Nvidia Image Scaling NIS and VR

And then again brother, I’m not bashing your work here, especially putting your own time into this for all of us to have a better experience and I appreciate that, just want you to understand that. I will give this a try. Thanks.

1 Like

I think I’m going to need the same help you got. I have the same issue as you did and I can’t figure it out, yet. I have never mess with registry.

Going to suggest you stop here for now and wait for the beta release, which will include a real installer program.

As mentioned in my original post, alpha software quality requires a minimal amount of tech-savyyness.

Given the amount of interest in this project, it won’t be long until I release the beta, I promise!!

4 Likes

You da men!

Announcement

Thanks again to everyone for the support!

This thread is much more popular than I thought it’d become(!), which also means hard to follow and find information.

I’m open to suggestions on how to be more effective, but my initial thought is to create a new thread once I release the first Beta (I’m hoping later this week). This way, I’ll own the 1st/top post and can edit it to collect all the info. This will be easier for newcomers to get the latest all-in-one.

Speaking of the first Beta, I don’t think it will have too many exciting improvements. Here is my target list:

• A real installer program.
  • Optimization to bypass the scaling process when scaling is 100% - only do the sharpening.
  • Other minor optimizations and/or performance instrumentation.

My top 3 issues remain:

• Fixing the install process (Beta target)
  • Fixing color issues with dark scenes. I have to be honest I have no idea where to start. Thanks to people who ran experiments for me!
  • Performance improvements with the SteamVR runtime. This one might also be a long road ahead.

Hopefully I’ve captured the most important things here.

See you on the next thread.

15 Likes

Unfortunately I am at work so cannot test this myself but can someone who has it working try it with dx12? Yesterday I thought I would try dx12 again after an update but the game crashes immediately on VR initialisation, even if I initialise during the first stages of loading. Implementing this app is the only change I’ve made since dx12 last worked when I tested a couple of weeks ago.

No. It does not work with DX12 at this point (it’s in my original post and the limitations listed in the readme).

I have DX12 support on my To-do list, but with a low priority.

Ah yes sorry I should have rechecked your original post. I remember now.

No worries. It shouldn’t have crashed though, just not done any upscaling. I think I know the problem and I have already fixed it for the next version (FWIW).

Tried it 8 times and CTD every time as soon as I alt tab. I will check later maybe its something else.

You don’t have to spend time on this. I’m 99% sure it’s a bug and I spotted it last night while doing some code rework and fixed it. It will be fixed in the Beta. As for real DX12 support we’ll see once I solve those top 3 issues mentioned above!

2 Likes

You could always try to hint this to Nvidia’s own developers. Show them your current work with NIS aswell. They’d most likely be more than extatic to see NIS used this way. And they have the expertise to write DLSS OpenXR API in no time.

Superb job with OpenXR NIS implementation. It really helped to ooze out more FPS without massive image degradation on my system with G2. We need more programmers like you for VR - definitely!

2 Likes

Do step 4 in the Readme file. ie:

1. (Optional) Start the OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality, under the System Status tab, scroll down to API Layers. A layer named XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_nis_scaler should be listed.

If you see that you are all good.

Oh…well…I didn´t. Was looking for an NIS app or something similar. Thank you!

Amazing Work! I think this project is a very important step for a lot FS2020 VR users and I think you should connect with other developers (like the flybywire project) so you can do something amazing. I think the performance side always gets not the real attention from Asobos side. From update to update we ran into new trouble. So a project like this really can help to give us more headroom and better quality.
Once again, thank you for the work!

Greets
Andre

2 Likes

Since we are here, any chance of having an OpenXR IPD_offset value to tackle that pesky world scale imbalance in the game? Would be superb to fix that aswell.

And sorry for the hijack, I know this is a bit off topic.

Just wanted to say a big thank you for what you do. Your project really gives me hope that there is still a lot of good stuff to come. Will install and test it on the weekend. Keep up the great work. You are amazing

1 Like

What world scale imbalance is this? I haven’t noticed any issue with it, and I’m the hardest to please :wink: Please reference something.

I think it would be really helpful to be able to disable the scaler with a shortcut while the API is installed.

I know you can fairly quickly uninstall the tool or change the name of the config file, but when doing A/B comparisons, time is everything in being able to discern a difference between having the scaler running vs not.

If you could easily disable it with a shortcut, then a simple process of exiting and re-entering VR quickly would make it a lot easier to spot key differences between the two.

Are you planning on implementing some sort of simple UI for the tool?

Just my thoughts after spending 5 or 6 hours flying with the tool and playing with various combinations of settings.

Lastly, if you have a “buy me a beer/coffee” link of some sort, please share it. I’ve no doubt you’ll get enough coffee/beer to last you all of '22. Until this tool, I had kind of lost interest in MSFS and VR because everything was just so “meh” (and I have a 10850/3090 system). I’m now rocking nearly every setting on ultra, 350/150 LOD’s, OXR125 TAA80, Scaler 0.85 Sharpness 0.1 and I am loving every minute of it again. And for that, I thank you!

(I just finished re-flying the iceland bush trip. The last leg with the above settings, I was anywhere between 40-43 FPS for the entire flight, I think I dropped to 38 or 39 on short final into Reykjavík)

I can’t wait to get my hands on the Varjo Aero I have on order and see what I can do with this

3 Likes

Yes that would be great, if possible

I have the same system although quest 2 headset, very similar settings. Can I ask if you suffer from building shimmering at all?