[OFFICIAL] Community Fly-in Event: Vancouver Island

Pictured above: Vancouver Island

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available for all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @Jummivana, @SeedyL3205, @Pieter1982NL, @FactualGull1036, and @zkdos.

When: Friday, September 3 @ 1900Z for two hours.
2021-09-03T19:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

This week, we’ll be exploring scenic Vancouver Island on Canada’s Pacific coast. Take-off is from Port McNeill, with a flight plan that takes us on a generally southeasterly heading through a scenic valley en route to our final destination of Victoria, the provincial capital of British Columbia. During the flight, we’ll complete a handful of touch and go landings at Woss, Campbell River, Comox, Qualicum Beach, and Nanaimo.

Flight plan: CAT5 → CAK4 (Touch & Go) → CYBL (Touch & Go) → CYQQ (Touch & Go) → CAT4 (Touch & Go) → CYCD (Touch & Go) → CYYJ

Pilots on the PC platform can download the .pln file for this flight here:
Community Fly-In 2021-09-03 Vancouver Island.PLN (6.5 KB)

For Xbox pilots, I will spend the first few minutes of the stream quickly explaining how you can create your own flight plan using the World Map. Alternatively, you can simply fly along with the group without using a pre-defined flight plan.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: Cirrus SR22, Extra 330LT, Beechcraft Bonanza, or similar.

We will be starting at CAT5. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the taxiway or parking.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server North Europe
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Day time

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

15 Likes

Nice, I will be there again to join the fun. See you all Friday

3 Likes

Amazing :+1: and so looking forward for my first online Fly-In with MSFS2020 on PC !!!

3 Likes

Great to see FactualGull will be joining us again!

3 Likes

This will be my first fly-in as well. I’m on the Series X. Already have my flight plan ready to go! Speaking of which, I learned how to do it myself :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m also joining the party. Is there someone who can explane me how to install my headphone/speaker in Discord. If possible in Dutch.
Thanks, Walter

2 Likes

After spending a few weeks developing a scenery pack along Vancouver Island and the West Coast, we agree this is a flight you don’t want to miss. Absolutely some stunning scenery (if not raining) along the Island area. Can’t wait to join this flight!

4 Likes

Cool… i’ll try and join in

2 Likes

Regarding XBox users, I have seen in the past that spawning on a player with a loaded flight plan loads that plan into your own GPS.

Perhaps an XBox user could spawn on a PC player?

2 Likes

Newbie Question :thinking: : How do you load the flight plan into MSFS2020 ?
Thanks !

Download the flight plan in any location on your PC (preferably one that is easy to find, like the Desktop). In the World Map, click the “More” button in the bottom menu to open up more options, and then click “Load/Save”. Select “LOAD” from the prompt, and then a window will open up where you can locate the flight plan on your PC. Open it and you are ready to go!

2 Likes

Hi @FlightSimGUA,

Are you playing on PC or Xbox?

1 Like

He said in an earlier post that this will be his first fly-in on the PC.

1 Like

Hi @SeedyL3205 yes PC, thank you !

1 Like

I really appreciate @ChaoticSplendid thank you :clap:

1 Like

In that case, see @ChaoticSplendid’s post above.

For anyone else reading this who plays on Xbox, unfortunately it is not possible to download a .pln file from the web and load it in MSFS. To participate in this flight, just start at CAT5 on the North Europe server at the designated time and follow the swarm.

2 Likes

Thank You & Ready !!!

3 Likes

My home location! Come over for bevvies at my place later…

2 Likes

Looking forward to this, got a new Thrustmaster t16000m hotas arriving in the morning too so will be a perfect test flight for it!

6 Likes