Nvidia Driver 465.89 VR performance

I just finished updating my RTX 3070 with its new vbios to get the Resize Bar enabled and it’s confirmed by GPU-Z and NVidia control Panel, good, at least for managed games :wink:

Now seeing this new NV drivers, I’m installing it. I already had better results with previous NV drivers, better than 457.30 (RTX 3xxx series here) and will test those new ones tonight.

Let’s hope nothing break with all those new updates, I’m an happy flyer those last 3 days! :wink:

2 Likes

Totally agree!

1 Like

465.89 worked fine for me in VR for a 1 hour flight in California today. I have a 3080 with PSVR on Ultra/max settings (except bloom off) and 250% scaling in SteamVR and was getting a smooth 35+ FPS.

Just took the 465.89’s for a spin and bust my buttons… not bad!

Most drivers I’ve tried - post 457.30 - have disappointed in one way or another until now. As suggested the Nvidia release notes I tested with HAGS ON (Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling). But Game Mode OFF.

For the record, my system, and usual tests settings are:

System:
~ Alienware R11
~ RTX 3090 24GB (not overclocked)
~ I9-10900KF (3.7Ghz, not overclocked)
~ 64GB Ram (XTD’d at 3400 Mhz)
~ Oculus Rift S, OTT SS at 1.5, ASW at 30Hz (27.5 FPS lock on Rift S) running Oculus V27.0.0.45.587

MSFS Settings (VR):
~ All graphics settings at ULTRA (or their max)…
… except Ambient Occlusion at medium (my personal preference)
~ Rendering Scaling: 100
~ Terrain LOD: 100
~ Object LOD: 100

Customary Aircraft & Airport:
~ Asobo C172
~ KUKI, Ukiah, CA, Runway 33, Few Clouds, Midday
(Ukiah is photogrammetry, surrounded by standard Bing textures and Blackshark AI autogen.)
~ Road Traffic, 100%
~ GA Traffic, 100%
~ Airlines Traffic, 50%

With the above configuration(s), I flew around Mendocino County for about an hour or so, landing and taking off in various fields and open meadows, back to KUKI and back out again, sharp turns, low passes, switching cameras, and then loaded some heavy rain and flew into and back out of it a few times. With OTT set an 30Hz, I was pleased to see I stayed smoothly locked at 27.5 FPS most all the time, with only the standard unavoidable occasional hiccup or minor stutter – BUT – no worse than (and maybe even a bit better!) performance than our beloved and trusty 457.30 drivers.

Will definitely hold onto the 465.89’s for a few days and run them through their paces, but this initial test looks very promising. Remember, HAGS HAS TO BE ON THOUGH… I tried it with HAGS off and sure enough, it was stutter city. I fly VR only, and it’s is a bit refreshing I must say, as it’s the first driver in months that didn’t get uninstalled in favor of the good ole’ 457.30’s.

7 Likes

HAGS on
Game Mode on
Rift S
No OTT running

Vastly improved VR performance, much much smoother. Best it has run for me since the UK update.

Rendering 100 with TAA
Clouds Ultra (could never do that before in VR)
Buildings medium, terrain high, most other stuff medium or low except windshield high. All traffic 50%.

Wasn’t monitoring framerate but from the occasional ASW artifact it looked to be hovering around 30fps.

Did a few touch and goes in rain at Glasgow in the Cessna and Beechcraft. Cessna was exceptionally smooth with some stuttering on the ground, Beechcraft was a little bit stuttery on takeoff and climbout to about 500 feet.

My 3070 GPU sounded like it was idling until I set clouds to ultra, I still don’t think it is being fully utilised as my case isn’t getting anywhere near as hot as it usually does with VR stuff.

Ultra clouds and rain weather preset didn’t seem to affect framerate at all.

A big step in the right direction.

1 Like

Running in VR with a Quest 2, 3090, 1050k 32GB of ram. The best driver so far for me, almost completely eliminated the ghosting/jitter that I get in the cockpit. Much smoother experience.

465.89 is noticeably more stuttery for me than 457.30, both with and w/o HAGS.

Hardware

• 9700K@4.6 (not oc.)
  • NVidia 2080ti (not oc.)
  • 32GB RAM (XMP)
  • HP Reverb G2

Software

• Win10 20H2
  • Nvidia 465.89
  • WMR OpenXR
  • Game Mode OFF
  • Reprojection OFF
  • 50 OXR render scale
  • 90 FS render scale
  • Med/High settings
  • Process Lasso
3 Likes

Another proof that nVidia has abandoned Turing…

2 Likes

Hi All,

Just ran some benchmarks comparing 457.30 to 465.89.

System specs:

• AMD 5800X
  • RTX 3090
  • 4k resolution (100% render scaling, ultra graphics)
  • Reverb G2 (50% OXP, 100% TAA, motion reprojection off)

Non-VR Test condition 1 (Cessna 152 flying west out of Denham, day, few clouds)
-457.30: Average FPS 49.8
-465.89: Average FPS 50.7

Non-VR Test condition 2 (787 flying west out of JFK over NYC, dusk, scattered clouds)
-457.30: Average FPS 25.6
-465.89: Average FPS 26.5

VR Test condition 3 (Cessna 152 flying west out of Denham, day, few clouds)
-457.30: Average FPS 42.3
-465.89: Average FPS 43.6

As you can see the latest drivers show a tiny improvement for all test conditions. Probably not enough to notice but certainly there’s no reason for me to go back to 457.30.

