Multiple screens functionality

Just think if this was an older version you could use your triple monitor rig, and your ultrawide at the same time as well. They have left us in the dirt on this one it seems, to bad.

this is just my personal thinkingā€¦ im running a 9900k, 2080ti with nvme drives and cannot run high-end graphics at an acceptable frame rate on a single 1080p monitor. When i span triple monitors its un-flyable. so far the biggest draw to fs2020 is the vfr scenery which is wonderful for xbox. I think they are more focused on the Benjamin from xbox gamers and hoping the 3rd party developers will cater to the simmers. Ive already spent 5 times the price of this full blown sim just to have navigation and 2d panels for my pit. If they do implement multi monitors the way we want it, i will have to spend 50 times the price of the sim to run itā€¦lol dont crucify me guys, just sharing my frustration.

LOL do it like we did it in the olden times, just hook up 4 or 5 pcā€™s and 3080 cards in all of them. You remember some of those rigs people had back in the olden times ;p

1 Like

I am running msfs2020 with high end settings and three projectors, nvidia surround. 5780x1080. Rtx3090. I have set FPS to maks 30, and it stays on 30 all the time. I never had any cdt. It will be interesting to see if there is some perf. Gain after next update and dx12.
Here is my rig: Second test Boeing 737max home cockpit with msfs2020 - YouTube

6 Likes

+1 would love to encapsulate like xplane and not have to use vr

1 Like

+1 multiple monitors are key to my home built sim.

1 Like

That is an amazing set up!!! Iā€™d love to know more about your projection set up and the hardware/screen/instrument interfaces to MSFS!

The smaller field of view, especially vertically seems to get around many of the multi screen issues that prevent nvidia surround from working well with many GA aircraft.

I understand your frustrations! People who have spent tons of time and money on complex multi screen physical cockpits in general must be in a state of incredible perpetual frustration.

That said, Iā€™m not sure making this personal and calling out Jorg or anyone in particular at Asobo is going to help. They have acknowledged this is important and that itā€™s going to happen and that DX12 will be an important step towards that happening. Maybe Iā€™ve missed it and it happens often? But I canā€™t recall ever seeing any of the key Asobo folks jumping in to address particular issues on these forums? Please, if Iā€™m wrong on that, someone post links so I know what Iā€™m talking about.

I got a second 32" monitor on the way to match my current one and while a 2 monitor setup wonā€™t really work well for me since I donā€™t want a gap in the center, the two monitor set up will only be one monitor away from 3 32" monitors and THAT would be amazing for MSFS, Iā€™ve always wanted a 3 monitor flight simulator. And I have a 16" touch screen that I got working reasonably well in P3D for a bit before moving on from that project and Iā€™d love to use that for instruments and screens. Just being able to pull out screens, but not the bezels around them with the buttons and knobs and not being able to move steam gauges and other control panels makes that very limited functionality. Better than nothing, but SO far from perfect.

And hearing the DX12 wonā€™t be coming on July 27th with the XBox version as previous stated is also no encouraging. But they say it is still coming soon. Maybe that delay on DX12 means they want to get multi screen working better with DX12 before they release it? Probably not that case, but Iā€™m trying to stay positive here!!!

Anywaysā€¦ SOME DAY weā€™ll have great multi screen support Iā€™d guess!!! Hope Iā€™ll have my own multi screen setup not too long after that!!!

2 Likes

Until multi-monitor is supported, two or three monitors just doesnā€™t work.

I have a big 4k monitor, but found it too narrow. So I tried two 1920x1200 monitors side-by-side.

The join in the middle was horrid, so I rejigged my desk to try three 1920x1200 monitors side-by-side (that used up my entire stock of available monitors!).

That didnā€™t work too well either, because it was too wide for msfs. However, it was OK if the sim window was as wide as two monitors but places in the middle, so there was a half monitor unused either side.

So I bit the bullet and bought a curved widescreen monitor. Itā€™s 3840 x 1440 or something similar.

