New Interview with Jorg on MSFS 40th Anniversary And More

yeah, and according to last week’s dev q&a, it should start soon. Hopefully we’ll get an update tonight during today’s dev blog. (edited)

1 Like

dev q&a???

what q&a?

where was it annonced?

are you talking about the weekly Dev’s blog?

yes, sorry – today’s dev blog is what I meant. Was multi-tasking, whoops!

1 Like

unfortunately, there are no more informations about sim update 10 beta in today’s dev blog

1 Like

I like how they pretend they’re in DC but Chantilly/Udvar Hazy is about 45 minutes away in Virginia.

Call me nuts, but I would absolutely love a “driving sim” from the Forza guys in the vein of MSFS.

Just to clarify, Asobo won’t be implementing weather radar per say, but terrain and weather data via WASM.

It’s still the plane developers’ job to create weather radar based on that data.

Also, we don’t know what kind of weather data are they supposed to feed through WASM.
The basic weather radar we already have in default planes is, well, basic.

For example - to be able to implement predictive windshear, turbulence areas etc. we’ll need not only precip, but wind speed and direction data as well.

By the way, if I recall correctly, FBW’s A32NX needs those data to be fed through JS, not WASM.

2 Likes

I heard something about bitmaps of weather? What does that mean?

They probably meant bitmaps of precipitation data. Which is exactly the thing that doesn’t make me optimistic at all.
It’d mean that 3rd party devs would have access to that data, but all they could do with it is just paint a lousy low-quality picture of precipitation, that’s all.

1 Like

I hope it can be bitmaps of wind-data as
well. I’m not optimistic either.

Better than nothing.

But it’s 2022. Feels like they could simulate weather-radar more realistic than that. But to me it would be more important to simulate the actual weather condition propperly. Then we would actually need the radar to avoid those dangerous conditions.

Why do we need radar IRL?

Like @Perrry said

Alright, so a basic weather radar is better than nothing. But we still need to have some challenge in terms of severe weather otherwise the weather radar is useless. You can see distant precipitation yourself, you don’t need weather radar for that.

In order for the weather radar to be useful, we need convective turbulence for example. You’d see a purple radar return along with a cumulonimbus cloud ahead and you’d know that’s something you have to avoid.
Right now there’s no Cb clouds and no convective turbulence as well.

1 Like

Why do pilots need radar? Seriously?

I guess my point is adding this data back to 3rd parties so they can re-implement it in our planes is better than what we currently have, which is nothing.

Of course turbulence and severe weather needs improvement. But that still doesn’t negate we need radar. My 2 cents.

The data is still there. A32NX’s stable version still has the weather radar operational if I’m not mistaken.
Developer and experimental version, and Fenix’s A320 doesn’t have the weather radar because they’re waiting for better quality data. Which may not come, that’s my point.

I think you’ve misunderstood perrry’s comment, he’s not asking literally.

Exactly, we all know it’s needed to plan for different dangerous weather conditions. And those are not in the sim.

Well, we will soon have something to look at while flying. Needs to pretend it’s dangerous.

I hope we will see both soon. I know simulate dangerous conditions propperly is more complex i bet.

1 Like

This is about giving the 3rd parties APIs to the weather and terrain data, the bitmaps are what we have now for terrain data.

Multi monitor support is like the single most important new feature I am waiting for.

If we would get that plus platform stability plus reduced stutters, I would be a happy camper.

1 Like