New release: IRIS Simulations Grob G 115E Tutor T.1

Reading the manual for the real life GPS unit that’s modeled the real thing is capable of quite a lot including low resolution monochrome maps but the implementation in the module is extremely simplistic - functionality all it can do is display some data and drive the CDI on the HSI and one of the modes on the DME display.
Closest parallel would be with the G100 option in the Just Flight Arrow and Warrior but with fewer display options.

2 Likes

The MSFS version is NOT spinning as easily and accurately as the version I tested for large websites in FSX a few years ago. However, we must remember that the MSFS flight dynamics are ever-evolving, whereas previous simulators had long-since stabilized. I’d put my money onto it being an Asobo issue in general right now, instead of an IRIS specific issue. That’s not a certainty, but it is my gut feeling.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:
Their FSX Grob was spinning so realistic because they stole a FDE I had developed for another companies aerobatic aircraft.
For MSFS they apparently had to design a new FDM.
Since even some default MSFS are spinning nicely, I’m pretty sure that this is an IRIS and not an Asobo issue.

3 Likes

Initial observations, very responsive and fun. Sitting in the instructors seat feels odd for me, I have never worked as a flight instructor.

A few things need tweaking (mentioned by various people above) but for me good value for money.

Tried some bush bashing in it. It was semi successful but picked up a few sticks and leaves - I need more practice :smiley:

2 Likes

I actually found the opposite. When it spawned the rudder trim was out and it was not flying straight but setting it back to 0% according to the little wheel at your feet (not animated?) and straight and level was pretty easy.

Yeah it needs calibrating. Fine at straight and level but out by maybe 5 degrees or more in a standard turn.

Shame we were never told directly, we had to find out via a third party. In any event, that matter was resolved with the other company privately and the matter put to bed.

5 Likes

Thanx for the HU :slight_smile:
I’ve tried to e-mail IRIS a few times back then, but never got a reply.
If the other 3rd party dev would have kept me in the loop, I would have never posted this issue openly in any forum.

3 Likes

The Corsair has this issue with its flaps, too. As I understand it, it’s an issue introduced by Asobo recently, and the developers don’t have any control over it.

Yes, I know what you mean. I’m waiting for something a bit different from Just Flight (great retailer) other than all the Pipers :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

There are plenty more PA-28 variants to run through yet.

2 Likes

Great vid , but that takeoff be like :

3 Likes

JF are working on a Fokker F28 Fellowship and BAE Hawk T1/A for MSFS: Just Flight - In Development
I think they’re done with the PA-28s for now. The three we have in MSFS are the same three they developed for FSX/P3D.

2 Likes

Yes, both of these would be a bit different for me.

I’m not really interested in airliners (Fokker) but could possibly be tempted since I did buy the FF 757 in X-Plane

The Hawk could also be a change for me too. I was almost tempted to buy this for X-Plane 11.

So, yes, looking forward to both of these launching :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

I’m totally with you on this one!

1 Like

JF do still have their PA-28-181 Archer III (and maybe LX/TX) to go :slight_smile:

My first flight was in a Chipmunk, back in 1977 at Woodvale. Vivid, excellent memories. Getting back on track though haha… The Grob is a really beautiful addon. Did a 70 mile trip this afternoon and threw some aerobatics in for good measure. I can’t see anything not to like :grinning:

I couldn’t wait last night. Ended up purchasing from IRIS direct. I love it! Just a bit weird to sit on the right side. Is that common for pilot flying to sit on the right? Wicked awkward. I had to switch to Co-Pilot view to get my bearings correct :joy:

2 Likes

From the product description: “The primary flight controls and switches are integrated to the right side of the cockpit to fly the aircraft with a right hand stick and a left hand throttle, which enables to transit easily to fast jet aircraft.”, The SIAI Marchetti SF.260 is the same way.

6 Likes

Just had an hour’s flight in the Tutor. Happy with the flying and the model - though there are some issues as mentioned above in the thread, plus I also noticed this seam issue - not sure if that would be visible in 2D, but it really stands out in VR:

I won’t be able to enjoy it much for a while, though, as SU5 just killed the immersion for me in VR, with all its little irksome bugs and catastrophic changes, as far as enjoying the flying goes. It’s made me stop using the sim and go back to older ones - when I can get up the motivation. What a sorry state.

Very happy with the Tutor, though. I’m sure by the time Asobo have sorted the sim the minor issues with the Tutor will have been put to bed. It’s a bargain at the current price.

I don’t fly MSFS as much until the bugs (altitude especially) are fixed. Just some stuff to test aircraft and that’s about it. They really need to fix this soon. Like you, I am flying other sims more often right now.

3 Likes