Nvidia Image Scaling NIS and VR

Did some Benchmarks (same scenario, weather/AI Pilot/Route etc) just to show the benefits I’m personally getting with the Scaling Options - Reverb G2, 2070Super, i9-9900k, 32gb RAM

<excuse the spelling mistakes!>

3 Likes

Very helpful. To be clear, are you comparing apple to Apple (comparable visual quality)?

Thanks!

This keeps getting glossed over in this conversation but it seems more and more people are discovering this for themselves.

INCREASE your OVERSAMPLING either in Oculus Debug Tool or in your WMR HMD settings to anything beyond 100% and then use this Plug-in to drop it down to a lower percentage.

For me this creates a CRISP and CLEAN image, with readable text, minimal shimmering and STILL increases the performance by a few frames.

2080Ti
i7
32G Ram
Quest 2.

Quest Debug Tool - Resolution 200%
NIS - Resolution 50%
In Game - Resolution 100%

Running over photogrammetry city on all Medium to High settings, getting solid 37 FPS, while previously was getting 32-34.

1 Like

Nah, you are just doing this wrong.

if your settings are 80/100 openxr/msfs this means MSFS thinks your headset resolution is 80%
The MSFS will render smaller image.
On top of that you are applying additional 90% scale via NIS so MSFS renders 90% of the original 80% downscaled image. After it’s rendered it’s enlarged by NIS then by OpenXR.
No wonder it looks bad.

Try with 100% openXR 100% msfs and 0.8 NIS you should get better quality and fps.

Judging by your settings you should be able to run 200% OXR 100% MSFS and 0.6 NIS
Try that with repro disabled.

1 Like

No that was with the HMD on a steady surface so purely benchmarking FPS.

I’m currently going through the scaling visually right now whilst adjusting in game graphical settings, 0.7 is ok but I may go for 0.8 and just raise a few key areas.

I just turned of motion reprojection and forced nvidia control panel to 30fps.
Wow that was impressive for me.
System now runs 25/30 fps in New York.
Before good not get above 22.5fps.

Everything Ultra and lod 300
Open XR 100 in game 95
This game keeps amazing me.
What a unbelievable VR experience
Before I was at 70/100 with motion reprojection on. This new setting so smooth. And I see in the taskmanager that my 3080 runs at 100% now.
Even my 11700k goes up to 80%.
Awesome!!
(Reverb G2)
Btw I dont think sharpening runs in my Reverb.
(With NIS on)

Hi, regarding the color problem:
just read something about sRGB. This is a kind of compression with gamma encoding, see here:

Understanding Gamma Correction (cambridgeincolour.com)

Esp. the graphics after this sentence: 2. Gamma encoded images store tones more efficiently

(came there from here: image - Convert RGB to sRGB? - Stack Overflow
)

Perhaps this could be the source of the problem? It seems the G2 has an sRGB Panel:
https://www.panelook.com/LS029B3SX06A_Sharp_2.9_LCM_parameter_43937.html
Therefore the whole chain has to be in sRGB, else the dark tones have too less steps??? So if somewhere in the plugin is a conversion from sRGB to RGB the steps get too few in the darks? Just wild speculations…

2 Likes

I also try-ed. I have a reverb g2. Vulfy550 is correct. The blue label is only visable on the monitorscreen mirror and maybe sharpened that screen but i see hardly difference on that screen, My NIs upscaling is set from 2176x1224 to 2560X1440. In the headset i see no extra sharpness and for sure no more FPS. With the Alpha tool set on the image in VR is much sharper (check it with CTRL-F1) and also the fps are much better (see my post’s above).

1 Like

Correct after some testing I concluded the same. See my post above. Thks for confirming.

What setting are you using for resolution in the main Oculus app with those settings, max I presume?

Thank you for sharing and let me start by saying that am amazed that you managed to dig this up!!

This is the direction I am looking into as well since Sunday - and as you have identified, yes there is a conversion from sRBG to RGB that is happening, because of the way the NIS shader is currently setup, it will not allow to write its output to an sRGB texture. This is comparable to the issue I have been having with SteamVR. To make both WMR and SteamVR work, I am forcing the conversion to RGB, and for SteamVR I even had to add an extra pass to bring it back (but still at loss) to sRGB, since SteamVR only supports that.

So I need to find a way for the NIS shader to accept sRGB output, possibly at the cost of an extra conversion pass (like I am doing for SteamVR) but that will actually be lossless.

PS: Reading your post and replying just gave me an idea to test. I’ll see if I can try it tonight!!

5 Likes

What you’re describing is HMD dependant, with my Reverb G2 I already have a clear and crisp image with default Supersampling and in game Render Scaling at 100 so this NIS tool simply allows me to increase other standard graphical settings.

Overall I’m still very much tweaking but so far having settled on 0.8 NIS Scaling and 0.0 Sharpness (too many artefacts appear with this setting for my liking), going by my Benchmarks above I get roughly 8-10 FPS extra so I’ve bumped a few other settings up from Medium to Ultra (Clouds included) and I’ve still got some FPS to spare. As ever different scenarios, weather, locations etc play a part in a smooth experience, I like to find the right balance between them all and then stick to those settings, but as before still tweaking to be done.

I tried it also.
my rig is low end
i7 6700k and gtx 1080
before: 20 fps with openxr 60% and MSFS at 100% it was okayish

after: with openxr 100% MSFS 100% alpha NIS 0.7 and sharpnes 0.5:
I gain only 1 or 2 fps but the clarity is so much better. I didn’t hope I could afford such image quality with my low end system.
Of course there are artifacts especialy around clouds, but I like the sharpness of the textures.

The first time I tried it I forgot the put open xr to 100% and it stayed at 60% and… the fps skyroketed! The image was a bit blurier but It was incledibly smooth!!

And BTW no crash for me when alt tab .

Thank you very much!!

1 Like

Sorry for the question.
this Programm for oculus Software too or only for steam?

Quest too, tried minutes ago

if you can give me a tutorial site ? for the quest version

Just skip 4 step

Brother would you mind give it a shot as for the settings (OpenXR, in sim scaling and NIS settings) at someone with a 9700K 1080ti with 32GB RAM? I know that it might be difficult for you that don’t probably have the hardware but you seem to be pretty knowledgeable of different types of hardware and how it might work. Regards.

I gave the settings you suggested a try. My test scenario is on the runway at SAFZ in South America, midday, scattered clouds weather preset, in the PC-6 G1000 version and in cockpit view.

My clarity test is in VR with default seating position, trying to read the small numbers on the bottom right of the PFD, especially the 8s (circled in red). Yes it is a challenging visual test, but this is where I notice the loss of text readability compared to my pre-mod settings and has repeatable results. I use Developer Mode FPS counter to read the approximate FPS after VR stabilises from the switching event.

The results of my test are as follows:

OXR MSFS NIS X Y FPS Read small 8s
200 100 0.6 2673 2618 27 N
80 100 n/a 2824 2764 27.5 Y
200 100 0.7 3119 3054 22.7 Y
200 100 0.633894501 2824 2766 25.7 Borderline
100 100 0.8 2521 2467 31.9 N

In summary, when I get similar readability with the mod to what I had previously, the FPS is 10-20% lower. If I use the specific settings you suggested (first and last test), the finer detail in the small text is not readable.

I am happy to try any other combinations you suggest, because I’d really like to get the benefit of this mod, but at this stage it is not suitable for my use.

3 Likes