Oculus Rift S performance on RTX and OXR toolkit SU9

Although the MSFS world has obviously completely shifted to ReverbG2, Quest and Varjo pilots, I am still on my Rift S, as it fits perfect for me and gives superb performance in other sims.

Now…since I upgraded my 1080ti to a 3080ti GPU, things got worse. The classical tools didnt deliever smooth fps anymore (Oculus Tray Tool, Debug Tool, Latency Mode etc.) and I was confused. CPU is not limiting my experience, and it seems the sideway scenery stutter relates to the internet connection (which is 1gig glasfibre …superfast). So does a 3080ti really NOT help my MSFS VR? Cant believe that.

Tried OpenXR Toolkit from Matthieu Bucchia, and several optimization steps in win10 and Nvidia settings, and wow - its going into the right direction. Massive clarity wins and fps gains are possible, still the sideway scenery stutters (when you look right or left while flying low) remain.

My question therefore is…multiple :slight_smile:

• who is running RiftS, on a 30series RTX maybe?
  • what settings do you run in what software
  • Motion Reprojection, ASW… yes or no?
  • what mode is prefered in the OpenXR toolkit for our setup?

Maybe there are others out there…earthlings…:safety_vest:

Regards from EDDM

Michael

#thehybridcockpit
737 and H145 hybrid cockpit simulator

2 Likes

Hi, I’m trying to get started using a Rift S but with a 2080 and its terrible. I’ve tried quite a few settings in FS setups but it’s not flyable. I also use it in X-Plane and get decent framerates and it’s perfectly flyable, although still not very detailed in the distance. So I’ll all ears on help in setting up the Rift S with FS. I’d love to get it working. I do run at 2880x1440 in 2D with good framerates. Even in 4K it’s useable but I’m still playing around with the detail settings.

1 Like

Following!

Not flying that much these days and little time to troubleshoot but having the same issue. I fly low and slow.

Getting 35 to 41 fps depending on weather and location but stutters tied to mainthread going red when maneuvering plane or moving head quickly

Lowering LOD and flying outside of big cities help of course. Even to the point where it can be really smooth over Kansas with clear skies. But how much fun is that :sweat_smile:

Setup:
Rift S
3070 Ti
3600x
32gb

1 Like

I play in vr with the quest 1. I use Oculus Tray Tool .
I managed to play correctly by modifying oculus tray tool:
in quest link you have to
1e) deactivate sharpening imperatively (gives jerks).
then according to your graphic card
2) deactivate default asw mode (off or put on 30 hz if you do not block fps at 30),
mirror fov multiplier i put 0.80 by 0.60
ovr server priority ;above normal.
in nvidia block the fps to 30.
my settings in the simulator are set to ultra or high and I have deactivated everything that is shadows and lights.
I have a great rtx 2070 card
fs2020 and smooth and without jerks.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

1 Like

I have a 2070 and a Rift S. It definitely took a lot of trial and error, but I have dialed in a great VR experience with use of the Oculus Tray Tool and the Open XR toolkit. I only use the foveated rendering w/ the open XR toolkit so you may even be able to squeeze a little more performance out of it if you also use the render scaling.
I am at work and unable to provide a walkthrough, but you can find info on both very easily. The only tip I have is to use the ASW 30 function w/ the Oculus tray tool. I hate using ASW but it does not degrade the experience in any way for me unless using fast movers. I only fly low and slow or transport so I do not need to render a lot of speed.

1 Like

Mind sharing the settings you have arrived at?

1 Like

Alright, now I think its worth to share a summary of what we did to get to a proper and stable VR performance with the GTX3080ti and the Oculus RiftS, also based on your input, the forums VR and Nvidia Driver discussion, as well as some Bios and Oculus hints:

1. Start VANILLA
    To really compare the effects of all changes, we decided to bring our system into a vanilla (clean/standard) state. This means

a) BIOS (Asus) to standard settings. No overclocking, no RAID mode, just the standard boost function (in our case its a I7 ROG Z370F Gaming, with 32GB RAM at 2666mhz, with 6 cores running at 3700mhz - in boost mode they deliver solid 4300mhz)

