New release: IRIS Simulations Grob G 115E Tutor T.1

IRIS – Airforce Series – Tutor T.1 [MSFS] – IRIS Simulations

Here you go… According to them, Orbx will get it sometime soon too, which is where I am gonna buy mine, so… gonna have to wait until that shows up for me to do a full review, but it looks good. If anyone buys direct from IRIS, please do share first impressions!

5 Likes

I get the argument that each plane is different, but MAN alive there are a lot of single engine GA props for this sim.

3 Likes

I just bought it from IRIS. Only had one flight in it but first impression is she is a beauty. Handles well and has a good level of detail. Haven’t checked all the cockpit out fully yet bur so far so good as far as I am concerned. A good addition.

4 Likes

Some screenshots in this thread

Maybe a moderator can merge the two threads please.

If I’m not mistaken, this is the first completely German made plane for MSFS right? Not counting licensed planes like the P.149 or the Gina and multinational cooperations like Airbus.

That really took a while :slight_smile:

Nevertheless, the plane offers little that is new. I have no personal connection to it. For me it’s just a slow fixed gear trainer. You could tempt me with a Grob120SP though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nerbulus

“I get the argument that each plane is different, but MAN alive there are a lot of single engine GA props for this sim.”

Yes there are a lot of single engine GA but as a CI with the UK air cadets I am particularly interested in this one. The cadets, when permitted, will have their 1st AEF in the Tutor and I was waiting for this to add to the squadron’s flight simulator.

I’m that old my AEF was in a Chipmunk so I cannot vouch for its accuracy but I spent a couple of hours today flying this in multiplayer with the developer and loved every minute of it and I’m sure any current or ex-cadets that get the chance will love it too.

5 Likes

Iris simulations discord is saying they have sent the files to Orbx so hopefully on Central tomorrow

2 Likes

This aircraft was one of my favourites for earlier generations of the simulator. I reviewed it for several websites, and was always impressed that it was one of the few airplanes that would spin and recover properly. I sincerely hope the new version will do the same thing.

Just like an earlier poster, I was also in the air cadets many years ago in the UK. I also did my flying on the chipmunk, long before the Tutor arrived.

I look forward to getting this aircraft over the weekend.

2 Likes

Just picked this up and had one quick flight in VR, really nicely detailed, engine sounds are good and handling is nice.

One thing I noticed, either some sounds are missing or they just haven’t added them yet -

Canopy opening and closing doesn’t seem to have sound and only switch noise I have is with the engine starter all other switches don’t make any noise although I may need to do further testing with my headset earphones.

Apart from that its a really nice addition and one I will use regularly. Nice price too!

1 Like

It’s a lovely model, flies really well and of course is aerobatic which takes it beyond most of the other GA and it’s at a good price point to boot. Really fun to fly.

3 Likes

This one is a current basic trainer for the RAF and RAAF. So it really needs to be in the sim, even if just to encourage the occasional 15 year old air cadet with aspirations to fly for the RAF/RAAF.

I will definitely be getting it.

5 Likes

Excellent - my dad did his AEF in a Chipmunk and my daughter in a Grob so that’s one down and one to go (looking at you Aeroplane Heaven…).

Sadly I inherited the colour blindness gene so I just hang around simulators instead!

3 Likes

Two bugs I encountered during my first two flights:

1. the landing lights always stay on (outside view) no matter what the switch position is.
  2. After closing the canopy from inside the aircraft the canopy will close again when switching into outside view for the first time.

The fact that you can steer the aircraft only from the right seat is something I have to get used to. And there are aircraft where the pilot’s seat is on the left:

One other thing ---- set the strobe to white - when you set it to red it bleeds through and reflects off the roof.

Bit of a rort to fly though, reminds me of the P149 .

1 Like

No gps in it? Thats pretty much an auto-buy for me

1 Like

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I spy a GPS on the left hand side in some of the screenshots above
But at least it isn’t an overbearing Garmin!

I had the FSX version of this plane and I enjoyed it. I’ll probably end up getting this MSFS one too. I spotted a few mentions of Chipmunks in this thread and that’d be another grand plane to have but I’d also love to see a Bulldog as it’s the only plane I have any real world flying experience in (very limited though!)

Chipmunk… Tutor… What’s in between? The Bulldog, and I am pretty sure we will see that one in MSFS.

My first was in a Chipmunk too. Brakes kept locking while taxiing and the pilot had to keep calling for the ground crew to come and hit them with a hammer to release them.
:grinning:

I get the comments about the number of similar GA in the sim but this Tutor really is enjoyable to fly and so far seems to be good quality.
As for lack of variety well we have a Bleriot, A Nieuport, P40, Spitfire and Corsair, We have the excellent DC6, The G91, T45, MB339A, CRJ. A320NX, F15 and now the F14 just to name a few. For all it’s alleged shortcomings MSFS is not doing too bad with variety given its only 12 month old.

5 Likes

Yep, I think that would complete the set - all we need now is a buy two, get one free offer!

So, there are at least three of us ex Air Cadets on here who flew our first flights in Chipmunks. Do you still have your 3822? Where did you fly, and what year?

I will kick it off.

1971 = 7 AEF at RAF Newton. Chipmunk WK591.
1971 = 7 AEF at RAF Newton. Chipmunk WK604.
1972 = 8 AEF at RAF Shawbury. Chipmunk WG417.
1972 = 7 AEF at RAF Newton. Chipmunk WK640.
1973 = 3 AEF at RAF Weston. Chipmunk WP370.
1973 = 3 AEF at RAF Weston. Chipmunk WP962.
1974 = 6 AEF at RAF Abingdon. Chipmunk WK586.

And, many years later…

1994 = Tilsonburg, Ontario, Canada. Ex RCAF Chipmunk 18064 (C-FBNH).

Maybe former (and current) cadets can share their dates and flight locations for Chipmunk, Bulldog, and Tutor.

And as for MSFS…

Come on Aeroplane Heaven and get the Chipmunk into the sim.
Come on BlackBox Simulations and get the Bulldog into the sim.
And thank you Iris for bringing us the Tutor.

• Kenneth Kerr
    Former 422 (Corby) Sqdn ATC (1970’s)
8 Likes