Multiplayer: Players disappearing or not visible at all

@dTwotonemurphy Thank you (and also to the Thunderflys) for all of this,
I do want to add for #2 that Ghosting still happens when it shouldn’t (ever since SU5) this only happens when your flying a few knots faster than lead, the lead will ghost and then disappear (just like flying through a plane) from the server way before it should be ghosting. If its faster than just a few knots difference it will instantly blink from the server. it can sort of been seen here (which is SimCeasar oddly enough :grinning:) but I have seen it quite a lot when flying

1 Like

Yea, bump to this. I’d love to at least see this on the known issues list and know that something is being done. This can’t be a massively complicated issue…it’s just being strategically ignored I think. Totally game breaking for group pilots, streamers, etc. Additionally, * it worked fine before! * …so what the heck.

2 Likes

It makes no more fun flying with friends when there always disappear online, pls fix that

5 Likes

Same issue here as many others though for me, I have not seen any actual players since the update. I have tried cycling multi-player, along with online status etc. I’ve tried all of the available servers, with and without a community folder, signing out and back in, I’ve even tried a complete reinstall to no avail. It’s certainly frustrating and aside from bumping this topic and voting it appears to be a waiting game.

2 Likes

I just finished a group flight with two friends. This time it worked better than ever before (we do this occasionally since August 2020). We have been visible to each other the entire time. We had multiplayer set to OFF (Group Only).

When I am flying with all players visible, I still see some other planes disappearing and reappearing sometimes, but less often than before SU6.

Overall it looks like an improvement. Maybe it also depends on the selected servers and the time of day, just how busy the servers are.

1 Like

Multiplayer Proximity Instancing (PC and Xbox):

Players consistently pop in and out of existence when attempting to fly with friends or a player used as a departure point.

Attempted fixes, but unsuccessful:

• Invite to group
  • Using player as departure point
  • Starting at same airport
  • Starting at similar custom departure point
  • Both players switching to new server

I’m not sure about the technical aspects behind the issue, but at a minimum this needs to be corrected to ensure people on your friends list, group, and the player you select to spawn on are prioritized higher than someone whos miles away from you.

This issue is a huge annoyance for the Flight Simulator experience and playing with friends.

8 Likes

make sure you scroll to the very top here and click VOTE to up vote this.

anyone else get the impression if they just stay online with (invisible) friends and play for 5 to 10 minutes, it eventually makes them show up solid?

after many restarts and switching servers, and trying invites, and not seeing and seeing status as online, we just gave up and started playing. after some time, maybe 10 minutes? we showed up to each other and didn’t have further issues.

1 Like

Its really spoiling the sim for all the group flyers, this needs attention, it was fantastic in the early days now its frustrating and really kills the fun.

As some others have mentioned, although its been getting worse for some time there has been a big drop in stability and increased bugs since the XBox release, perhaps the 2 systems can’t easily coexist on the servers?, or is it just that bandwidth/server capacity has not kept up with player numbers?

3 Likes

Sorry for the unconstructive post but I stopped the Sim… :pensive: :triumph:

Don’t stop. We love having you on our group flights. It’ll get fixed eventually.

2 Likes

:smirk: No I’m not leaving for good, just for now…
I did a test on Monday on the Murph event and we always disappear :weary:
So instead of screaming all alone at home I prefer to stop for the moment :smirk:

(It’s also the fault of the Twotonemurphy community, we have so much fun in multiplayer that now I no longer want to fly alone) :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Multiplayer works on Xplane, DCS and P3D you know :wink:

2 Likes

Cannot vote… lost all my vote on closed items and now I have no more vote available :frowning:

Did another group flight yesterday: we had a lot of visibility at first when connecting but after a while it was more stable. We did lost visibility of each other from time to time but not as much as last time. Improvement…

Hello,
Once you reach Trust Level 2, you will have unlimited votes. When a topic is closed, you actually get that vote back.

1 Like

Aircraft and Nameplates keep showing/hiding. It would be nice to have control over how and when the nameplates show perhaps based on distance. It would also be nice to be able to hide aircraft and names you don’t want to see like the guy who insists on flying an airliner to a GA event. A binding for show all/hide all would be a start without the need for a mod that sometimes works.

I think there appears to be a gradual improvement every few days.

However, its still far from being fixed.

Im not sure if MS/Asobo are working on a absolute fix or a phased approach over time so be sure to keep spreading the word and get more votes in folks!

Thanks

9 Likes

My impression is that it depends on server load. If you are in an area with just a few planes it seems to be more stable.

My guess as programmer is that

• they use the UDP protocol. U in UDP means Unreliable (which is fine for fast position updates but not for game state changes such as people connecting to the network)

• they only test on local servers and not on heavily loaded external servers where packet losses are much more likely to occur

but then again this might be completely wrong since I sent in a Zendesk ticket with this suggestion over a year ago.

3 Likes

You’ve been listed in DevUpdate’s Top Bugs.
Now we can see the progress of Asobo.
We’re still asking for your vote.

5 Likes

I wonder how the air races will work next week when multiplayer will be fixed in 2022?
We did a flight this week with 3 players, unfortunately still with lots of disappearing players.

6 Likes