In order to reserve the highest priority and balanced cores for MSFS, I installed “project lasso”, so my settings here are pretty easy: Performance Mode and ProBalance Mode enabled, MSFS.exe gets high prio, (always), i/o prio, and the Bitsum power profile “highest performance”, plus I set a CPU limiter here to 98%.

b) WINDOWS10 to standard settings, except Game Mode OFF, and Hardware Accelerated GPU Scaling (HAGS) OFF. Its safe to say that both modes do not help with FPS on our system.

b1) NVIDIA Driver 512.59 (clean install), leave everything to stock settings. No MSFS profile. Yes, really.

c) Oculus Software to standard settings. except BETA Channel is active, and Headset settings are on “Quality” not on “Performance” as this gives you the full resolution (which will be adjusted later anyway, but not here).

d) OPEN XR Software to standard! No individual render scale, no motion repro (for now).

e) OPEN XR Toolkit active, but no settings for now. All OFF.

f) Oculus Tray Tool or Debug Tool (doesnt really matter), both OFF. Do not use this for the first test flight, as we wanted to find the sweet spot first on MSFS.

g) MSFS - Data settings: rolling cache and manual cache OFF. This was one of the problems, as my glasfibre internet was faster than the cache coming from a HDD…try it. Graphic settings; go to VR and hit “default setting, then adjust rendering resolution to 100” and leave. Now adjust your PC graphic setting to the same numbers as in VR (why loading higher settings to dump them when entering VR).

1. Make a proper BENCHMARK
    Now do a test flight with empty community folder, no addons, and make sure you keep everthying else away from the CPU (no antivirus, no updates, no monitoring software etc., so that MSFS can utilize full scope, which also means CPU and GPU can interact without additional traffic).

I use the MSFS addon linker to remove all addons with one click, and bring them back with one click. Also I use several profiles (like “low and slow”, or “helicopter”, or “CRJ700”) to ensure, MSFS only loads what I need for a specific flight. Loading time MSFS should be below 2 minutes, loading time flight below 1 minute.

Get into a Cessna with classic instrumentation, no clouds set, and use the same airport and time for comparision. Now open the OXR toolkit window in VR and activate the HUD display. Check if GPU and CPU are within specs (if now, it says “CPU or GPU bound”, then you are already at a bottleneck, and have to reduce certain settings. Second flight should be with the same plane, but G1000 instrumentation, check the performance again. Then do both flights with scattered clouds - check. Then low and slow, then high and slow, then low and fast etc… until you have your benchmark fps.

1. RESULTS
    To make a long story short; we are finally able to dial-in robust 40fps at a 1.4 super sampling, which gives smooth scenery and good clarity in the cockpit. With the Oculus RiftS and the RTX cards in MSFS, you have to say goodbye to “far distance clarity” or super “ASW or motion smoothing” - thats not gonna work. The sooner you accept this, the earlier you fly again instead of fumbling options back and forth. When MSFS gets the DLSS from Nvidia (in SU10), this might change.

1. Our “recommended” SETTINGS
    We will list here the important ones, that made the change, we do not list the full overviews, as this would be confusing. When its not listed here; its STANDARD setting. Ok? (the magic hint here is; change ONE thing at a time, then observe and benchmark again, then continue with the next change…)

Windows: HAGS off, Game Mode off, MSFS enables performance mode (under Apps), Updates paused

OPEN XR Software: default, no changes here! Motion Repro: OFF.

Oculus Software: default, but beta channel active, and headset set to “quality”

Nvidia Control Center: default, keep things like low latency mode OFF !!, but change this: Max Frame Rate 40fps (which is native MSFS setting), Maximum Performance Setting, and texture filteing to Quality (yes!). Make sure the rest stays default.

MSFS: Data, Caches OFF, VR Grpahics: Render Scaling 100, TAA, LoDs 80, Off Screen Pre Caching: LOW (!), Vector Data LOW, Texture SS OFF, all Shadows OFF, Shadow Maps can be 2048, also Clouds are HIGH on my system, as they look great and my system can take it, Ambient Occlusion OFF; Reflections, Shafts and Bloom OFF, Glass Cockpit HIGH.

OCULUS TRAY TOOL: Default Super Sampling 1.4, the rest stays OFF, server prio above normal.

