Need help with Unreal Weather-Live METAR

According to the install install instructions here: https://unrealweather.blogspot.com/

I should replace two files: WeatherEditionMenu.html and WeatherEditionMenu.js and make a backup of these two of course. But this is impossible, because I can´t get acess to it. No matter what I try.

Can somebody here point me in the right direction please

1 Like

That is odd, I guess, WindowsApps folder requires extra privileges.

Try to make a new shortcut on your desktop and point it to “explorer”. Then right-click it and choose “Run as administrator”. Does that work at least?

Also, when renaming files, keep the original extensions, too, such as “.html” to “.html.bak”, otherwise you’ll forget what it was before. In you case, it is better to save the originals in some other folder anyway.

I can not move, delete, copy or change anything. It says access denied, I tried to change permissions and still can not do it even as an administrator… I am honestly out of ideas here…

Yes, same for me, no way to change this files and folders permissions. How did you get it Duesen?

I have a Steam copy, so no protected folders in my case.

Yup, tested with full rights : you cannot edit or modify any element from the windowsapp folder as far as I’m concerned. Live store version.

Would it be possible to replicate the hierarchy in the “Community” folder ??

Boot into Linux using a live disk and then do it via the terminal using the rename command. I have had some success in the past with this.

so is this basically what REX weatherforce is selling, but for free?

Yes if you bought it from MS Store you dont have access to the core files. You can grant yourself access however.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-a-folder-that-is-completely-locked/0f88b638-453c-4967-a602-ecea88f1c780

That link will help you unlock access. However if you check your folder where your community folder is there is a folder next to it called OneStore. Most of the editable files are there.

It is not about the “OneStore” folder but about the “WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe” folder (in my case, cause it is not installed on C:/) where you need to edit/ modify files in order to get that mod working right now. Read the above before answering :wink:

does not give any answer to help with the problem

I am looking at it now. Seems like a nice add on if it can work.

that is the key… if it just could work…

Ok I read through the instructions. For me all the folders I needed aside from the folder in the APPData was in the Official/OneStore folder which is in the same place as your community folder.

Ok the folders you need are in the OneStore folder for MS Store users. It is different for Steam users. Just look for the folders in the OneStore folder as you installation folder. Even the file you need to play in the AppData folder goes into a folder in the OneStore folder.

I just installed it that way and it is working perfectly.

Perhaps some people prefer to buy payware addons instead of getting freeware or waiting a little until such freeware is available for FS2020. :rofl:

@VeryOldPilot I am personally waiting on Active Sky to come out with something. Been using their stuff since FS2004 and love it. I just installed this to help the poster out trying to install it.

Good for you. Buy what you want. Hope you get a discount because you already have a subscription for another sim, if that applies.
I also hope Asobo does not open up the app for 3rd party weather devs. I am fairly sure that Asobo can and will offer enough weather features.

I think I’m missing something, the onestore folder doesn’t have the files.
Could you show the path inside the onestore folder please

I do not see the files nor even the path to them in the OneStore folder. They are indeed in my “H:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.8.3.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Packages\fs-base-ui\html_ui\Templates\WeatherEditionMenu” path. Please explain further ?