Instrument readability / Cockpit too dark / Eye Adaptation

we have a long discussion here : Eye adaption has been removed - #78 by MichaMMA where we agree that the effect is lowered, but still exist and is realy notiable (e.g. see my screens). Some users like the old eye adaption, some like the new one.
Result: the wish to makes this feature per slider customizable and/or let enable/disable in menu is still valid and seems for some users more important.

Yes, auto exposure has been reduced almost to the point of being removed. Some like the flat compressed scene in SU10. I find cockpits even darker now. What people don’t understand is that because of the low dynamic range of monitors compared to the real world auto exposure is something that is required and cannot work like the human eye.

3 Likes

either that, or simply the overall brightness has been reduced – so that the sky isn’t too bright, which means that the cockpits are too dark. The change really hits the readability of the displays inside the FBW A320NX for example. Also now the Airbus side-stick and foot-wells completely disappear into blackness.

may be that is an issue of the FBW A320NX ? In the other airplanes is nothing to dark. And how it looks if you disable eye adaption, then all should be with default brightness, or ?

1 Like

The Fenix 320 is also too dark after SU10

I really WISH this too. Please bring back the normal eye adaption at least in nighttime. Or simply make in an option, where one is the old one and one the new one and one to turn it off.

This is not usable like this. The whole lighting is weird now, it seems like off screen light sources show dyn lighting but towards it it doesnt? I dont get it.

I made 2 comparison pics. Only by moving the cam one can achieve 2 completely difference scene lighting. Makes no sense.

ANother example. And watch this one closely ^^ Both example are opposite. One time the front is lit and side not. And the next time opposite. What? How.

Overall it is too dark now too. I have every night pitch black now, that was not the case before, even in this moon phase. It was too bright before, yes. But now its too dark.

Please also see a lot of topics, like

The last was my topic. I first thought its the moon because it suddenly was so insanely dark. Pitch black, tbp. But its this eye adaption.

Here a video.

1 Like

I see a problem that for an unknown reason the eye adaptation works the other way around.

When the camera gets in the dark spot, either in the cockpit or outside, the scenery darkens even more. That is the opposite to how it used to behave before.

And exactly this is an issue of dark cockpits in bigger aircraft like e.g. pmdg 737.

Indeed. When it’s dark outside, you’d expect the cockpit lighting inside to be blazingly bright by comparison – as it would be in real life.
However, now with SU10, everything inside the cockpit gets even darker :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

why are the cockpits darker since SU10 and is there a way to improve the brightness

Let me join the conversation. I would just like to point out the fault which Asobo introduced, most likely by mistake, in the latest update 10. The fact is, that the eye adaptation, or better said what is left out of it, has been turned around and works the other way around. This effect does not have a significant impact if you fly smaller aircraft because these have well brightened cockpits (there are pretty much big windows in proportion to the size of the cockpit). However, what happens when you sit in a 737 at noon while the sky is bright and sunny? (noon = the biggest contrast between light and shade) Paradoxically, the cockpit is dark because there is already the very dark shade dominant in the cabin. And what does the simulator do to balance it? So the scenery outside is not too light? The simulator darkens it all even more, including the cabin which is already too dark.

Everyone can test it using the following steps.

If you look in the dark spot in the cabin or go with the camera in the dark interiors you will see how the whole picture darkens even more. Obviously, do it in bright weather.

Having expressed my point of view I would only like to add that a slider would not bring the solution at this moment.

Until Asobo removes the fault mentioned above.

Yes,
and the second fault by Asobo is: in real life, eye adaption works much faster. In normal conditions, you wouldn’t even recognize your own eye adaption. You could look forward in the cockpit and your eyes switch between outside and instruments and you would see no adaption.
Hence it actually should be completely turned off in computer games cause it doesn’t reflect your experience from real life.

