New Nvidia Driver 461.40

YMMV. Continuing my “What Me Worry?!” philosophy, I upgraded to 461.40 just using the GeForce Experience method with the “Custom Installation” and updating whatever GFE wanted to replace. I have experienced no CTD’s and I’d say if anything the performance might be a little better than with 461.09. I did NOT uninstall and reinstall MSFS 2020 in the Windows Store per MSFSRonS’s suggestion, and no DDU’ing anything.

I’m basically running most of CptLucky8’s G2 recommendations except flying out in the country (Mann Gulch, MT and Machu Picchu, Peru, etc.). With a GA like the Cessna 152, Icon A5, or Zlin Shock Ultra, I can push 100% TAA rendering with 4x4 Texture Supersampling and High Texture Synthesis. I’m doing 100% OXR scaling and turning off Automatic Reprojection. IMHO, whatever little jerkiness I get is more than made up for by the quality of VR scenery. If I try flying something like a TBM 950 over Hong Kong, YIKES! I have to downgrade to 60% TAA or so as CptLucky8 recommends. My reading of the January, 2021 Nvidia security bulletin is that 452.30 doesn’t have the latest security fixes so I’m happy to be on 461.09 or higher.

Maybe things will change but since Asobo says it’s concentrating its VR efforts so far on the HP G1 and G2 and the Samsung Odyssey+ and I don’t run MSFS under Steam, I’m happy with my G2 and willing to see what happens and will save up my pennies for the RTX 5090 (Super!) …

Just to provide a relative idea of where performance is at for me with the above settings, if I go with 60% TAA and everything else the same as above, according to the OXR frame rate display, I get over 33 fps flying around Machu Picchu in the Zlin Shock Ultra, about 29 fps at 70% TAA, about 25 fps at 80% TAA, 20 fps at 100% TAA. Flying the IconA5 around Mann Gulch, MT, the figures for 60%,70%,80%, and 100% TAA are 30, 24, 19, 13 fps, respectively. But the scenery looks great to me in a Reverb G2. I have my rolling cache turned on (I’ve read the opinions on that) and perhaps I get a few extra fps when I turn off the OXR framerate display as I do except for testing comparisons.

My machine is a prebuilt Dell XPS 8930 Special Edition, nothing overclocked by me, i9-9900K, 32 Gb 2666 MHz RAM, RTX 2070S, 1 Tb non-system 970 EVO Plus. HAGAS is off. Win system performance is set to max so it’s running at 4.7 GHz on all cores. To try a different % TAA rendering, I’d hit escape, go to Options, General, Graphics, move the slider, Apply & Save, Go Back, Restart the same spawned-in-the-air .FLT. I was doing a slow bank as I looked down at scenery 1,000 ft away and down or so and traveling at 80 to 100 knots. So higher altitude flights with more distant scenery might be even better.

P.S. Now I’ve decided to take a further framerate hit and am also running on HIGH ambient occlusion only on small, slow-flying GA aircraft out in the countryside, e.g., Cessna 152, Icon A5, Zlin Shock Ultra. I like the enhanced realism in VR. See link below for further discussion about ambient occlusion and its relative cost.

1 Like