OPEN XR Toolkit: here I only use the Performance Tab - and set Upscaling to FSR. Along with the 1.4 Oculus Super Sampling, it gives us pretty 2200x2200 pixels clarity (numbers are out of my head, as I did not took a shot here), all other settings (Fixed Foveated rendering, Sharpening, Reduction of Shaking) I did not touch, but - feel free to benchmark and report back!

In addition, as mentioned above, I do use process lasso to have a balanced core management, and on top I start every Windows session with AVG tune up utility to have my system scanned for old data, backup files, broken links etc., and let it clean it. Dont know if thats an option for you, but here it helps to keep my 2018 i7 Coffee Lake with pure Coffee… haha.

I hope this helps some of you, would be happy to hear your approaches on the RTX cards with a Rift S.

Regards from EDDM

Michael

#thehybridcockpit
737 and H145 hybrid cockpit simulator

8 Likes

Great tips! Thank you I’m going to give them a try.

I don’t use the open x tool, because the Oculus were great until SU9.
Since then, each
ten minutes the glasses turn off, the image on the computer screen freezes and the glasses remain offline, even with the cables connected.
After 5-10 minutes, the simulator is unlocked, I return to the 2D screen, connect the glasses again on the screen and it works againA
Some help?
Thank you.

That does not sound like a MSFS issue… that happens when the Oculus software is outdated, or the room setup / virtual borders got lost, or the cable is broken or loose on headset side?

I have a Rift S and a 3080Ti, and I’m keen to see if the OPENXR Tools will improve my VR experience.

Currently using the Oculus (Beta) software and the OTT. In addition to installing OPENXR Tools, is there anything else I need to do to get this up and running? Do I need to change the json?

Thanks & BR

Paul

It only happens with msfs. Therefore the discarded cable

Mmmh, then my only guess would be to do all standards; eg driver updates win, gpu, usb and occulus (try beta mode), and of course, check the open XR runtime again.

The runtime in OpenXR needs to be the Oculus one.

Try the things I recommended above. If that did not help; as a rule of thumb:

The rift S needs to run at either 80, 40, 27 or 20 fps (as it has native 80hz). Make sure that the resolution is somewhere close to 2200x2200 and try ASW30. Limit the fps in the gpu settings then. And keep motion repro OFF in the OXR runtime.

Thanks! - will try

1 Like

Hello FSC719,

Thank you for the detailed settings, Mine seems to be stable now, but every time I try to improve with better settings it seems to get worse, so I have decided to keep it simple, and everything works well. Thanks again for you efforts to help.

Rockitglider

1 Like

thats good! keep a running system. have fun!

It’s over. I leave virtual reality and MSFs2020. I switch to XPLANE, much safer for virtual reality. I have tried everything
I can not anymore. It’s a punishment but I no longer enjoy virtual reality. Why?

1. You hear a beep and the Oculus turns off.
  2. If you hold the game and the computer screen stays frozen for about five minutes, without being able to do anything, not disconnect the game or any other application, not even connect to the Internet.
  3. After 5 minutes, the screen is unlocked, and therefore the game, I can return to virtual reality with the Oculus rift S but there is no sound, I have to go back to restart the game. All this from the SU9.
    I think they have been more than a year and more and more problems for Virtual Reality.
1 Like

I am sorry to hear this; but it sounds like a individual issue with your Oculus setup, not with OpenXR or MSFS. Over here, the RiftS runs perfectly smooth with MSFS right now.

Maybe you should undergo a hardware check again (cables, USB and display port setup etc., drivers), as this sounds pretty unusual.

I’m running a Rift S on i7700k and a 3080ti. Now using OPEN XR Tools, with the following settings (as recommended on another forum by andreh):

• 1.3 with ASW locked at 30hz in the Oculus tray tool
  • 100% render scale in game with TAA. I also have have contact shadows and ambient occlusion set to low, and bloom on. Most others at high or medium, except clouds which are ultra
  • FSR with 100% and 30% sharpness in the OpenXR toolkit. I’ve also tweaked the colours to make them less bright (Contrast 51, Brightness 42, Saturation 35, Vibrance 98), but still experimenting here.

With background processes turned off, I’m getting a solid 40 fps with GA aircraft in the UK, with barely any stutter - and it looks very good.

1 Like