Instrument readability / Cockpit too dark / Eye Adaptation

I’d say 5.

@GreatGreyBeast Options are always nice, the sim lacks in that.
Also, the windows in a lot of planes brighten the outside a lot more then they should.

Yes, but that’s exactly where I see the problem - if you complain about something here, I’m not saying it’s not necessary - although this effect doesn’t bother me as much - unfortunately it’s not offered as an option but simply turned off - and personally, I’d rather have an effect that isn’t quite accurate than one that doesn’t exist at all.
there are enough other examples.
And I find the effect more realistic than that there is none at all.
I am of course also in favour of options !!!

1 Like

All depends to dome lights on/off,

but in case on i expect n1 best to me. n5 i feel like moonlight strong in night and next numbers as unrealistic.

If you had a Photo taken with a camera and it would look like stock MSFS you would brighten the dark parts and make the outside darker. Would be an easy job for any photo editing software, because the change is nearly the middle of the screen.

Sadly my Monitor neighter the GPU has an option to tone done lights in bright parts or lighten the dark part.
It’s the whole picture that is addresed by the GPU and Monitor options

It should have GAMMA control, which does precisely this …

Gamma doesn’t do that
all is getting brighter and is loosing contrast.

Does on my Nvidea Video card, and in OBS … Go figure

You will need to adjust Brightness and Contrast as well :wink:

I’m a photograher and know the difference between contrast brighness and lighten darks. It’s not the same

Then it looks like you are stuck with what you have

Look on the Bright side, by Contrast it could be worse, after all, its only a GAMmEr :partying_face:

1 Like

My problem with cockpit lighting is primarily with the Garmins. Green RPM and MP figures, for example, on a black background are almost impossible to see unless I zoom in really close. Maybe it’s my eyes.

Hello,

my problem is worst in A320 cockpit, see my sreenshot.
You can’t read displays (ND/ECAM/MFD/MCDU) during normal seat position at flight.
If you zoom close to the individual display , it will be better.
Lightning and readably of FCU Flight control unit (orange color) is ok.

All Displays are adjustable inside the A320 cockpit, but not high enough…

It would be gread if anyone frome the MSFS community has a workaround or idea to this Issue.

BR Michael

1 Like

It dims the cockpit too much whenever the brighter outside is in view, and lots of times (all the time?) the panel lights, flood flights etc, needs to be on just to see what’s written. See Fenix A320, particularly.

Editing the user config file is not a permanent solution, and doesnt seem to work for me anyway. Much rather would I be able to just turn this thing off, and let the cockpit be as bright as it is when I look down, away from the outside.

In general the outside view midday seems to bright to me.

I agree. Needs to be more balance, especially on the cockpit side of things.

I agree and voted!

Was this effect nerfed in SU10? I can’t see it anymore. I do hope not as I really enjoyed it.

we have a long discussion here : Eye adaption has been removed - #78 by MichaMMA where we agree that the effect is lowered, but still exist and is realy notiable (e.g. see my screens). Some users like the old eye adaption, some like the new one.
Result: the wish to makes this feature per slider customizable and/or let enable/disable in menu is still valid and seems for some users more important.

Yes, auto exposure has been reduced almost to the point of being removed. Some like the flat compressed scene in SU10. I find cockpits even darker now. What people don’t understand is that because of the low dynamic range of monitors compared to the real world auto exposure is something that is required and cannot work like the human eye.

3 Likes

either that, or simply the overall brightness has been reduced – so that the sky isn’t too bright, which means that the cockpits are too dark. The change really hits the readability of the displays inside the FBW A320NX for example. Also now the Airbus side-stick and foot-wells completely disappear into blackness.

may be that is an issue of the FBW A320NX ? In the other airplanes is nothing to dark. And how it looks if you disable eye adaption, then all should be with default brightness, or ?

1 Like