Need help with CTD

I have followed ALL the advice to resolve the issues with CTD’s. Removing all downloads in the community folder, et, et. What more can I do? The MS Win10 ‘Event Viewer’ is showing MS FS2020 as ‘Faulting Application’? I have NO other problems with Win10, any other app, sim or game on my PC. Very fast PC i9-11900K, 32GB Ram, RTX3090, Gen4 2TB SSD, Quest 2 VR, Ultra Fast Broadband. What is the problem Microsoft and Asobo, because I can not find the solution? I can supply PC CTD information. This is a last ditch effort, before I remove FS2020 from my PC. All I am asking is help, PLEASE.

Have you tried turning off rolling cache? I did this a few weeks ago and my in-flight CTDs disappeared completely. I turned it back on for a day and I got an in-flight CTD within 30 minutes, so it’s back off again and has been working fine ever since.

Thank you for reply. Yes, I have turned rolling cache off. Still CTD. I will reply with thanks, for any advice. However, I have an appointment shortly so unable to reply until a few hours later.

Lots of question for you!!
How long is the sim session been running when this happens?
Does it only happen using VR, or when running in regular mode?
Could you post the error code?
What version of drivers are you using?
Any MSStore addons?
Have you tried emptying the Windows 10 Directx cache?

I’m back. Thank you . To answer your questions best I can:-
Sim CTD a few Mins to about 10mins (In flight only)

Happens in both Monitor and VR mode. Not sure what regular mode is, but when I re-start FS2020 a dialog box comes up warning of CTD and option to start in Safe or Regular mode. I choose Regular.

The error code (event viewer) is a huge list. I have saved in a text file under heading FS2020 Application Error. I can copy part of error code on a separate post, but not sure if it will all fit on? The timeing corresponds to the CTD.

The GeForce drivers are v.511.23 14/01/2022 Very Latest.

No MSStore addons. FS2020 is the only MS Store Game/Sim.

I have now emptied Win10 DirectX cache.

Too add:- Community Folder has been emptied (Downloads copied to another folder outside FS2020)
Rolling Cache is OFF.

I will start FS2020 to see if the Win10 Direct Cache has made any difference, but not until tomorrow morning (Thursday), as I have to spend time cooking with my family, et. Thanks again

The pop-up for Safe or Regular will be displayed the next start up after the sim experiences a CTD.
The only difference is that the sim will not load the community folder in safe mode, as a lot of CTD’s are from 3rd party content.
Family cooking is good!! :grinning:

You might want to check to see your hardware peripherals. Check to see if they are having interrupt issues with any USB connected devices you might have connected to your system. Use Device Manager to check for hardware issues. Last, check your event viewer for issues.

Try HAGS off in windows settings,
then, in my case (I still don’t understand why) AI and RealWheather cause CDT
I no longer had a problem, without these

I suspect VCRUNTIME140.dll is corrupted. MOVE it to your desktop. It is in C:/Windows/System32.
Goto MS website, download C++2015 both 32- and 64-bit versions. Delete C++2015 from system both versions and then restart.
Windows will toss out errors but will load, install new version C++2015 again, it will create new VCRUNTIME140.dll and the CTD should go away.

That file is used by a multitude of programs inside Windows, and get written too lots, it get corrupted from something, and causes sim to CTD for a variety of reasons. This should fix error for you.

However, this issue only started showing up since the beta SU8??? was made mandatory update couple weeks ago, so not sure, what is causing it. Several folks have reported this issue.

Good Luck.

I had a very quick flight just now and FS2020 CTD again. I must go offline in a few mins, can not spend any more time, until 2moro morn. The clock is ticking very close to me removing FS2020 from my PC, I am running out of endurance for this nightmare! Catch you again Thursday.

1 Like

If this file is being written to there is something very wrong with your computer. It is a link library and should never be altered by any program. That would be insane

2 Likes

If it is indeed being written to and altered – you most likely have a VIRUS…

Now your fun starts !!!

If programs do use the file, then stop using it and it goes back to location, something breaks it. I do not have virus, but that file got messed up, replacing it fixed the issue, now you tell me what happened. I just know replacing it with new file fixed issues.

power supply?

:beers:

If it was a dodgy PSU it would not just CTD it would power off the PC aswell.

I had this issue not so long ago

Thanks. No PSU Probs. (Corsair 900w) If it was, it would happen with other intensive Apps, Games & Sims. I know when the CPU & GPU are working hard as the fan speed increases. I could be playing on other intensive games and sims for hours with no problem. And besides, a PSU failure would shut the PC down. This ONLY happens in FS2020 and is a CTD, not a PC shutdown.

1 Like

Thanks. No PSU problem on my Corsair 900w. See reply below.

Thanks. If it is a virus, then I would think that other games & sims would be affected? I use BitDefender which is one of the best Virus Checkers. No viruses detected and I have done full scans. Bitdefender does not interfere with any of my games, sims & apps.

Thanks. There are no USB conflicts showing in device manager or event viewer.

Thanks. I do have a very good virus checker BitDefender, and I run fairly regular scans for any corrupted files, no problems found. If this VCRUNTIME140.dll is corrupted and is not detected by the virus checker, then I would suggest it would affect other graphics intensive games, but they run quite happily and smoothly for hours. FS2020 is the only sim/game that CTD.