[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-in Event: Southwestern United States

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available for all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @Jummivana, @SeedyL3205, and @Pieter1982NL.

When: Friday, August 6 @ 1900Z for two hours.
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

[Edit: an earlier version of this post mentioned the flight was scheduled for 1300Z. That was a typo. The correct time is 1900Z as stated above.]

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

Flight plan: KDRO → Cliff Palace - Mesa Verde (POI) → Shiprock (POI) → 49AZ (Touch & Go) → Monument Valley (POI) → UT25

Pilots on the PC platform can download the .pln file for this flight plan here:
Community Fly-In 2021-08-06 Southwest USA.PLN (2.7 KB)

For Xbox pilots, I will spend the first few minutes of the stream quickly explaining how you can create your own flight plan using the World Map.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: Cessna 172, Cub Crafter X Cub, JMB VL-3, or similar

We will be starting at KDRO. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the taxiway or parking.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server North Europe
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Clear Skies
Time of Day Day time

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

9 Likes

Pretty cool, looking forward for the first Fly-In together with XBox simmers :slight_smile:
Positively surprised to see you being a Community Manger now, @SeedyL3205 :slight_smile:

6 Likes

SeedyL is our new community manager? Most excellent news! Your personality and demeanor are perfect for this job, and it should help poor Jayne get some more rest. Wishing you lots of luck!

Will do my best not to miss this one, should be very interesting with the new Xbox pilots indeed.

3 Likes

Yes! I’m so happy to have him aboard, he just started yesterday! We will make a more formal announcement soon but his help has already been wonderful.

5 Likes

This sounds great and I’d love to try it out and I’ll be on Xbox series x and looking forward to it :+1:

3 Likes

It will probably be a complete and utter chaos.

Wouldn’t miss it for the world!

7 Likes

Aawww man, I wish I had time for this! Oh well, another time, have fun guys.

1 Like

Apart from the stressy times we’ve had many flights every Friday and each time it was fun. So there’ll be other opportunities for you.
I can also recommend to check the other group flights, there might be less participants but it’s a nice opportunity to talk to each other rather than “just” listening to the hosts :slight_smile:

Isn’t that the whole point of it? :laughing:
I remember one of the first Fly-Ins where we tried to do a loop all together and I crashed. At least now I know to turn off damage for these events :smiley:

3 Likes

Not complete tech savvy unfortunately lol but how and where to join in chat if I will be flying on Xbox please and would it mean a second screen? Thanks!

1 Like

The main “show” is on the MSFS Twitch channel: Twitch
So I suggest simply opening it on your mobile phone or tablet with sound enabled.

You don’t necessarily need to watch it all the time but it’s useful to simply listen to the hosts/guests, makes coordination easier since just flying the flight plan isn’t the fun part :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok cool I’ll get it on my iPad for comfort, thanks very much :+1:

2 Likes

Does it cause any issues to play in live time settings in multiplayer if everyone one else is using daytime? 1300z will be right at sunrise in NE AZ. It’ll be beautiful. I so want to join if I can wake up early enough. I live in Flagstaff just SW of there, thinking it would be fun if I take off from my home airport KFLG in time to meet up, or I can sleep in on my day off.

Hi @YellowNumberV,

Thanks for your post. The correct start time for this event is actually 1900Z, not 1300Z. That was a mistake on my part, and I’ve since fixed the OP.

To answer your question, there is no issue with setting either the in-sim time or weather to your own personal preference. We even sometimes adjust the time or weather on the fly to showcase the scenery under different conditions. One thing to check is to make sure your Multiplayer Settings are set too All Players rather than Live Players. If it’s on Live Players, then you will only be able to see other planes that are also flying under Live Weather/Time conditions. Hope to see you in the skies on Friday!

And I think for the XBox people it’s worth to emphasize that you have to select the correct server since group flights usually no longer contain more detailed description on this.

@YellowNumberV and @JohnBrace :
To do so, in the main menu or in the ingame pause menu select your xbox profile in the upper right corner and there you’ll find a dropdown for the server.
Usually the Group Flights state the server they’re flying on, it is not necessarily the one with the best connection for you but it has to be the one mentioned for the flight.
In this case, select “NORTH EUROPE” from the list to make sure you can see the participants.

Also don’t be surprised, on such big group flights you’ll never see all aircraft, just around 30 closest to you. They might appear and disappear as you’re moving along, that’s normal due to the limitations of the sim right now.
Sometimes the big nametags block the view especially on approach for landing or touch&go, so choose wisely if you want to have the nametags (in General Options - Traffic) enabled or not. With them disabled you might have a hard time to follow the bunch though once you lose them.

If you join in late, you can first select the right server as mentioned above and then you’ll see green aircraft flying along the route on the World Map. You can select any of these aircraft as departure and you’ll be spawned right at that location and altitude. This also helps getting back in if you have a CTD or you crash :slight_smile:

To find the flying bunch on the World Map, find KDRO using the departure search box ingame and follow roughly this route westwards to find the many green aircraft flying along. Then follow the spawn instructions above.

4 Likes

So glad it’s 19:00 as I’ll be in Moscow, Russia and that’s 22:00 so perfect timing for me :+1:
Thanks for the heads up about servers etc and all understood.

2 Likes

Oh thank goodness, I can sleep in and can also eat my cake by taking off from Flagstaff before the meet. Now NAZ summer afternoon weather isn’t as friendly because of monsoons if people were wanting to do live, but it seems there is a break in the weather right now till Monday.

1 Like

Just in case there is a misunderstanding:
If you set live weather, you get the live weather at the location you’re flying, not where you live :slight_smile: since we’re flying in the US, the weather there is relevant.

Yes you might have misunderstood me, I was indeed talking about possible heavy storms in the area of the flightplan in northern Arizona, which just so happens to be local for me. It is typical this time of year for storms, but I did check and it seems fine for now.

1 Like

Indeed a misunderstanding, mea culpa :slight_smile:
See you in the skies!