New Simmers: Introduce Yourself!

Hi Nick,

It’s a known problem that the Hotas One controls aren’t mapped like they appear in the sim. Good news is that there’s a workaround:

• Xbox players using the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS One: Mappings on the Controls screen does not match the labeling of the buttons and axes on the peripheral.
    • Workaround:
      • Though what you see on the screen is incorrect, if you make an assignment through scanning it will be accurate. Do not use the drop-down to create your mapping.

I’ve added the default controls in the picture below. I hope this helps. Feel free to DM me if you need any assistance or have other questions.

Happy flying!

1 Like

I don’t know if I’m asking this question in the right place or not (I am new to MSFS on the XBOX), but I am having some problems with the AI Pilot. I can take off no problem, but I have been relying on the AI Pilot to handle the flying/landing until I feel more comfortable with the landing part. Would it be a good idea to pick a plane and airport and practice the take-off and landings? I want to get better and hoped to learn some stuff watching the AI Pilot, but I feel like the AI Pilot isn’t all that good when it comes to landings.

1 Like

Hi Kermit,

Welcome to the forums :slight_smile:

Yes, it is always a good idea to practice takeoffs and landings! It also couldn’t hurt to play the basic training activities if you haven’t done so already.

There are also several great video tutorials on how to land. I wouldn’t trust the AI pilot that much :smiley:

If you have any more questions. feel free to DM me or @copilot

Happy flying!

2 Likes

Welcome everyone! As already said - any questions, just ask!

Happy flying! :small_airplane:

2 Likes

Hey everyone, nice to meet you all. As with the majority of new players I’m on Xbox X (sorry to the high end PC players). Always had an interest in flying though I prefer gaming on console, so this will be my first foray into flight simulator. Really enjoying it so far and am in the middle of the first VFR bush flight in the Aleutian Islands.

Have a great day.

7 Likes

Practice so called circuits on a small airport, is a good base to learn flying. This is how real life pilots start as well. All the buttons, dials, gauges, settings, etc etc can be quite overwhelming in the beginning.
But… there is good news, its quite easy to learn, and with a couple of quick tips it will be familliar in no time. Iam not an x box user, but just like any other pc player, we can fly together.
If you want personal help, just sent me (or any other copilot) a DM, and I will get you trough the basics via discord.
the best way of learning (just like any other thing) is practice. Its a simulator so if you crash, push the wrong button or whatever… the beauty is sim is that you can start again without any problems. So start experimenting a bit as well, and see what a plane can do.

4 Likes

I personally prefer having new users onboard than a restricted audience because of the need of high-end machines.
It’s no secret that many identify having console players with the sim becoming a ‘game’ instead of a ‘serious simulator’, but I think it doesn’t need to be the case, neither it needs to be ‘low-end’. On the contrary, a bigger user base means a brighter future for a product that needs huge back-end resources, as opposed to a sim that lives completely inside your machine.

Nice to have you here!

2 Likes

I only said as I’ve been reading the threads and the general consensus is that the sim has been dumbed down in order to accommodate the new consoles.

In my opinion, the sim has not been dumbed down, but optimized.

• A significant change in the CPU management has been done so that some heavy process has been moved to differen thread, and that has improved drastically the performance.
  • It has been reported by the community that some graphical changes have been done too, so that it is less demanding and probably looking worse than before, and this is the part where I see the complaints.

Hopefully high-end PCs will eventually be able to make good use of their power by making some graphics features available for PCs.
Overall, I think the sim looks awesome and performs great (aside of all reported bugs that come with big updates).

I think it does too. Obviously I’d only seen it on YouTube prior to the console release. Looks and runs incredibly on the X. I’ve ordered a beginner Hotas system (thrust master) but it’s a steep learning curve. Running out of fuel on a bush flight because I didn’t realise I had to manually switch tanks was fun. Also found out about leaning out the mixture, just hope I’ve got enough fuel to finish the journey. I’m hooked!!

3 Likes

Yes, practice practice practice. I usually do patterns once a day. YouTube will become your friend here. Search “172 pattern msfs” and get some incite then start practicing.

Hi all, new here and have to say fantastic community. I’m a beginner even though I had played flight sims many years ago on pc.
I’m on the Xbox series x and so far loving the experience even if just flying in the Cessna 152.
I’m a bit overwhelmed and with so many places to see and do I never know what to choose as practice flights. I’ve been doing some simple short flights but have trouble getting lined up correctly with the runway on landing. For some reason today I also don’t seem to be getting the purple GPS line on my VFR map and not sure why.
Anyway great to be here and I’ll do lots of reading and watching videos and hope to become better.

5 Likes

Hi @JohnBrace and welcome to the community!

Great to hear that you’re having a good time! Just want to say that if you have any questions or need some assistance/tips you can always DM one of the copilots here.

Wishing you a good time and happy flying!

Sleevezipper

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome :+1:

1 Like

HI new here

1 Like

Hi, I am John. dba grapecoder71. I am a Private Pilot Land SE IFR. I have been flying since 1958. I flew in B52’s during Vietnam. I owned a C172 and a BE36 for 20 years.
I have been using FS since Artwick first put it on Apple II in 1978 (?). I still feel like a NOOB when it come to forums, so I am not even sure I am in the right place here.

Anyway, MY QUESTION is why should I care how many fps I get? I seem to have excellent performance with all Ultra settings. 20 fps limit is a little shaky. 30 fps thru 60 fps (my max limit) looks great. Why would I ever want more than 30fps??

Just wondering.

8 Likes

I also have trouble staying on center line, despite 50 years as private pilot. I can’t get the controls to feel realistic. I’ll keep trying!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @CZmann !

Realistically anything over 30 FPS is not a necessity. Under that though it becomes quite choppy and can make control harder. Over this, 60-120 FPS adds to the fluidity of the game. It’s easier to control. In a sim like this where slow and steady input is the name of the game really high frames aren’t required. There are always going to be people who say more is always better and in fast pace games like shooters and racing it is definitely better, but in a title like this it’s not really that important in my opinion.

2 Likes

Hi, you can call me Ollie! :slight_smile:

I am playing Microsoft Flight Simulator on Xbox Series S (no PC any more, just a certain other brand of laptop)

I want to try flight simulation because I used to dabble when I was a kid/teenager (FS98, 2000, 2004, X…) and enjoyed it; looking forward to going again and taking it a bit more seriously than just crashing around, even though I’m never going to be serious enough to understand everything.

I’m most interested in learning about how to gain confidence to start flying bigger planes than my 152 in Microsoft Flight Simulator, as well as maybe finding a community to fly with!

5 Likes