont l’utilisé sur la X BOX donc sur la téle mais pas du tout pour les vrais passionnés de pilotage et des home cockpit en particulier.Personnellement, tellement déçu, j’ utilise donc toujours fsx et fs 2020 est mis de coté jusqu 'a nouvelle ordre!!!
“FS 2020 DEVRAIT ETRE UN FSX AMELIORE AVEC LES NOUVEAUX GRAPHISME.”
MERCI ASOBO de pouvoir améliorer cela pour tous les passionnés que nous sommes et qui sont le coeur de votre cible.

“With fsx we could create new views, moved them, cropped them as we wanted, in addition we also had the 2 D panel that we could also enlarge to put it to the right size of the cockpit screens and for the outside view it was enough put the cockpit view, “f 9 key” on the video projector screen, cropped it to the right size and move this view forward with the keyboard keys to only have the outside view ,. It was simple and effective to bring your cockpit sim to life, whatever type of aircraft you used. WITH FS 2020 THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE IT IS SIDERING.
FS 2020 being the continuation of fsx, it was necessary to keep these advantages, creations of views and movements, camera views, keyboard shortcuts identical. Moreover, this is what was done for example between fs 2004 and FSX. So everyone keeps their bearings, why change simple solutions which have proven their effectiveness. I think that fs 2020 has been designed for gamers who are going to use it on the X BOX so on the TV but not at all for real enthusiasts of piloting and home cockpit in particular. Personally, so disappointed, I therefore always use fsx and fs 2020 is put aside until a new order !!!
“FS 2020 SHOULD BE AN IMPROVED FSX WITH NEW GRAPHICS.”
THANK YOU Asobo for being able to improve this for all the enthusiasts that we are and who are the heart of your target.”

I agree COMPLETELY, thanks to Translator.

Remember to VOTE for this in the wish list section

2 Likes

I second that. Cockpit builders please remember to actually vote on the “official” multiscreen support thread in the wishlist:

6 Likes

I just discovered this thread. Yeah, folks, please go vote on the Multiple Screens Functionality item.

I just made a video last night illustrating why folks who don’t have multi-monitor setups should want it, and why those of us with such setups (even if it’s just a minimal triple-monitor setup without physical instruments such as mine), should raise awareness of the lack of support for proper surround experience.

4 Likes

hey, thank you so much for sharing this video with us. you brought it at the point. i´m in the same trouble with MSFS2020. give us this f****** multi screen support!!!

4 Likes

Hi all, how i can save position of my instruments positioned on other monitors?

Oh, thanks I will try asap.

Hi, did we already get any feedback from the mods or developers here if and when we can expect multi view capabilites?
Probably I missed it but in general it would be great to receive an indication like “yes we are already working on it”, “it takes at least 12 months” “no it is not in scope on our further development plan”
That would be really great to hear something like that.
Cheers
Mic

5 Likes

It got mentioned in an interview AVSIM did with the devs shortly before the launch. They said they wanted to be able to do it, but that’s as far as it went. It’s not been confirmed to be on the roadmap. I’m sure it is, though.

I tried to save positions with ctrl+shif+alt+1 but it didn’t work.

Any idea?

me, too. I guess it does not work. Would have been great (best as a key-shortcut as well as a simconnect event).

My workaround for 3 monitors (4 in fact) set in one flat row (creating mega ultra wide flat display with nVidia surround)