[Official] Community Fly-In Friday: Meigs Field

Note time change. Most of North America switched from Daylight Saving to Standard time last weekend. Accordingly, Community Fly-In Friday events now start at 2000Z, not 1900Z. We will switch back to 1900Z in March.

We will be hosting an Official Fly-in alongside a group of community members (you!) on Twitch. This is an open event, free to all who would like to fly along with us and available to pilots of all skill levels. The goal is to have a great time, explore new locations of the world, and make new friends. This event is open to pilots on both the PC and Xbox platforms.

Hosted by @SeedyL3205, @Jummivana, @Pieter2427, and @simtom2

When: Friday, November 11 @ 2000Z for two hours.
2022-11-11T20:00:00Z
Where: The Official Twitch Channel of MSFS

There will also be a Discord event channel open for those who want to voice chat with other members of the community.

Please see below for details on the upcoming Fly-In Event:

FLIGHT DETAILS

It’s the view that launched the flight simming careers of tens of millions of aviation fans: a Cessna ready for takeoff at the end of Chicago’s Meigs Field runway 36. This airport was the default starting location for every version of MSFS up to MSFS 2004. As part of the 40th Anniversary Edition update, we are bringing Meigs Field back by popular demand from the community. Join us this week for a flight in the US Midwest as we fly over Chicago and then onwards to Detroit.

Pilots on PC can download the .pln file here:
2022-11-11 Meigs Field 40th Anniversary Flight.PLN (2.8 KB)

We will be starting at KCGX. Please load your aircraft 10 minutes prior to take off and taxi over to the runway in preparation for departure.

AIRCRAFT

Recommended aircraft: any plane of your choice with a cruise speed of around ~120 knots. Examples: Cessna 172, CubCrafters X or NX Cub, Pipistrel Virus, Pilatus PC-6 Porter, etc.

MULTIPLAYER SETTINGS

Please adhere to the following settings so you can see everyone / be seen by everyone.

Variable Setting
Server SE Asia
Multiplayer All Players
Live traffic As preferred
Weather Few Clouds
Time of Day Daytime

It is advised in this flight to turn off both aircraft collisions and terrain collisions. If you do crash, you can use “slew” mode to join the pack. If the pack will be too scattered before the first stop, we will use slew on a defined point to regroup.

COMMUNICATION

To communicate with others, a voice channel on the "Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Discord” at https://discord.gg/msfs will be available to join.

LET’S FLY

This is meant to be a fun and informal flight. Everybody is welcome, no matter the amount of experience.

13 Likes

Do you need the Meigs addon for this, as Meigs is now a park?

1 Like

Hello @VanHamsteren,

Meigs Field is being re-added to MSFS as part of the base sim with the free 40th Anniversary Edition update releasing on Friday.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

14 Likes

So how will this be handled? When Setting the Date in the Sim to a day that Meigs was still there then Meigs is there, and if set to a Date after it was closed then is is not there?
Cause I am not really a fan of havin something in the sim that is Not actually there in real life. (I already have Meigs Field installed by the way as it is already in the Marketplace) how will this be handled for example? Or will the new Meigs just be that one already available in the store, but now free for all, as an optional thing?

1 Like

I’m very curious about this airport added back, will it be a free addon you have to get from marketplace and if you don’t want it for some reason, just remove it from content manager? and later reinstall in case you want it back?

PS: there was a mod back in FS2004 that added back the World Trade Center but it was linked to the MSFS calendar (you had to set it on a date before 9/11 to see it)

Will the

MSFS 40th Anniversary Edition

https://fselite.net/content/msfs-40th-anniversary-edition-date-announcement-local-legends-and-city-update-1/ come with any supporting Charts for it’s Historic Meigs ?

if you have a paid airport for Meigs the sim used that’s if you don’t have now is a default airport. And is not closed based on the date is just scenery. if you don’t like it just don’t install the airport

So is there a way after installing the MSFS 40th Anniversary Edition, to optionally have the current Real World Meigs, and switch the Historic MSFS one On & Off (easily) ? - as one can currently with the great 3rd Parry Historic Meigs addon ( In Community folder).

Will be interesting to see how the Official MSFS 40th Anniversary Edition, compares with the current Freeware & Payware versions

(or if they are the same, and the 3PD benefited)

All, let’s get back on topic about the Fly-In event. You can take this discussion into:

1. A Direct Message

Or

1. A new topic (That isn’t a duplicate)

Thank you.

1 Like

[sarcasm] uhhh this really takes me out of the realism element, man

(this is super cool and I wish I could make it!)

1 Like

I’m ready! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s on flightsim.to now, but pending for review. I hope it’s ready for the fly-in!

If you want it now, head to my discord, I’ve posted the download link there.

17 Likes

Is there a way of opening the .pln file using a laptop so we can check the route and replicate it manually on our xboxes?

1 Like

Yes! Download the .Pln and open it in Notepad and read the Touch and Gos and Waypoints.

1 Like

LOL! The contrast of the ancient C172 with the modern scenery is fantastic

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s great, will do it now!

1 Like

I only discovered flight sim in 2018 so this is way before my time :rofl: now i understand why people are so fond of Meigs. have a good flight, wish I could make it.

1 Like

And I am 13 again playing on my Mac Classic! This is awesome on so many levels. What a great time to be a flight simmer. I can’t believe I didn’t think to take the day off.

It would’ve been even cooler if you released a Cessna Skylane 182RG, though, or at least a Sopwith Camel.

1 Like

Hi @LarryGopnik1748,

I hear you about the Cessna 182. If you’re feeling inclined, there is a Skylane from Carenado available in the Marketplace if you really want to re-live the old MSFS experience! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
MSFS Team

1 Like

I am also one of the ancient simmers who learned to fly into and out of Meg’s. I am 72 now and still actively love it. And gosh darn it I love MSFS 2020. I am also an early beta tester with some others in the initial development of multiplayer.

6 Likes