[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-in Event: Guided Japan Tour

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to those who would like to fly along with us and available for all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends.

Flight plans will be brought to you by @Pieter1982NL and your regular hosts will be @simtom2 and @Jummivana.

This guided tour is brought to you by @MarchHare.

When: Friday, 1900Z, for two hours.
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat.

02.10 FLIGHT DETAILS

Konnichiwa, Microsoft Flight Simulator pilots! For this week’s community fly-in, we’re visiting the Land of the Rising Sun and exploring some of the new scenery that was just released in the Japan World Update.

We start at Shimofusa Air Base (RJTL), an airfield east of Tokyo. The group will spend about 15 minutes flying over Japan’s capital and touring some well-known sites before departing the Tokyo metro area and heading to the west. We’ll navigate through some mountainous canyons before emerging on a plateau with the most famous of all Japanese landmarks, the magnificent Mount Fuji, directly ahead. The group must then climb to about 12,500 feet to overfly this active volcano before descending back into more canyons as we continue our route to our ultimate destination, Nagoya (RJNA).

PLANNING

We have have selected the JMB VL-3 for this flight since it hasn’t yet appeared on any of the official MSFS streams. As a bonus, it is included in the Standard version of Microsoft Flight Simulator and is therefore available to all participants. Community members can choose any plane capable of cruising at 110-120 knots to complete this flight plan within the time limit, though.

Starting airport is at RJTL. Please load your aircraft 15 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the taxiway or parking.

WEATHER

We will use custom weather.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server North Europe
Multiplayer All
Live traffic As desired
Weather Few Clouds

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

FLIGHT PLAN

A .PLN file is provided by the following link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/2/folders/10mxCy3202tGrcZT3-n4PgdhO7HEzQnrQ

To use the flight plan, follow these steps:

1. Download the flight plan to a easy-to-remember location
  2. Open MSFS
  3. Go to the globe
  4. Click “Load/Save” on the bottom of your screen
  5. Click “Load”
  6. Navigate to the downloaded flight plan
  7. Click load.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

11 Likes

Hey everyone! I’m beyond excited to be leading the group during this week’s Community Fly-in. I’m a real-life pilot and have previously visited Japan for a vacation two years ago, so I’m eagerly looking forward to sharing plenty of interesting bits of trivia and other anecdotes as we explore this beautiful country together on the stream. I’ve spent the past few weeks working with @Jummivana, @Pieter1982NL, and @simtom2 to create a flight plan that will both showcase the new scenery from the Japan World Update while also being very exciting to fly. See you in the skies on Friday! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Thank you for arranging this guided tour, though I would really appreciate a pure audio feed of the hosts and guide talking. My connection can’t keep up with the multiplayer while leaving the Twitch stream open, even at the lowest quality. Maybe a Discord voice channel where only the moderators can talk if that’s possible. Looking forward to checking out the tour either way.

I’d also love a Discord audio-only stream additionally to Twitch even though I’m mostly fine with the bandwidth.

For the time being you could try using the Twitch mobile app, which actually allows to stream audio-only.

Looking forward to the tour and SeedyL3205 as our guide. The VL-3 won’t be my preferred choice, but maybe worth a try :smiley:
Thank you for the preparation and work on it even in these busy times!

2 Likes

The VL-3 won’t be my preferred choice, but maybe worth a try :smiley:

Any aircraft of your choice that can maintain a cruising speed of about 120 knots and can climb to at least 12,500 feet will work for this flight. Not gonna lie, I chose the VL-3 at least in part so we can make POSTIVE RATE GEAR UP jokes. :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you for the advice, I was already aware of the audio-only option on the Twitch app, but sadly I’m using headphones for my PC and I’d have to turn up my phone’s volume way too high to hear anything. It’s rather dumb that the Twitch app for PC does not have the same feature.

I guess I’ll put up with just watching the stream this time and then do the route myself (even if it’s way more fun to do it with others). If an audio-only Discord channel is indeed possible, hopefully the hosts will consider it for future guided tours.

Thanks for the feedback! We will think on how we can implement this!

Looking forward for this tour!

I was in the wrong server the whole time :frowning:

I’m loading up at 730am rather than 430am, which is live Japan time. Hope that’s ok.

Everyone is reporting not seeing anyone else when logged into the west Europe server.
North Europe works fine.

1 Like

Where is everyone?

1 Like

Mavic2Pro is my username

Try north Europe server.

1 Like

Yup! Holy cow! I wish I could talk to these peeps

You can: https://discord.gg/msfs

Such a fun flight! The Japan scenery was gorgeous (especially Tokyo in photogrammetry), and @SeedyL3205 did an excellent job with the tour. Will be looking forward to more if you do them.

Unfortunately I kept losing my avionics and even engine power at some point so I missed the moment where you were climbing over Mount Fuji, but I was rewarded by rejoining and sticking to the end. Climbing out of the canyons while seeing others crash was intense!

And most importantly, many thanks to @Coppersens as without his solution I wouldn’t be able to join the flight today.

2 Likes

You’re welcome :slight_smile:
I for one had two CTDs and then did not bother to restart again. What a mess, I did not have one completed flight since last patch and as we’ve seen with simtom noone is safe from that.

At the end he mentioned a patch next week :wink: Let’s hope he knows more than we do…

Just in case voting helps, here’s a thread (includes a workaround that didn’t help me):

2 Likes

Yep, unfortunately there were too many bugs this time. I also got the issue with the SmartCam that kept toggling on while trying to land at the end and it was a huge nuisance, but no CTD for me. As it can take 5-10 minutes for me to load into a flight I too reconsidered joining back, but the sequence with the canyons made up for all this. Hopefully the next flights will be smooth!

With all due respect, if Microsoft’s idea of a “Community Fly-In” is to post a 168nm flight plan, fly half of it, and then slew to the final waypoint for a “Community Screenshot” (after leaving at least half the group behind), well, let’s just say I’m going to have to adjust my expectations. Oh well, it was a nice group of people and it was fun for a bit.

At least you were honest about it before hand, 15:00 – 17:00.

1 Like