New Nvidia 497.09 Always CTD

You know you touched upon an important detail.
Have you noticed how brutal it is to the primary CPU cores?

Then came the offscreen pre-caching…cool…I’ve set it at ULTRA and forgot about it.
If some of you with the latest Ryzens, Core i’s, Radeon’s and GeForce’s like me have time - try setting the offscreen terrain precaching back to MEDIUM. Limit the framerate at something appropriate like 48-60fps and not a 30fps slideshow (unless you own GSYNC). Now look around with the camera wherever you are.
Monitor your CPU cores usage and temps as you do it.

[tl&dr]
Now even precaching set at ULTRA stutters again if you put terrain LOD above 200 because those
500MB at ULTRA precaching is not enough for terrain LOD like 250 and beyond. Even abiding to the
latest LOD rules it’s simply not enough and the sim hits the CPU bottleneck izi-pizy. Yes, they use VRAM
for offscreen precaching.

This is an amazing, astonishing, shockingly beautiful and ideal opportunity to implement and showcase
the true power of ReBAR in combination with the DirectStorage on Windows 11. Hopefully the SU9.

I always advice to read the patch notes before installing new drivers.

If my MSFS is running fine, if my other games are running fine…why upgrade?

…and this is where the patch notes come in. If you check these and see that the latest driver will benefit some of your installed games then yea go for it :slight_smile:

The good thing is that if you download an unstable driver its easy to roll back!

Visit the overlay and in Performance - press Auto tune, with no games running. Will take about 10 mins. When completed, turn auto tune “off”

That should solve your ctd and stuttering issue

I meant computer system specs which I listed in my first post about 5 posts up, sorry (also people who don’t read the thread but join in the middle with same questions lol).
My Nvidia, WMR and in-game settings are another story. After someone who perhaps has a similar system, may ask for this additional information to help them. Vsync Gsync?

Windows 10/11 Issues

⦁ [Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition]: After attempting to change resolutions, the resolution
does not change and the game falls out of IFlip mode. [3442862]
To apply the new resolution, press Alt+Tab.
⦁ [Supreme Command:Forged Alliance/Supreme Commander 2]: Performance drop when
there is mouse movement. [3405920]
⦁ [Deathloop][HDR]: TDR/corruption occurs in the game with Windows HDR enabled.
If this issue occurs, toggle the Windows HDR setting.
⦁ Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed may crash on courses where players drive through
water. [3338967]
⦁ In multi-monitor configurations, the screen may display random black screen flicker.
[3405228]
⦁ [HDR][G-Sync]: Mouse pointer gets stuck after turning on HDR from the Windows Control
Panel or after toggling G-Sync from the NVIDIA control panel. [200762998]
To work around, click the mouse (right or left button). The mouse cursor will be sluggish for a few
seconds before returning to normal operation.
⦁ [NVIDIA Advanced Optimus][NVIDIA Control Panel]: After setting the display multiplexer type
to “dGPU”, the setting is not preserved across a reboot or resume from S4. [200779758]
⦁ [NVIDIA Image Scaling][Desktop]: The screen moves to the upper left corner on cold boot
when Image Scaling is applied to the desktop. [3424721]
Do not apply NVIDIA Image Scaling to the desktop. It is intended only for video upscaling or for
games which do not run with a scaling resolution unless the same Image Scaling resolution is
applied on the desktop.
⦁ [NVIDIA Image Scaling][DirectX 11 video apps]: With Image Scaling enabled, video playback is
corrupted or results in a system hang after performing an HDR transition. [3431284]
Note: You may encounter issues installing the NVIDIA Control Panel
from the Windows Store. See “Issues Installing the NVIDIA Control Panel
from the Windows Store” on page 17 for more information.

Release 495 Driver for Windows, Version 497.09 RN-08399-497-09_v01 | 9
Open Issues in Version 497.09 WHQL

If HDR is required to be toggled from the Microsoft Control Panel, be sure to switch to a different
Image Scaling resolution.

