New Release: Carenado Cessna C170B

It surely looks beautiful but I’m not really convinced by Carenado’s taildragger. What we have currently is hardly controlable on the ground.

2 Likes

The Bird Dog was developed from it.

3 Likes

If the quality of Carenado’s planes is representative of what we get from “porting”, then I’m okay with “porting”. Can you point to flaws in the model & textures from their planes that are carried over from past sims?

5 Likes

I’m simply saying that almost all releases so far were already released on a previous platform. I look forward to the time when a new release will be a plane that we didn’t already fly in XP, or P3D. I’m not talking about quality, just porting models.

I’ll let you spend your time finding one unique one, hence my “almost all” above. :wink:

When we see Carenado release a plane that is unique to MSFS, that will be an interesting time.

1 Like

I would so love the 421! I miss the one Flight1 did for FS2002.

Totally agreed, the EMB-120 or Saab 340 would be the perfect next step after NextGen’s EMB-110 Bandeirante. So far the only pressurized turboprops in MSFS are the default TBM and King Air.

4 Likes

The PC12 would be a nice alternative to the TBM. Carenado already have that for XP, P3D, and FSX, so expect this eventually. It looks like Flight1 made it also.

3 Likes

Based on the dates listed on wikipedia, that may be the other way round when talking about the C170B.

According to those the original C170 (1948) was developed into the O-1 Bird Dog (1950) which then influenced the design of the C170B (1952).

Too close to the Freeware C172 Taildagger.
They have so many planes to choose from. I really don’t get why the chose this.

How about something a little less ordinary like the Aero Commander, or the C337 Skymaster or the Beech 18 …?

3 Likes

Because already made it…twice. :wink:

But there are more interesting planes in their back catalog to bring over. I wouldn’t mind the 690B, for example.

1 Like

That’s I guess my biggest gripe - they have such an extensive catalogue of aircraft to work with from their past lineup - they have Beech 18, Short S60, PC-12, Aero Commander, Phenom, etc… But they keep doing a lot of Pipers and Cessnas that are already pretty close to what’s out.

6 Likes

Want the 690 so freaking bad… Of the planes my uncle has owned, that’s the one I’ve spent the most time in.

1 Like

I’m sure I’ll get hate but for the love of aviation, we need AIRLINERS – I feel like there’s a new GA like this above every week.

2 Likes

It’s almost as if larger more complex aircraft with more avionics to model and textures to create at higher quality levels take more time to bring to market…

Personally I’m fine with Carenado and others re-releasing a lot of their older aircraft I’ve been away from flight sims for many years since the previous sims had gotten so stagnant, so all of these are new to me. I doubt I’m the only one.

8 Likes

Same, I was away from the FS world for almost a decade and a half, and their list of FSX/P3D releases reads like a wishlist for me. Turbo Commander 690, EMB-120 Brasilia, Cessna 421 Golden Eagle, PC-12, and steam-gauge versions of the King Air and Baron.

4 Likes

Yes that was my point as well. All the planes I suggested where from their catalog

1 Like

It appears to be on the in-sim Marketplace now. Or at least I just noticed it :slight_smile:

I jumped and bought it. It has some bugs, the CHT gauge was pegged and the radio quit 30 minutes into a flight but I am quite surprised at my initial impression. It feels heavy and not too responsive, which makes it feel very realistic. It is smooth and sturdy, perhaps a bit too much, but it feels really good. I would definitely say that it was worth the price paid for it. I very much enjoy flying it and it will be my new favorite for a while!

3 Likes

I have the cht problem as well. Thats the least egregious though. If you fly in VR, when you hit the button to recenter view, it puts you in the back seat. Aircraft is also only about 3 feet wide in vr as well

Was it just the radios or all the electrics? In another thread somebody mentioned killing the battery with the lights.

Yup, same here, oil temp way past the red. VR pilot view puts me in the back seat. Youd think something like that would have been spotted in test. Nice addition to my fleet tho. Those who want airliners only, youd miss all that great scenery at 37000 feet.

1 Like