My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestions (Index - SteamVR) šŸŸ¢

Did you do this in the Oculus Debug Tool?

What specifically did you change to get SS to 220%? Is it ā€˜Pixels Per Display Pixel Overrideā€™?

I also assume thatā€™s a multiplier? What exactly do you set it toā€¦ 2.2? Or do you just put 220?

Also, where exactly is everyone changing their TAA - wouldnā€™t it always default to 100%?

And last question - do you have your Oculus settings under devices set as ā€œPrioritize Performanceā€ or ā€œPrioritize Qualityā€? (the former will lower the resolution)

Guys,

Look what Iā€™ve just found!
In SteamVR environment (it does not happen in OpenXR), there is a huge jump in frames and smoothness when you actually point your mouse cursor over the toolbar toggle! 3D mouse is turning into 2D cursor and BAM, big jump in FPS! No jitters when looking around the cockpit!
I mean WHAT THE HELL?
It looks like during the flight, the 3D cursor is actually interacting somehow with head movements causing lots of stutters!
Is it only me or someone can confirm the same behaviour?

Thanks

2 Likes

No change on my setup. Downtown Tokyo, fairly consistent frametime on both GPU and CPU sides.

Note how smooth my CPU frametime is, but this only happens with 120Hz refresh mode. If I set my Index refresh rate to anything else it would pretty much ā– ā– ā– ā–  out.

1 Like

Thank you!
So there must be something wrong with my systemā€¦
Anyway in G2, with OpenXR and steady 30fps it looks like this:
Absolutely incredible!

Radek

Do you mind elaborating what is wrong? The videos are really smooth and apart a few scenery loading stuttering there seems nothing wrong, except Iā€™d set the Gauge Refresh HIGH and youā€™re making me envious for a 3070/80ā€¦ :joy:

Just to make sure: these are shot with the G2 using WMR OpenXR (not SteamVR) with Experimental OXR (v105) or current (v104)? With motion reprojection Auto or Always On?

Hi guys!
So, this is my result with HP Reverb G2.
30-36 FPS locked to 30 with RIVA Tuner (it removes most of jiggering in the cockpit) (( Sometimes donā€™t have constant 30 frames at Orbx Wiena or Dulles but with 90TAA that problem is also solved))
Driver: 446.14
100TAA OpenXR50
Terrain LOD 100, clouds high, 16Xaniso, textures ultra, windshiled ultra, rest on medium.

i9 9900 @5.2, 32Gb @3400Mhz, Nvme 512 Adata, MST 2080Super @1980 / 8900

1 Like

I was refering to my previous post. In SteamVR env. I discovered some weird issues with 3D mouse pointer.
Anyway, Iā€™ve now stopped playing with SteamVR as Iā€™m pretty sure the OpenXR is the right path to follow:)
Here are my current OpenXR settings:

Nvidia CPL settings acc. to your recomendations.

Iā€™m pretty sure that in case of GA I can bump up that gauge refresh rate.
With FBW A320 it is definitelly harder to achieve steady 30fps. It deeps down to 26-27 on the ground depends on location and weather. Heavy clouds will have an obvious impact on that. Anyway it is still very playable.

2 Likes

Man, these are pretty amazing results with 2080S!
If I only could OC my 5600X up to 5.2Ghzā€¦Even with that new architecture, I think that might be the botteneck as I can only get up to 4.7Ghz all cores.

I just tried this and can confirm a noticeable difference in frames.

I disabled ā€œEnhance pointer precisionā€ in Mouse Control Panel and it seemed to even out the framerates.

It may have even helped in Flat Screen mode

2 Likes

Thank you for the additional details. TAA80+SS60 is one of the 3 settings Iā€™m retaining for my upcoming G2 recommendation topic. It is interesting my OXR ā€œAboutā€ box is not displaying at the same location?! (mine is upper/right).

Looking at your settings, those youā€™ve set lower than my Index recommendation is wasted GPU possibility on the 2070S and you have more room with the 3070. Iā€™ve spent countless hours validating up to what level and with which combinations to make sure my ā€œnon negotiableā€ ones are set to a minimum acceptable level while others have marginal impact whether low or high. In particular, you might want to change a few and compare (and let me know!): Aniso 8x (min req.) / Tex Synth. MED / Waves MED / Terr. Shadows 256 / Windshield HIGH. I believe you might even raise Shadow Maps to 1536 with the 3070 and donā€™t feel the difference.

