My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

Interesting, I have similar PC specs, but ended with different configs, and also have great experience (while yours is mostly uniform high, I have some on ultra, and some on medium or low):

Ryzen 9 5950X, 4x16GB at 3600, MSI Ventus RTX 3090 OC, MSI MEG X570 ACE, m.2 NVME storages, Windows 10 20H2. G2 connected to front USB 3 port via adapter (other ports did not work).

NVidia settings as in original post in this thread, driver 457.30.

Windows settings
Game mode - off, HAGS - off, VRR - don’t have such option.
Graphics performance settings - select MSFS, choose High performance.

OpenXR Dev Tools
Use latest preview - on,
Customized render scale - 100%
Motion Reprojection - off

FS2020 Settings

I have 50 fps during Nevada/Patagonia bush trips (with cloudy weather), 45 fps in GA above Sydney suburban area 1500 feet above ground (with clear sky) and similar in Sydney CBD (ORBX scenery), 35 fps in Sydney International airport (by FlyTampa).

1 Like

I’ve had weird issues too with the USB-C connection on my 2080Ti. I have a 1000 watt power supply and I have quite a few devices plugged into my PC. But every now and then I would lose one of my internal hard drives. The drive letter would just disappear and only a reboot would bring it back. I’m using the USB-C to USB-A adaptor now and I have no further issues. I wonder if using the USB-C port on the GPU increases power usage somehow.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I might take a chance on a pci card. Any make/model suggestions?

i can recommend any Fresco Logic Based USB Card from Inateck but surely others will work fine as well

2 Likes

I’d support this - it’s been a huge effort, and one very much appreciated!

5 Likes

In my case I got a very cheap “ELUTENG PCIE USB 3.0 Card” with 4 ports on Amazon. Some people got card that have separate power connection, but this one doesn’t. However in my case ASUS Prime x570-p did not recognize G2 in any of its USB ports, but this card reliably works. I still need to set PCI to GEN3 in BIOS to not get the occasional blue screens though. But just doing this without the card doesn’t help.

2 Likes

I just tested the following USB 3.0 Powered hub and I can confirm it’s detecting the headsed too: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07R97MKQF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will test for stability, but this hub is useful regardless of G2.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I’ll get one of these cards and hopefully this will resolve things.

i would totally support a “RTX3080 for @CptLucky8” Campaign!

3 Likes

So the new nvidia driver is still not working correctly for MSFS 2020 VR right?

it works but 457.30 is smoother experience with less stutter

2 Likes

I second cyberceno/Cptlucky. I tried them all… several time… it’s exhausting :slight_smile: 457.30 still the “winner” for me.

1 Like

Does that disabling hardware accelerated gpu scheduling apply also for non vr flying?

You might want to read this then:
My 2070 SUPER 4K settings and suggestions - episode 2

NB: some might be outdated since my VR settings discussions and finding but most is still very relevant.

I’m going to go ahead and eat some crow and say I’ve changed my mind about reprojection. I think it’s easy to get tunnel vision when you’ve loaded up the same Kennedy Int’l flight about 700 times for testing purposes.

Last night I realized I didn’t have the latest world update installed. I installed it and saw the new Alaska bush flight. Fired that up with my G2 and Honeycomb gear. Even running TAA 70 / OpenXR 70 with all high settings, there was something really bothering me about 30 minutes into what was supposed to be this beautiful sightseeing trip. It was annoying to look in the cockpit, it was annoying to look outside. It was generally nice, but nothing to write home about.

I decided to turn off reprojection and crank all my MSFS settings up to ultra. The Alaska bush trip turned into a religious experience. If you don’t whip your head around side to side, or put your eyes up to the stick and strafe left and right, the motion experience is nearly identical. The visual experience was much different. I was able to run at TAA 80 / OpenXR 100, all MSFS settings maxed at 35+ FPS. I think the Terrain LOD setting to 200 made a big difference in how interesting the ground looks from bush flight altitude.

One thing that I don’t think I weighed properly with my first tests was the artifacts introduced by reprojection. I was focusing mostly on propeller distortion and wing+runway distortion. These are really not that bad if you have the right drivers and you’re able to keep enough resource headroom for OpenXR reprojection. However, there’s what I would call a shimmering and a blurring that happens with reprojection that just exhausted my mind and eyes after spending more than a few minutes in the air. It’s hard to describe. Like you’re wearing glasses with vaseline smeared onto the lenses.

I still think reprojection is the way to go for some circumstances. Or maybe it’s the only way to go for some people. But I think I’ll be flying with it off most of the time.

3 Likes

This is the route I’ve always taken with simulators in general because this allows me to get the highest res. and no artifacts. You can read the many reports on this forum saying “how could you fly without” and some early readers found out it was not so bad without afterall.

Since then I’ve been trying reprojection with the G2 and when I initially went into this, I was a little bit like you: something felt “odd” about the visuals. Sure they were smooth and fluid, but it gave me the same impression I don’t like “sports mode” on the TV. I don’t whether it is because I’m not using to gamin at 240hz, or whether I’m so accustomed to lower than 60hz with simulators in 2D.

Nevertheless, in finding the right settings making this working, and eventually in using the right aircraft minimizing the wobbling (K350, Jets, Airliners are good with reproj.), and after flying a few hours with reproj. it is quite good with the G2/WMR (much better than with the Index/SteamVR), but I’ve to sacrifice a little bit of resolution for this to run.

A few days ago I’ve decided to revert to non-reproj with the A320 and sure enough there is juddering back, which I was accustomed to but not as much now. I believe it will take me flying a few hours without reproj. and I’ll get accustomed to it again.

1 Like

Yeah, as with… many things, there is no simple, correct answer. Obviously, running MSFS cranked to ultra with FPS locked to HMD refresh rate is the ideal. (btw, when do we get VRR headsets?) But in the meantime, we have to compromise. And maybe that choice just depends on that day’s mood. I’m glad you’re getting better results from reprojection. Have you tried that bush trip btw??

1 Like

No, I haven’t done any yet actually, I just tried the LFMN and LFPG landing challenges (the later in VR only)

I’m not certain VRR for VR will work as good as for 2D (let alone the awful acronym VRVRR or VVRRR) because of the need for reprojection to compensate the render-to-photon delay, but I’m not expert either.

I just love this thread.

I personally still enjoy the repro. I agree though, it looks a bit smudged in comparison to the clarity you get having it off. I move my head a lot all the time scanning for traffic getting my bearings and enjoying the scenery. The juddering is bad for me
since I can t seem to stay in one place :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@CptLucky8 , I am running MSFS on a WMR headset (Samsung Odyssey), using SteamVR for OpenXR runtime so I can use OVR Toolkit for overlays.
With this combination, do you know what drives the render resolution outside MSFS? i.e. does the slider in the SteamVR settings handle that? I have OpenXR Dev Tools for WMR installed as well, if that makes a difference.