Nvidia Driver 465.89 VR performance

:sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

I checked. The controller is OK, but it absolutely does not eliminate the micro-stuttering of the cockpit view, with head movements in VR (Rift S; 1080Ti).

Yes I feel the last good driver for my 2060super is 457.30.
465.89 ran great but caused some odd flickering

1 Like

Strange of you to get less fps on a newer gen card with the latest drivers where 457.30 seems to work best for turing.

Nah it’s well known that 457.30 also works best for ampere, at least until recently

1 Like

This might have been posted here already. In case you have not seen it yet give it a try. It did not really fix all the stuttering for me, but man, did it make a big difference in VR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXX6jyuG3U

1 Like

Giving a try to what, spending nearly 4 mins watching a video which could be resumed in a single sentence? :smiling_imp:

Sincere question:
What it is you’re suggesting trying? What is this about?

3 Likes

By odd flickering do you mean like a strobing of really fast jittering movement of the whole image in both eyes? I experienced that today for the first time and wondered if it was just a one off…

It might be you’re right indeed: ADHD is not a joke.

Nevertheless, there are other reasons not watching a 4 min video just for an information fitting in a single sentence. One such example: “saving the planet in reducing the carbon footprint”.

4 Likes

The video is just about disabling full screen optimization…

1 Like

I just figured out that my VR performance is entirely dependent on WHERE I START THE FLIGHT.

Departure: Glasgow
Arrival: Schipol
= smooth performance for the entire flight including descent, landing and taxi to parking, even in heavy weather and rain.

Departure: Schipol
Arrival: Anywhere
= a stuttering mess in the headset from the beginning. Screen tearing, juddering, low fps, all the bad stuff. Even though I can fly into Schipol from Glasgow and not have any of these issues.

I have confirmed this twice times today with flights into Schipol and multiple times starting the sim in one or other of these locations. (I can also confirm flashing in the headset is there with the current Oculus public release so you need to be in the beta.)

I believe this is the reason for the disparity between the good and bad reports on the forum. It depends where you start the flight from what performance you are going to get.

Schipol for me is a location specific performance black hole - but not if I fly into it, only if I start my departure there.

I would love if another VR user could try and confirm this.

2 Likes

Umm if people are making any effort to test objectively, this is not an issue. I try the exact same plane, environment, weather, time of day, etc when comparing drivers. And in my case, the new one is definitely worse

Who do you think you’re talking to?

CptLucky is like a god in these forums. He has spent countless hours writing guides, explaining how things work, and helping us tweak our setups.

Mind your manners.

6 Likes

I had to reapply my MSFS Nvidia settings, but performance for me is better I would say.

• Power Management Mode : Prefer maximum performance
  • Texture Filtering - Quality : Performance

A lot of different systems out there, hopefully, there is something you can do to fix, best of luck. :slight_smile:

Sure, I reapply a whole bunch of settings in the Nvidia CPL based on captainlucky8’s posts, every time I test a new driver

2 Likes

@Sharpe2603 @BearsAreCool510 you’re making me blushing :blush:

Honestly, I wanted to update the guides but I was waiting for NVidia drivers updates and FS2020 updates. Unfortunately, in both cases, the updates were leaving so much to be desired and there is so much disparity with the first reports, I prefer not running around and I’ll wait at least for the next batch of updates prior spending more time fine tuning things. In the meantime, the only “good” news is that my settings are still holding true in general, are applicable to a variety of GPU/CPU, and with the latest SteamVR versions I can push more pixels to the Index, while at the same time using 18fps → 90Hz since SU3 (I was using 22fps → 90hz prior) and raising a few visuals settings.

Here is my latest post about this:

NB: this post is a reply to:

1 Like

Don’t bother nothing better then ol faithful 457!!

2 Likes

For my setup, I agree after trying a lot of permutations. It’s much smoother especially almost zero judder on the horizon when panning or tilting.

HAGS off
TAA100/OXR100
No reprojection

LOL, yes I just returned from burning a box of 2080TI’s in my backyard as an offer to CptLucky hoping it will appeal enough for him to write the ultimate VR guide that will make MSFS on Ultra settings run well for everyone one with a VR headset, so I can know. :wink:

1 Like

I just updated, and concur that it’s at least as good as 457, probably even a little better.

HAGS on
TAA100/OXR100
No reprojection

5950x/3080/64gb

I also got a firmware update for the 3080 at the same time (the rebar one).