New Utility Release - Aircraft Manager Free

I have no idea what a CRLF is, but glad you found the bug :wink:

:+1: Looking forward to using all those Pro Features !

1 Like

Carriage Return Line Feed - forget at your convenience

3 Likes

Tried the free version just now … works for me (4k 32 inch screen):

Legible text at my settings:

Does exactly what is says on the tin …

1 Like

Do the full contents of the Notes column display on mouse-over or do you have to click on the field to display them?

Thanks, good to get confirmation of working, as well as issues!

Currently you need to click and read in the edit box, which is also scrollable as it’s constrained to a certain size.

Mouse over/hover popups for things like that can be annoying I think, as you can potentially be moving across the notes field a lot if you like to use the scroll bar vs scroll wheel, or inadvertandly have the mouse over them.

There’s a balance even with tooltips showing on the header, though you could potentially have settings to turn them on/off.

Click/popup/scroll seems to work ok. Nothing is changed unless you actually physically edit it.

Looks good

1 Like

This really is a huge improvement over the default design and I very much appreciate the effort you’ve put into this. Apologies if this has already been covered above, but have you considered making the thumbnails of user-selectable size? I thought maybe they would scale with the overall interface scale in the Accessibility menu, but they don’t. On a 4k monitor, the thumbnails come out to be frankly just too small to see. If they could be increased to say, twice that size, this would be an instant purchase for me!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback.

Please read the “Known Issues” section on the product page @ Aircraft Manager - Sonicviz which explains a little about resolution scaling issues and why this is not responsive with the MSFS scaling settings.

Image is purely meant to be a visual trigger button, and needs to strike a balance with font size and number of rows displayed. It’s not designed to be an image browser first, but an information browser, as you can easily select a plane and then quickly select the MSFS aircraft selection or livery buttons if you want a higher detail image. Over time, the need for a large scale image reduces as you get more familiar with your aircraft collection.

That said, I continue to tweak the partially responsive solution I’ve currently implemented, and will look at tweaking the image size for >2K resolution in the next pass through that.

Update 19/1/2023

• New free version release, no version number change.
  • Performance improvements + Larger image for >2K screen resolution (adjust font to see).

OP updated.

3 Likes

This looks impressive. If the PRO version could also allow editing of the name and cat columns… for me it’ll become a must-have. Always hated how inconsistent aircraft naming has been in MSFS.

Not sure I like the page-by-page display. Offering an option to switch to a scrolling display might be useful if it’s possible.

He tried that but it caused memory issues (display glitch) on longer lists so decided on 80 per page and pagination. It’s a good solution as once you have added your favourites it’s unlikely you’ll have more than 80 (?!) so they will fit on a single scrolling page.

EDIT: oh and welcome to the forums :smiley:

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for your feedback.

Yes, the data is really inconsistent, and that’s a developer issue with how they fill in their metadata. Masaobo have imposed some naming standards on packages but that has not flowed through to aircraft/livery metadata as yet. You can’t edit any of the base sim data such as name, category, plane stats etc. at all. Also, AM is integrated into the MSFS search/filter system and they work off the (uneditable) base sim data. So we are limited to some degree with what can be done, as the MSFS search/filters are also useful at times.

However, you can save custom tags and notes, on a plane by plane basis, and they work with the AM sort/filter system, independant but alongside MSFS search/filter.
How you use that creatively is up to you!

While I could potentially hack something up with custom names/categories, tags/notes will have to suffice for now for design/technical/deployment reasons this close to release.

Proper naming of planes/manufacturers/developers/category is also really a higher level issue that needs to be addressed and enforced by Asobo, and cleaned up by developer updates to the metadata. It might help to raise a forum topic on this issue and get it upvoted.

All feedback/suggestions go into the development mixer, but for now the feature set is frozen.
I’ll determine what further changes to make after the pro-version gets some traction in the wild and more feedback comes in, balanced with what is possible to deliver within the constraints of the UI system, in a stable & performant manner.

What @Baracus250 said New Utility Release - Aircraft Manager Free - #133 by Baracus250 :ok_hand:

via Known Issues @ Aircraft Manager for MSFS - Sonicviz
" * Scrolling/Pagination: Due to memory issues with integrating into the MSFS UI a hybrid pagination/scroll system has been implemented to avoid any issues. Page size is currently set at 80 rows to stike a balance between utility, performance, and bug free use."

I hit the same issue bumping up the image size for 4K resolution, so had to pull that back as well to a safe size. Still, managed to make it a little bigger!

This also significantly effect Model Matching in Multiplayer, and how the ( UNDOCUMENTED) Ms/Asobo Model Matching works with aircraft data,

Asobo SDK team have said they will address this lack of Documentation in the next SDK release

1. https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/idea/5060/sdk-model-matching-rules.html
  • see also previous request about Model matching
  1. https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/idea/12730/document-rules-for-multiplayer-model-matching.html

2. https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/idea/801/better-aircraft-matching-if-ai-mp-planes.html

But I fear, when they come to look at this issue, they will discover, the current system just does not, and cannot ever work correctly, so will need more than just documentation – it will require a re-design and Documentation of that new working design.

2 Likes

How much longer?

Apologies, working through some issues on the web side of things, and interacting with a platform providers ticketing support system is a little slow, but getting there. Hopefully early next week if I can get them sorted.

@Sonicviz Noticed a new… maybe bug, maybe the only way it can work?!

If I add a tag to a plane with a 3rd Party Livery that is the default livery (either due to it’s naming so it appears before the others in the normal grid sequence, or if I rename the folder and the references in the JSON and CFG files to make it appear first if I WANT it to be the default) – then if I remove that livery (temporarily, I removed it with Addons Linker as I am trying to diagnose a problem here), then when I add it back in, the tag for it has been “forgotten”.

Tags are stored referenced to the plane name. If you’ve somehow changed the plane name between subsequent sessions then there’s no logical way to retrieve that info as there is no change history to reference. You can’t use the numeric reference of the plane as that varies depending on what content people have decided to load, so name is your basic reference point.

There’s also the case where a developer may update their metadata to change the plane name, in which case it will also lose the tags/note data as there is no history of changes in the aircraft data to reference.

Livery metadata is very inconsistent too, like the plane metadata.

Unfortunately I can’t cater for cases where people want to go in and change the underlying metadata however they like. My recomendation would be to not do that, as it’s up to the aircraft/livery dev to do that, and any changes you make will be overwritten by their next update anyway. Unless you manually go in a gain, which is an even bigger pita.

I meant the only thing I did between “sessions” was temporarily remove that skin. When I re-enabled it, it’s still the same name etc as before and since I added the tag on your tool.

And yeah I realise I will need to make that change again manually if they update the plane (talking about the WB Sim Cessna 172) but it doesn’t take long. I only fly it with 1 livery (unusual for me) so for my sanity I added a “-“ to the front of folder name so it appears first :wink: