New Release: Pilot's Boeing B314 "The Clipper" Flying Boat

Does anyone else see different manifold pressure readouts between the cockpit and engineers station or is it just me?

That might be a bug. Could you please tell me if this was in the B-314 or B-314A and I will make sure it gets investigated and fixed if it is indeed a bug.

Jerome

You will be happy I’m sure that the update, which should be available within the next few minutes, will include Cold & Dark starting positions for all the water runways.

All the water airports are currently in one small 130 KB BGL file, is there a particular reason you would want to be able to turn them off individually?

Jerome

1 Like

Awesome!

In case more detailed airports are created. The current configuration makes it more difficult to turn off your airports individually. I either get to have them all or none. I love that you’re providing the airports, I’m just suggesting this to protect being able to continue using your airports while still being able to replace individual ones as other mods come on line. I’m not expecting you to add more detail to airports, parking spots and runways are fine. Other than perhaps a representative dock (I imagine Pan Am had a standard dock design of sorts), too?

I’m not trying to limit your ability to keep upgrading your airports… :wink: Just saying that you don’t have to do everything.

2 Likes

The PILOT’S Boeing B-314 for MSFS v1.1 update is now available!

The above is just a short clip to illustrate some of the changes we made for this update, the flying boat now behaves very differently in the water compared to the release version.

Jerome

9 Likes

Just wanted to clarify, I wasn’t the person who did the contact points mod. Didn’t want to take credit for someone else’s tinkering ;). Thanks much for the prompt update though; sounds good! :+1:

1 Like

Yes, that was @Stearman948713 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the very quick update! I’m looking forward to trying the new version out. And thank you for your kind words, I’m glad I could make a small contribution =)

7 Likes

Luis, we look forward to welcoming you as a MSFS Clipper pilot!

I thought I should make you aware that the pricing at our own web store is likely to be more favourable than elsewhere, plus any updates we push are going to appear much quicker outside of the Marketplace.

Jerome

3 Likes

So, finally got the chance to get back into the sim… I’d like to add a dock and the tow boat that would be parked on the other side of the dock, plus I was looking at cleaning up Treasure Island around the dock maybe add some people and other details (a 1939 World’s fair TI would be cool to do someday :slight_smile: ). If I want to overwrite your airport, unless I spell the addon so it ends up after yours, I’ll end up with either two or just yours depending on the options you used. And it’s cleaner if I just don’t use yours (which I don’t want to do because I want the rest of your airports). If you create a separate bgl for each airport, then I can suppress your Treasure Island and use mine (and share mine, etc.).

1 Like

Appreciate the quick update. I noticed the changes and it’s great fun the more I learn about the history behind this iconic aircraft. Landed in Hawaii next to a WWII aircraft carrier (from miltech).

I’m inspired to head over to Treasure Island tomorrow (in real life!) to check out the small museum they have there in the original Pan Am clipper terminal as it’s been several years since I’ve been.

Keep up the good work Pilot’s!

4 Likes

Sorry to say that I do not see any color or texture changes to the VC or cabin. The ugly green carpet and walls are still there which does not work very well for the commercial models. The VC remains very dark. The contact points have been fixed, so I did download the correct update.

Yes, the color of the carpet is still green. As Stefan said, this is what it was, though I personally don’t know his source.

I definitely noticed an upgrade in the resolution/detail of the carpet vs what it was before. I’m on a 55" 4K monitor, however, so it may be different at lower resolutions and screen sizes.

4 Likes

I’m surprised, I noticed the texture differences right away, and it’s a big improvement. I agree that overall it’s quite dark and the lights don’t do much. I won’t be able to go for a proper flight until this afternoon, but I noticed the improvements in 1.1 right away.

4 Likes

Here’s the thing, Stefan the CEO of PILOT’S, has over the past 20+ years had contact with past real life B-314 aviators, both at Pan Am get togethers in the USA, as well as via letter correspondence. I have been privy to seeing some of these letters and the fascinating information they contain.

Every effort has been made on our part to replicate the interior as authentically as possible, we have used colour references from both Boeing and Pan Am, as well as feedback and info from those real life aviators, that had an intricate knowledge of how the actual real B-314 looked inside.

I completely understand that the green interior is not to everyone’s liking, I cannot say that it would be my colour of choice either. We have already discussed the possibility of offering alternative, more pleasing interior colours, that would perhaps go along the blue and white theme of Pan Am for instance.

I cannot at present confirm any timeline when such interior colouring might become available, I just want you to realize that your feedback on the interior colours is not falling on deaf ears.

Jerome

8 Likes

My display has similar specs. There is one color pic that shows more of a tan interior on floors and walls. At which stage of production it was from is unknown.

The water contact points are much better and the bounce and stuttering on water is gone.

2 Likes

I’m really surprised why someone wants to change historical facts just because he don’t like the color. I fundamentally disagree with such this solution. On the contrary, I appreciate Stefan’s approach, that he tries to imitate reality as accurately as possible.
Probably nobody paints a tank pink in a tank simulator because he don’t like khaki.
I don’t understand what is meant by the comment “doesn’t work very well with commercial models”, but mate, this is a replica according to historical facts and not a fairground attraction. This is a VINTAGE PLANE and not a custom cadillac. No offense.
Thanks to the PILOTSdev team for their first update.

5 Likes

I appreciate the effort being put into digitally preserving an aircraft that no longer exists. I’m looking forward to seeing improvements and new features implemented.

I love vintage aircraft, radial engines, and flying boats. The 314 ticks all those boxes, it’s one of my favorites.

2 Likes

As has been noted several times above,

Not an actual plane (since none exist).

I don’t know why Stefan did not choose this color scheme or why FFB chose theirs.

There’s this photo as well.

That cockpit looks awfully dark in the artist’s cutaway! Interesting that it doesn’t match on the walls what’s shown in the Engineer’s compartment.

I wonder if, as I’ve often noticed, that MSFS replicates colors much more darkly than a pantone color chart would show. Perhaps Stefan isn’t adjusting for this? Or maybe he has and it matches his research.