One word about HAGS. Since 457.30 I have had it turned off although it never made a difference if it was on or off. After testing 465.89 with HAGS off there were definitely noticeable stutters in VR. With it turned ON the stutters disappeared. I re-ran the FPS tests with it On/Off and it made no difference to FPS or even frametime for that matter, but there was definitely a noticeable drop in motion clarity with it turned off.

So to conclude, if you have a 3090 (and probably any 3xxx series) there is no good reason to keep 457.30, as long as HAGS is turned ON as recommended by nVidia.

Very similar findings to GuiltyKey06482 with 3090. It seems 2xxx series cards may not benefit with this latest driver, however.

3 Likes

Bit the bullet and decided to go in on it, especially since there was general offering of ReBAR support for other games.

I should have tested 457.30 directly to 465.89 before I made the move, but my assessment is:

465.89 HAGS off was very stuttery. Looking at MSI Afterburner you could see frametime spikes going up to 60 - 80ms.
465.89 HAGS on was very smooth. Felt even smoother than I was typically used to beforehand. This could be confirmation bias, but it felt good. Frametimes stayed rock solid at 35 - 40 ms.

For reference, I used motion reprojection always on, but trying it disabled also felt smoother than I was used to. Also have render scale limited to 80%.

In any case, just because it offers better compatibility with other games, I’m not going to go back to 457.30.

Specs:
5900X PBO’d
ASUS Prime X570 Pro
G.Skill 4 x 8 GB 3733Mhz
MSI 3090 Suprim X
All under custom loop.

It seems if you have a 30 series card, these drivers are a winner!

Cheers,
Peter

This was mentioned by nVidia itself in the changelog.

When I turned HAGS off the other day, I gained close to 5fps. I’m leaving it off now, until I have a compelling reason not to.

I’ll run another base line tonight, same ramp start at EGLL, then try the new driver.

Just tested on my 2080ti - in VR at the same location/time of day/aircraft etc. 465.89, my GPU Frametime jumped into mid 40s, compared to 457.30 mid 20s.

Huge difference… looks like I’m staying on 457.30. Not sure what Nvidia have done with the 46x.xx driver, but it’s like my card runs at half speed when I turn on VR in FS.

4 Likes

So I also made lot of tests with my RTX 3070 and new NV drivers and definitively better with HAGS ON, less stutters in VR, and better than good old 457.30. As said I also updated MB bios and vbios of my Gigabyte Gaming OC to enable Resizable Bar (even if MSFS don’t handle it) so it could be a mix of all those factors which induce my current good results.

I even tried to force lock my fps to 30Hz (CV1 at 90Hz native) ASW ON (retropro) but it’s a big no, I stay with my 45fps locked (and less headroom) until devs implement ASW 2.0, too many water wobble effects.

Edit : Please vote if you have one of the Oculus headset, it will be far better:

2 Likes

This driver has given the best performance for me well beyond 457 and anything else to date. Ive tried both HAGS on and off and found OFF still gives smoother frames on my pc.

VR Setup:
ASW Disabled
1.2 SS
GPU Scaling OFF
FOV 0.8/0.8

My Specs:
9900K OC 5.0
2080ti no OC
Win 10 ver. 20H2
32GB Ram @ 4133mhz

1 Like

Wow!
I find that not using any tools or having anything on like HAGs or game mode and just simply going into the sim gives me the best performance. I’m on Rift S also.
I no longer need Oculus pixel override…100 ingame TAA is pretty crisp for me.
They definitely improved AA.

Yesterday worked perfectly. Today During a teams meeting display port no signal. Everything working people could see me etc. Restarted and continued on Zoom no problem. End meeting, start MSFS. Display port no signal but sim going. Restated flew a bit. Display port no signal. Restarted HAGS off restart. MSFS stutters. DDU’d and rolled back to 461, HAGS on. seems fine now, been flying for 30 mins… strange. I’m on 8700k z370…

EDIT: GPU was wiggly apparently! Lost 1 year of life but then pulled it out, cleaned contacts and resat. All good now. Will return to latest drivers…

Curious if you or anyone has tested the new drivers with HAGS off for non-VR. Does it make any difference?

It really is, volume metrically and thermally spiraled out of control, to be a 2080ti owner today. Like an abandoned child. The wind blows and were not included, thanks NVidia. With supplies shortages, I have no hope in, the red man standing with pointy tail, of seeing a 30 series card in the next year. My new card has to be an upgrade so a 3090 is my only option. It’s not looking good. OH CANADA.

Enjoy VR
Cheers,
Stay safe,
PACO572

Still on 457.30 myself with a 2080super, just curious if anyone with a similar GPU has the new driver running well as I’m happy with my current setup and a bit dubious to upgrade to this one if it’s going to make my game stuttery which I’ve just seemed to have got rid of