New Nvidia Studio Drivers (not Game-Ready) have dropped! 517.40

I can report a 15-20% increase of fps with new 517.40 studio driver - amazing. Even in DX 12
In SDK I don´t get anymore the message main thread limited but GPU limited at around 100fps.

5 Likes

Main thread times dropped by around 40% in my case from 11-12 ms to 6-7ms on average. :+1:

Additionally DX11 and DX12 delivers now same performance in my case at a first glance.

1 Like

I got an increase from 70/71 fps to 99/100 fps on average taking into account both, SU 10 beta and driver 517.40.
An impressive increase of around 40% :clap:

2 Likes

that all sounds too good to be true… if so, theyve done a great job! cant wait to fire up su10 later…

I used to make such posts before after a flight or two. Now I simply don’t as with my experience the next day or simply without any reason the performance gains are simply vanished…

3 Likes

Which hardware? =)

did you install the game ready or studio version of the new driver ?

Is the game ready driver out yet?

I assume not yet, interesting that simmers do install studio versions and keep reporting they get great results, i’ve never done so, tho. seems like not any conflicts occur with a studio version basically aimed for designers and visual artists.

1 Like

Maybe they play games too? :grin:

Fantastic Clouds all of a sudden with the Studio Driver !!! :stuck_out_tongue: (joke)

1 Like

Usually if I remember, the nvidia drivers release after the msfs updates in the past . That was on Tuesdays of course. Hope I’m right . We shall see I guess

I keep my fingers crossed - only checked one flight in New York so far.

I saw only the studio driver so far.

I don’t think it matters. Nvidia typically add support for the latest games in their GRD, but in this instance the XP12 fix is in the SD, so you may as well install that if MSFS is your primary concern.

For those doubting the difference, here is what Nvidia themselves have to say about it:

Download The Latest Official GeForce Drivers.

If you are a gamer who prioritizes day of launch support for the latest games, patches, and DLCs, choose Game Ready Drivers. If you are a content creator who prioritizes reliability for creative workflows including video editing, animation, photography, graphic design, and livestreaming, choose Studio Drivers.

If your only concern is about SU10 XP12 support, just install the SD today. There will be no difference, but its possible the the GRD may have other game support included as well.

When I get home I will be running some benchmarks with the SD.

As each minute passes, I get less convinced that a Game Ready driver will be released in time for the SU10 launch

1 Like

I can’t see it happening. Then I bet Asobo will not have put the VRAM optimisation in the build because without the driver it causes trees in the sky, and then without this optimisation DX12 will still be unusable and the whole thing a complete waste.

1 Like

12700k, 3080 OC, 32 GB RAM

But the SD does have that fix. It’s in its release notes. Unless there are two DX12 rendering issues.

@hobanagerik If there is no game ready driver, which is what the vast majority of people use, I reckon Asobo will have left the optimisation out of the build. But just my guess of course.