1 Like

that’s not right either - it already has the “effect” of rendering a “sun - flooded” cockpit - among other things - perhaps the “over-illumination” of the outward view should even be adjustable from my side, but turning off the effect has the side effect that the “lighting” looks “lifeless” again and it already contributes to the immersion.
anyone who has ever flown - and taken off in cloudy weather (or on a beautiful sunny day) - and then breaks through the clouds, knows that you probably need sunglasses - the effect already has a good direction - it should be something improved or adjustable / optional - but to disable features again - is not right in my opinion, as I said I think it adds a bit to the immersion and you want to render this effect (on the screen only possible in this way) and I’m sure there are people who feel the same way !

Absolutely true!
I also suffer from the eye adaptation effect in many other games, which is unfortunately almost mandatory these days.
They’ve never managed to do it really well anywhere, it’s completely unrealistic.
I am one of those who think that this feature should not be used at all in the simulator - or at least should be made to be switched on and off.
At the moment I have only managed to make it somewhat bearable with Nvidia Freestyle :slight_smile:

1 Like

did you drive a car, a motocylce or fly an airplane ? sounds not like that :rofl:

That’s exactly my point. Eye adaptation in the human eye is so quick the human being does not notice it. The only time you notice it is when moving from a very dark (i.e: room without windows, lit by electric lights) to outside in the sunshine, and even then, although it’s noticeable, it’s rather quick.

So with the cockpit, the situation is the first one I’ve stated, in which case it’s so quick you don’t notice it. Meaning, it shouldn’t even be implemented. It’s a waste of time and resources. I’ve sat in many cockpits, day and night, and there is no noticeable “eye adaptation”. You can look out the window, and look at the instruments, and there is absolutely no change.

The problem here is overzealousness, period! The same problem where the developers take a picture at night, of the lights (runway, taxiway, etc.), and then model according to what the camera sees, instead of modeling what the actual human eye sees, which is usually a much better, richer picture, and lights are immaculate green/red/blue, not the pink/teal/sky blue with a glow, which is what the camera renders. The taxiway green light has the same shade as a traffic green light, immaculate, not faded as we have in MSFS.

3 Likes

Yes! It’s so quick you don’t notice it as a person, so it’s a waste of time and resources to model that even if you make it as quick as it should be, in which case, it wouldn’t be noticed, and rightly so. So just remove it entirely. They’re just modeling cameras and unfortunately they think it’s cool.

2 Likes

you’re right i’ve noticed this on a few things that they seem to forget its the human eye they should model
not a camera

2 Likes

Exposure adjustment cannot simply be turned off or removed in an engine which uses physically based rendering, which these days is practically every application which is intended to look realistic.

If you like camera analogies, it would be having to choose a specific aperture and exposure and expecting that to work under all circumstances, day and night. Completely impossible.

I appreciate that people have different expectations of what the end result should look like, and Asobo are clearly having problems dealing with that. Asking for it to be removed just demonstrates not understanding the problem.

4 Likes

i think you misunderstand the eye isn’t a camera, it doesn’t even work like a camera , it has a lens and an iris but it’s connected to a brain that can both intoperlate and smooth out transitions, for instance a camera needs to be white balanced our eyes do not, shine a bright light into a camera it will adjust and send the rest of the image black but our eyes can actually seemingly do two exposures combined. The simple fact is our eyes are not a camera so in a sim where we are the pilot in a cockpit what we see on screen we see with our eyes not through a camera. So any camera quirks should be removed or at least made optional i’m actually very against depth of field too as our eyes don’t do that either ( in a general day to day scenario) that’s a pure camera effect but at least we can turn that off

2 Likes

Let me explain the problem:

1. simulation of real world – has very large dynamic range
  2. monitor – has smaller, limited dynamic range (even if HDR)
  3. human eye – has a dynamic range somewhere in the middle

Going from 1) to 2) you have to compress the image to represent details reasonably well on the monitor.

The eye isn’t a camera, but the monitor is like a photograph or TV display in that it has less dynamic range than the world it’s trying to represent.