Night time is too dark comparing to real life

Hi.

When flying at night, it feels way too dark especially in the air, I feel like before certain updates the night time was brighter and cities too but not it seems its back to dark mode.

Now im not saying it cant be real but sometimes in real life there is more light.

Also, is the time updated? It gets dark way too quickly like its winter, especially in UK at 23:00 you still can see well outside, it isnt even dark yet in the sim at 19:00 it gets dark.

(in this picture you should see the plane at least)

4 Likes

Bug, or just poor graphics/design? I feel it’s the latter. I use ReShade to brighten up the picture at night.

There are also many various topics regarding poor night lighting already.

1 Like

Also i cant see the moon anywhere lol

Not sure what it is, it looks like poor graphics, I feel like theres the same cycle of weather for everything, like same texture sunrise, sunset…

1 Like

No, it’s not.

1 Like

so can you explain deeper why you think that?

This looks like night to me:

I think you need to look at your settings for your vid card and monitor, while the above is 4k, it doesnt look much different here in 1080.

2 Likes

As @BubbaBlitz7348 said, it must be something with your settings. My night is not as dark as yours. It’s ok here. Remember, nights without moon are darker though, and that is perfectly normal.

Moved to Community Support.

The darkness in the night is dependent on the moon. If you have at least a moon on First Quarter phase, up to the Last quarter phase, you’ll get some visible light brightnening up the night sky. Especially when you fly under full moon on a clear sky, you’ll be able to see almost everything during the night.

But when you fly during the new-moon half of the phase, there’s not much moonlight that will brighten the sky, and especially on new moon dates, night flying could be pitch black.

If you want to do night flying with enough brightness, you can customise the date in your sim and place it on a date with a full moon. And you should be good.

True of course, however I’ve never been in a city where the ambient light was so low that I can’t see the difference between grass and runway from less than two meters away. I have been in country towns like that though.

The question really isn’t about it never being appropriate. The question is “is the city sky glow taken into account when computing the ambient light”. The answer appears to be “no”. Sure it is a small difference but it is the difference between pitch black and just very dark.

Like when I take my telescope out at night. I guarantee you that I can see where I’m walking just fine on a moonless night at small airfields with no lights near a city compared to one a long way out.

2 Likes

Whether or not you can see the Moon depends on the day/time. It was a new moon a couple of days ago, so nights will be darker because you’ll only see a faint sliver of a moon just after sunset, which won’t cast much light and will soon set.

I dont see any setting regarding lighting. Im running an rtx3070, on kinda ultra settings.

In the Nvidia control panel “Adjust desktop color settings” you can change brightness, contrast and other settings.
You can also use Nvidia Freestyle to customize them in-game if you want.

You can absolutely have a completely pitch black night.

My night conditions were pretty spot on last time I flew at night. Haven’t in a while.

For a new moon phase, the images above look very realistic to me.

1 Like

Yeah I know…it sucks. Try using the Nvidia Ansel shaders. You can brighten up the night lighting while still having the darkness there too. It’s not just for the lights but for the whole look of the sim. You will have to balance out the shaders between day/night but take my word, it’s well worth the result. Just go into GeForce Exp settings and make sure “in game overlay” is ticked on. But you will have to download the shader files first. It will tell you how and where to install them. Hope this helps. Take care.

night is crazy dark. i ask about that before. but i can do it all my life i got some time yet. so. guys. i don’t ask you to recreate all galaxies planets and stars as light source. but please certain obviously thing - moon and general stars light pollution on the night. in the su9 was dark. but su10. come on. clear sky full of stars and i can see nothing at all around… if you’ll told me it’s not true if use hdr, then i shut up myself. but i sure with hdr are same. if you told me rtx will fix that. i will shut up twice and kick myself else. but sure rtx will not fix that too… you can do this i know. give us please some light from the stars and moon, moon btw as certain light source same as sun or big road stick lamp. pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase. and thank you

1 Like

There’s no significant ambient light from stars. The moon there is though.

2 Likes