Updated Open Issues in version 497.09

• [Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition]: After attempting to change resolutions, the resolution does not change and the game falls out of IFlip mode. [3442862] To apply the new resolution, press Alt+Tab.
  • [Supreme Command:Forged Alliance/Supreme Commander 2]: Performance drop when there is mouse movement. [3405920]
  • [Deathloop][HDR]: TDR/corruption occurs in the game with Windows HDR enabled. If this issue occurs, toggle the Windows HDR setting.
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed may crash on courses where players drive through water. [3338967]
  • In multi-monitor configurations, the screen may display random black screen flicker. [3405228]
  • [HDR][G-Sync]: Mouse pointer gets stuck after turning on HDR from the Windows Control Panel or after toggling G-Sync from the NVIDIA control panel. [200762998] To work around, click the mouse (right or left button). The mouse cursor will be sluggish for a few seconds before returning to normal operation.
  • [NVIDIA Advanced Optimus][NVIDIA Control Panel]: After setting the display multiplexer type to “dGPU”, the setting is not preserved across a reboot or resume from S4. [200779758]
  • [NVIDIA Image Scaling][Desktop]: The screen moves to the upper left corner on cold boot when Image Scaling is applied to the desktop. [3424721] Do not apply NVIDIA Image Scaling to the desktop. It is intended only for video upscaling or for games which do not run with a scaling resolution unless the same Image Scaling resolution is applied on the desktop.
  • [NVIDIA Image Scaling][DirectX 11 video apps]: With Image Scaling enabled, video playback is corrupted or results in a system hang after performing an HDR transition. [3431284]
  • [DX11]Microsoft Flight Simulator may crash to desktop during gameplay [3454519]
  • [DX11]Microsoft Flight Simulator may intermittently display purple artifacts on the ground textures [3454530]

FYI and workaround.

Nvidia Hotfix Driver 496.98 works without any problems.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5281

4 Likes

Sweet, this driver with limited testing is #$()@#$%@%(*@ gold for me, if everyone else can see what I saw WAY better.

I am running a 2080 super on W10… downloaded 497.09 yesterday and get blue tiles along with freeze/CTD every flight now. Have not gotten a single CTD since I purchased the sim up to this point… any update on when this is going to be fixed/addressed?

2 Likes

Yes? I’d like to know what’s your experience, what did you find out ?

Looks like this, and after few minutes, WHAM! CTD!

2 Likes

I’ve the exact same issue. No matter what I do, I cannot get the sim to stay on for any longer than 5 minutes. Most of the time it doesn’t get that far, I press ‘fly’ and it will load for a bit then CTD. Very frustrated. The only thing I have done is update the NVIDEA Driver…

Comforting to know I’m not the only one having this issue. Unfortunately, I’m a bit of an novice with the internal workings of a PC so no good at finding ‘workarounds’ haha.

497.09 have been amazing for me, no issues at all. Significant performance gain in VR.

3080TI 9900K 32GB WIN10

2 Likes

Are you using DX11 or DX12? I tried both this morning and both flights were fine. Not sure which I prefer.

After reading other’s experiences here, I decided this morning to try one of the options and see how it worked. My system is Ryzen 5600G, 16 GB DDR4-3200, RTX3060. When first downloading SU7, I tried DX12 and it was just a jerky experience, so I went back to DX11. Today, I downloaded the nVidia 497.09 drivers and changed MSFS2020 back to DX12. I did a complete computer restart and opened MSFS2020. While there was a decrease in FRs (about 15%) there was no CTD and the experience was generally smooth - with a few stutters (which seemed to decrease as I “flew”). The only difference I noticed in Task Manager was usage of “Shared Memory Usage”, which I searched and found that it was not a problem. So for now, I am “flying” with the above settings and experiencing pretty good performance. EDIT: I have tried several flights with no degradation of performance. FRs average mid 50s.

Good to know, but when you mention frame rates you should always accompany it with your resolution, graphical settings and scenario. Else it’s pointless. I can have anything from 1 to 200 (or more) fps depending on how I configure the game and what, where and when I fly.

True. I allow the “set to default” to set all my graphic settings and it sets almost everything to Ultra. I then go in and turn off VSYNC and it’s related caps. My nVidia Control Panel settings cap my frames at 75 to keep the startup sequence from running at above 1000 FPS. Also, I set the performance levels at max while there and leave everything else at default. My LG Ultrawide resolution is 2560x1080. Is anything else needed?

I have the same issue. Can’t even load into a flight with or without mods. Especially with live weather getting crashes. I’ve just rolled back to the previous driver and am going to try again with all my mods installed. Will keep you posted.

Go back to the older driver

Guys although I have no issue whatsoever with this new driver, I always keep the old drivers in case. I download the new drivers first and keep the old one.

What version of driver do you recommend?