It you have ample CPU avail you might really want to compare Glass Ref. Rate. to HIIGH as this eliminates stuttering induced by the EFIS (at additional CPU and GPU cost though) and if you do, you might want to lower clouds to MED or HIGH then. This could be the tradeoff in your overall settings you can balance whether flying GA or Airliner for example.

NB: Clouds impact depends only on the volumetric clouds level of detail, not if they are visible, in most cases. This is because their voxels are computed whether there is something visible or not in any case (unlike what you might be used to with FSX or XP11). It is possible when set to ULTRA there are additional computations only if they are visible but at MED and even HIGH I donā€™t see any difference in fps whether for example selecting clear sky or scattered clouds preset!

PS: Iā€™ve forgotten to ask you: donā€™t you see any deformation when turning your head left to right? It does pincushion distortion with my system if using any OXR Reproj. settings and Scale between 50 and 60 included with OXR Preview (v105). Besides, if you disable OXR Reproj. you might immediately notice much sharper and more detailed image in the headset.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve figured out where to super-sample (within the Oculus Debug Tool in my case).

Where are you setting your TA?

In the VR graphics settings in MSFS. He means ā€œrender scaleā€ setting with TAA as the antialiasing option.

1 Like

Ah thank you - I was so confused. Now I just need to make sure putting ā€œ2.2ā€ in as the oculus SS (Pixels Per Display Pixel Override) = 220% :sweat_smile:

May end up rewriting a guide just for the Rift and Rift S if so since this was a little confusing and Iā€™m not absolutely incompetent when it comes to hardware/software.

After a few hours testing this ā€œindexā€ settings on a 3070, I can say that in my G2 the result is pretty nice and sharp (much more than with my own tweaks). So big thanks for that.

My only concern is that I get horrendous framerate drop (like going from 30 to 5) every 30-40 seconds, constantly breaking all the immersion.

This issue looks more like an Nvidia driver issue tho. Iā€™ll now investigate this.

1 Like

@CD8TLympho1818 Thank you for your kind words!

The G2 article is in preparation (Iā€™m doing a few more tests)

but in the meantime Iā€™ve just posted this which might further guide you for the G2 and the NVidia driver (just ignore 446.16 because you have a 30XX) [edited: old link removed]

[update] the full settings and suggestion article for the Reverb G2 is now available here:

My 2070 SUPER VR settings and suggestion (Reverb G2 - WMR)

1 Like

Guys,

There is definitelly something wrong with this 3D mouse cursor.
Even in OpenXR it eats my resourcesā€¦As soon as I hover over the toolbar toggle, the fps jumps up.
Just look at this:

It is directly connected to GPU utilization which is only 65% with 3D cursor and 95% when hovering over the toolbar!

I tested this earlierā€¦ did not see any improvement unfortunately :pensive:

Would love to see exactly what you followedā€¦ Iā€™ve got the same PC except Iā€™m running a 3080 with a Rift S and am having pretty low FPS. Copied his VR graphics settings 1:1 in MSFS, and am running 2.2 (220%) in the Oculus Debug Tool with the ingame at TAA 60 (his preferred option).

Is that what youā€™re running? My overlay shows only 20 to 30FPS with that dependingā€¦

@Radeks40 Are you using any mod? One which is ā€œalteringā€ the toolbar? I canā€™t see any such difference on my test system (Iā€™ll retry right away to make sure with a different aircraft). However I can see when youā€™re hovering there is a change between CoherantGT and Manipulators. The former is responsible for drawing the UI (and maybe the EFIS) whereas the later is the thread I believe handling the interactions with the cockpit. If youā€™re hovering the toolbar it is possible the simulator is no longer checking whether the mouse is potentially over a cockpit manipulator and therefore it is saving checking collisions every frame.

@CD8TLympho1818 are you also trying with the A320?

UPDATE: I confirm I can see this with the B787 but not with the A320 (Iā€™ve to redo a test with this one to confirm), and the most likely explanation to me is the one Iā€™ve given (well this is self-delusion also :upside_down_face: )

Nope, never tried any liner in the game yet.