I have it set up so Iā€™m sitting very near the monitor and it almost fills my view.
Thatā€™s a lot better, but I also like to have a couple of touchscreen 15.6" monitors beneath it for instruments.

The problem is that popping out the Garmin windows drops the fps by a full 20fps, so I tend not to bother. Perhaps after this monthā€™s sim updateā€¦

Hopefully multiple monitors functionality will solve the blurry lights / bloated light orbs that plague wide-screen as mentioned in another post
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/any-fix-es-for-the-bloated-runway-airport-lights-when-using-nvidia-surround-or-an-ultra-wide-monitor/297979

Multi-Monitor support will not happen unless an XBox is developed with multi-monitor support. The console Is, Has, and Will remain their focus. Like it or not, that is what any MS game will be like.

1 Like

This is where I think the post above is wrong.
The Xbox isnā€™t the be all and end all of this sim.
After initial release and sales for Xbox I predict the Xbox hype and player base to die off over time and the pc community will be the ones making this sim a success.

4 Likes

I really hope you are right, but if it is not profitable, it will be abandoned. PC players buy it once and spend some money over time on 3rd party [ayware. Console players buy XBox live subscriptions for multiplayer, they spend money on addons like skins, dance moves, avatar clothes, etc. How MSFS will fit into their ā€œhave the kids spend Dadā€™s moneyā€ scheme, I donā€™t know. But what I do know is that once the money flow goes stagnant, so will the commitment to the game. I donā€™t blame them, they arenā€™t in business for our pleasureā€¦it is about profits.

I am hoping that it is much better than X-planeā€™s implementation when it eventually comes. The side views were impeccable but the way it was implemented was extremely detrimental to my sim performance.

1 Like

IMNSHO, Prepar3dā€™s current ViewGroups implementation is the gold standard when it comes to multi-view setups. X-Planeā€™s implementation seems to be hampered by not being DirectX on PC. ā€˜Classicā€™ MSFS had the ability to open multiple views on a single monitor from a fairly early version (the BAO Atari ST version could do it back in the late 80s), and supported doing so on multiple monitors via ā€˜undockā€™ for quite some time.

Iā€™m still staggered that Asobo didnā€™t think that was essential functionality to put into the new MSFS from Day 1.

4 Likes

Canā€™t really comment on p3d tbh since most of my civ. flight sim experience is with X-plane 11 and less recently FSX.

However, like you I am staggered that Asobo didnā€™t have it as a day one option in FS2020. I feel a bit sorry for all those cockpit builders out there who I think have been let down and ignored. Presumably a fair few of them still remain on P3d or X-plane resulting in a revenue loss for Asobo.

Ah ā€¦ the Atari ST. A great value PC which excelled on the music side of things too. You are showing your age my friend but there is nothing wrong with that :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I prefer to think of myself as ageless. But yeah.

3 Likes

I do remember Asobo stating before MSFS 2020 came out that MSFS 2020 will support home cockpit builders As most running home pits rely on multiple monitors support. Hence why I purchased a multiple projector system. Just to find out it was all pre-marketing bull$#it . Now Iā€™m stuck with a stretched distorted work around image until they implement it.
But hey, Xbox donā€™t do multiple monitors so why should Asobo bother.
I swear they took a leaf out of Elon Muskā€™s book and promised the hyperloop and we ended up with a tunnel full of Teslaā€™s.

4 Likes

As much as I like Jorge and the team at Asoboā€¦ instead of dancing around the question, or picking far off dates, etcā€¦ How about a simple YES or NO from them on true multi monitor support.

I see all this wishful thinking and annoyance in the forums, and I can only imagine the anger if they donā€™t do it.
This feature was promised pre-release and is not even on the horizon in any substantive way at this point. Itā€™s all just vague comments from them.

YES (and WHEN) or NO please, so we can all move on!

2 Likes

move on ā€¦ or move away!

1 Like