Multiple screens functionality

Already have a 55" 4k its good enough for this.

Multiple PC’s - go look them up from back in the day, there was a reason they used Multiple PCs to power there cockpits ;p

1 Like

This is my idea of a wrap-around cockpit…

When I can do this with MSFS like I could with P3D I will be happy. Not before.

4 Likes

To much discussion about multi monitor support with P3D and X-Plane.
This is a MSFS2020 forum and the problem of multi monitor support is with this sim.
Asobo has to fix this.

4 Likes

Well yeah…but the thing is that MSFS in all its previous versions had these things. Asobo chose to remove them for whatever reason. This decision right here led to the speculation on the forums that the developers had no idea of what the sim was or should be or that if they had even been on a plane in their lifes before. Which in turn led to the dev’s posting about riding in a GA to get the feeling for the thing etc, and that so and a so was an actual pilot blah blah blah…

3 Likes

My Baron G58 home cockpit is just about finished wiring up. I am soooo hoping for multi monitor support when done for three projectors. But there is some exciting be with mixed reality coming out soon we might have the best of both worlds. The ability to see clearly inside our real home cockpit and the depth of looking out the windows in vr. Apple’s mixed reality set that is geared to be released next year looks quite thin and more comfortable.

Exciting times ahead. But, ya. I want a solution now lol!!!

Keep hoping for two years now… :smiling_face_with_tear:

17 posts were split to a new topic: Multi Monitor Support

If you are in Beta SU10, please use the Beta forum.

Please give us ViewGroups and Frustums, so that the growing number of us with home cockpits using multi-projectors or screens can enjoy full immersion.
Surely it can’t be that difficult. P3D did it years ago.
“FRUST”-rating…

6 Likes

Thing is, P3D was based on ESP which was based on FSX which had a rendering engine which was fundamentally built around multiple views. Classic MSFS had this capability back in the DOS days, it was how 2D panels were done before the VC arrived. Support for undocking views onto multiple screens came later when Windows natively supported multiple monitors. The camera system also supported full translation and rotation and defined frustums from early on. So ViewGroups etc were built on the foundation already laid in the sim for years.

MSFS was re-built on a rendering engine that was designed for a single view on a single display. Some will say that’s speculation but it’s really plainly obvious when you look at it. It’s also (to some extent) how they managed to go much further than P3D in terms of what could be drawn at what kind of frame rate; even now, P3D can’t support as many objects in the scene as MSFS does on a single view at similar FPS, even with a mature DX12-based graphics engine.

So it’s a bit of an apples vs oranges comparison. I just don’t think Microsoft will be willing to spend the money and time to basically re-build what they had in FSX, add what P3D has now, and then somehow add back all the new MSFS goodness into it - if that was even possible to run with the fastest PCs around, and I’m not sure it would be.

I am sure it’s possible to do much better multi-view support than what’s in SU10 Beta, and hopefully put enough capability in the base product so that 3rd parties like Fly-Elise NG can step in and finally support multi-projector etc. I miss my blended projector setup!

1 Like

Multi-monitor support is now in SU10 beta

5 Likes

I am loving it, after a bit of tuning I got 2 monitors setup working just fine no distortion at all. Central monitor is 21:9 3440x1440, left monitor is a 16:9 2560x1440.

3 Likes

FYI.
Multiscreen functionality is available in the beta under General Options, then down left experimental and then ADD NEW rendering window.
Then set lateral rotational distance to minus 90 for the left and plus 90 for the right window.

That is awesome. Made a short testflight, finally no distortions anymore. Absolutely great, waited one year and did not start MSFS. Only 13 fps with global qualitty on high, I hope with some adjustements I can increase the fps.

Do you think this functionality will help with distortion on ultra wide screens?

It only helps if you make two windows in one screen.

1 Like

It works brilliantly if you want extra monitors to show the side windows. It isn’t much use if you want anything else.

1 Like

A reminder that was posted above:

Keep conversations relating to the beta in the general discussion category of the beta forum.

Thank you.

Shortly after MSFS came out in 2020, I made a video in complaint of the geometric distortion. After a long two year wait, finally this feature is supported.

I just made a new video retracing the same flight I made in 2020. Looking at both videos together illustrates how happy I am with Update 10 (Beta).

1 Like

Will this only work with multiple monitors showing the same camera view? Or can I have two monitors, one showing internal view, one showing the drone cam, for example?

I haven’t experimented much beyond retracing my 2020 flight, and comparing them. You may find more answers in the official SU 10 Beta Multi-monitor thread: Multi Monitor Support